2015 Band season review and analysis

As I conclude my band reviews below it's based purely on video I watched, various alumni thoughts and honest opinion. This season was one of the best ones yet but I think next year will be better. The overhype & weather also had a big role but all in all 2015 was a great season; I'm sure someone will make a honda review..... BUT well here we go let the HONEST OPINIONS BEGIN & let's conduct ourselves seriously leggoo!!

AAMU: all in all I like this band this year everything from instrumentation to the hot smoking sassy divas (yess for curtisha). For aamu the only thing I think is to concentrate on recruiting and beefing up brass numbers; song selection could be improved but alot is based on instrumentation and sustaining musicality through out the song. I also enjoy seeing the value of balance to power intonation musical teaching from Mr wright it's greatly noticed (I think "sparkle" & "loves holiday" and all they're songs lol). The potential is through the roof for aamu to not only be 1c in the swac with jsu and su but ultimately to be the most versatile in the swac. Get them brass numbers up, consistency with the divas and direction and watch out for a consistent powerhouse in AAMU starting next year!!!

Alabama state: It's really hard to be justified by saying this but with alabama state I feel like it's the stingettes and everyone else that shows up with the band program; now the arrangements aren't up to participate but entertainment is which spells the in state competition is dwindling on them because kids know who's foreal and who's not in Alabama; to me the picking for kids in Bama is either aamu or talladega then miles then state but the stingettes are the highlight for them all else is a work in progress we'll see idk....

Alcorn state: I'm going to be short and simple to me alcorn is the band that on the right occasion can end your day in all phases if they want to but my favorite thing about them this year was the aggression and the golden girls. Alcorn is looking mighty good given consistency in numbers

MVSU: I didn't watch that much video (only one video clip) but I can honestly say alot of their struggles is due to being the low ball "band" school in Mississippi until they can compete in state it's going to be hard for you guys keep ya head up tho!!!!

Jackson state: (awww shiii) first off congrats for the historic accomplishment of 339 members. But to analyze this year for Jsu to me it was good but not great you could tell it felt transitional for the band administration and staff but I know jsu will be jsu all around great band and competitor however I will say I would highly think about putting a number cap at about 275 to 300 tops. I think they hype got to the heads but I will say I enjoyed 2013 and 2014 jsu more than this year. Lastly the jsettes I enjoyed them at a smaller number too the captain was great and you can really appreciate there work. Can't wait to see the 2016 edition.

UAPB: reminds me of a meac band you know what you're gonna get and it's gonna be consistent it's not to much and not to little just enough. I will say "shame" sounded really good second best to BCU version.

PVAMU: Great come up numbers and musician wise to me this was the surprise band in the swac that I didn't even see coming I will be paying more attention next year. I like the rich sound too not to much it's balanced out just right.

TXSU: reminds me alot of mvsu but with more structural distrust by this I mean I feel like the band program instrumentation could be their but I feel like stadium administration and personnel wise the structure isn't there no more maybe leadership is the cause but txsu can still rock tho.

Southern: southern is actually hard to evaluate but in a good way it's almost like there so musically good (except for them tubas jeez) that I find myself looking at there director mr Haymer and feel like southern is more of a stand and battle band. Like I feel dissapointed in the field shows because they seem the same and the sound is to great and pure to waste opportunity; side note the dolls y'all were great and really loved n appreciate connor but with southern you know you gone get a band that's gone bring it game in game out to me it's what gives them that 1a title in the swac.

Grambling state: grambling to me is a mixture of potential and "stuckness" because you have some southern nut riders in lousiana that don't know how to appreciate grambling's balance approach; but however after watching the bayou classic botb's several times grambling really got that I feel like it was there high point. Keep the consistent numbers up and arrangements and the two lousiana bands could be equal.

Bethune cookman: always loving and impressed with the sound and arrangements and damn sure loved the arrangement of shame. I feel the same really about the meac bands it's consistency you know what your gonna get but to me BCU is complete which is what is different between bcu and ncat/famu they can get at you in stands and field too.

FAMU: great job really just wanna see you guys get back to your standards of size and noticability. Famu set that Florida classic off though.

NCAT: what can I say golden delight is always so delightful and ncat has some of the best field shows but I can't critique the stands cuz let's be honest meac bands don't pop off in the stands.

Talladega: I really don't know what to say I honestly think talladega is still stuck in which band they wanna be more like southern or jackson state the power is damn sure there and the swag is too but overall I can't grasp my hands on them I just honestly feel like they always and forever will be that botb's and parade band and no more. Basically a band to play with as much power as they can no musicality.

Miles: on the real the competition in Alabama to me is between aamu and miles. Miles showed me this year that they legit should be in the swac just for band purposes because they can handle they're own. Still alot of power to balance struggles but miles is looking good. Big ups and respect to you guys.

Tennessee state: always loving and respect this band to me there a combination of meac consistency and swac surprise element. I can only imagine if Tennessee state had 2014 size every year my lord!! But I really enjoy tsu I know what ima get and I know that tsu will always keep the deepest book in hbcu always a very pleasing sound just wish there dancers could maybe find new direction or something to good of a band to have that "minor" eye soar but all in all consistent and good.

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I must say my brother that you're pretty much spot on with your 2015 reviews. I can truly say as well that with my band it definitely was a transitional year with a new boom director and the size. During the last 4,5 games you could actually see and hear everything coming together and the blend in the sound. That lets us know that Roderick Little has gotten used to managing that large group and that's why we are extremely excited about the 2016 season. That young trumpet section got stronger each game and towards the end was starting to sound like trumpfunk again. With that maturity coming back and about 15- 20 more trumpets for next season they should be a force because all other sections will pretty much be intact and the total size,believe it or not,will be still around 339 or more because we didn't have many seniors at all. The only thing that set our field shows back a little were the dance routines because the booms drills were some of the best and complex this past season,straight lines and precision. Little actually changed the drills up more than Taylor did. You're absolutely right as well about the last 2 yrs as far as sound, if the boom gets back to that balance from 2013 they will be a force and the added trumpet numbers and arrangements that show the balance should fix that. I just expanded upon our band because i saw them each week in person during the season and only saw other bands from video. My favorite band that i heard in person this past season was PV marching storm with,like you said,the dark rich sound and great balance that's pleasing to the ears and Alcorn just keeps getting better each year. Su will always be Su(consistent). Overall,as you stated,i saw many great things in 2015 from the swac bands that makes me anticipate next season already and non swac wise, my favorite and best sounding band is always Tenn State that i hear in person. Talk about a great balanced sound year in and year out and another of my favorites that I've yet to hear in person is Bethune Cookman. Sometimes their band sounds like a cd playing on certain slow songs(beautiful) and on some songs Aamu sounds that way. An example would be the song Sparkle. If you closed your eyes and didn't know who it was,i swear they sounded like Bethune Cookman on that song(beautiful)! Thanks again for your wonderful synopsis and always keeping things real and in perspective!
  • Great analysis. I will give my input after I get done traveling. This year was a great year for HBCU Marching bands. I can't wait for Honda and then 2016.

P.s. As far as numbers for AAMU... don't forget AAMU will have OUT-OF-STATE waiver. Stay tuned! ACT and GPA must continue to be on par like always.

• Oh yes!!! I feel like 2016 will be better because several swac bands got there feet wet and have stepped up there game to me the only band that is a dissapointment is mvsu there identity is unknown hopefully the comments will be honest and truthful I know y'all boomsop and J_AAMU you guys bring that real. But yes JSU will be consistent next year I believe.

J_AAMU said:

Great analysis. I will give my input after I get done traveling. This year was a great year for HBCU Marching bands. I can't wait for Honda and then 2016.

P.s. As far as numbers for AAMU... don't forget AAMU will have OUT-OF-STATE waiver. Stay tuned! ACT and GPA must continue to be on par like always.

As I conclude my band reviews below it's based purely on video I watched, various alumni thoughts and honest opinion. This season was one of the best…
  • I haven't seen a clip of Valley all year,don't know what's going on with them! They have an excellent director! The way the swac bands performed in 2015 im thinking that 2016 will be one of the best years we have seen in a long time and the difference now is that it used to be Su and Jsu always at the top year end and year out but now there's so much parity that you can get your ass handed to you by any swac band except Valley if you slip up! Others are catching up and band staffs have gotten so much better and i love it. Makes you stay on your game!
  • You said that n that was my thought going into the season the only game you can take off band wise is vs mvsu outside of them you gotta bring your A game every week!!!

boomsop said:
    I haven't seen a clip of Valley all year,don't know what's going on with them! They have an excellent director! The way the swac bands performed in 2015 im thinking that 2016 will be one of the best years we have seen in a long time and the difference now is that it used to be Su and Jsu always at the top year end and year out but now there's so much parity that you can get your ass handed to you by any swac band except Valley if you slip up! Others are catching up and band staffs have gotten so much better and i love it. Makes you stay on your game!
    As I conclude my band reviews below it's based purely on video I watched, various alumni thoughts and honest opinion. This season was one of the best…
  • Yea i remember you saying that and now i truly understand what you meant!
  • If any one wants to do just a dance perspective of this go right ahead I only pay attention to a couple to really provide good analysis....
  • Did anyone see anything from mvsu like I feel they were almost forgotten it's like they don't even have a program.

• At the rate they have been going the interest for them is simply not there. 2013 I did however notice they had  a new spark to them, especially at the MVSU vs FAMU game. After that, it's been quite sad for them. Well no, I take some of that back, the Band director seems to be trying to work on the sound abit for them but still

XLMbeatzzz said:

Did anyone see anything from mvsu like I feel they were almost forgotten it's like they don't even have a program.

• Jsettes- With the suspended jsettes back and the others from this past year and a couple of freshman, they will be unstoppable.

Stingettes- field shows haven't been exciting this year like last year, stands are always on point .

Dolls-I personally loved Connor as captain, she was so graceful ex: he loves boombox Classic, there halftime wasn't bringing any fire; I was expecting more

Black Foxes- loose the head bands, they had a great season, field shows were some of the best ever; I think they could get 12-15 girls because they can get sloopy

Dancing Divas- great season, I saw that know they have found their own, uniforms could be better but other than that y'all danced y'all butts off

Golden Girls- they walked with the ramp at CCC, and I was like wow they ready to battle. They have a good fight, they battled to the end. On the field the could be a little more cleaner; they are slowly improving and working on their style

Motion of the Ocean- more number and better coreography will put them back in the top teirs.

Orchesis- continue to grow your brand and good season espically at the bayou classic botb
This reply was deleted.