Views: 4154

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen that routine before and I stand by what I said.  That routine was great but it had nothing on the things that are being done now when it comes to stunts and blind transitions.  

DancingBear said:

Not true!

Take a look at this J-Settes routine from 1986!

LISA said:

Mrs. Oatis girls were not dancing like this either.  The routines then were much simpler than they are now.  Mrs. Worthy brought about the rapid fire stunt heavy routines.  Mrs. Oatis girls should have been clean as a whistle. 

DancingBear said:

Mrs. Oatis J-Settes was known for precision and dancing together that was error free! How has Kayla dancing back? If you're on the ground, rolling around and your feet are not touching the ground, that's not dancing. lol

Stuntboi06 said:

LOL if we speaking on J Sette roots then KG has taken the Settes deeper into their roots than any Captain for a while. The Settes were always known for technical elements under Mrs, Oatis and I enjoy the that KG has brought more dancing back than trick heavy routines. This routine was far from a mess, they do need to remove the kicks at the beginning and change that flip at the end so that its more together but however this was a nice routine in my book and after a lil cleaning will be good.KG has a different vision for the team and just like how each captain that has come through has given their vision KG is doing the same, it will not be everyone's cup of tea, but the Alumni has asked for more dancing to return and KG has provided that.

As far as the Morgan comment yeah 16 was shaky because all of the drama, but Morgan's 17 season was slept on because of the ongoing drama of 16 and Cip not getting Captain. 

The Settes are in a league of there own and untouchable when it comes to style. So much so that I don’t even miss the technique that I demand from other teams. BUT if they are going to do it, start slow and humble, and/or highlight the ones that can do it in select groups or small solos. I mean those turns had disconnected passés with flexed feet! I like the routine, just modify it so it’s cleaner and everybody has a chance to look good and feel capable. 

Now this is a review I can agree with. There is somethings that need to be fixed cleaned, but to say the routine was a total mess or terrible is hard for me to see lol

Drammy04 said:

The Settes are in a league of there own and untouchable when it comes to style. So much so that I don’t even miss the technique that I demand from other teams. BUT if they are going to do it, start slow and humble, and/or highlight the ones that can do it in select groups or small solos. I mean those turns had disconnected passés with flexed feet! I like the routine, just modify it so it’s cleaner and everybody has a chance to look good and feel capable. 

I thought the Settes did good. Just a little cleaning up of the stunts. And it will be a stellar performance! 

Will be great to be back in Jacktown for the first home game next week then homecoming after that.  This season is just getting started.  The band and the Settes are bringing a special brand of heat this year.  The level is off the chain.  That Kayla is a boss, and she has a strong team of beautiful athletic dancers.  Fans are happyyyy.

Ok, I guess I'll just give my 2 cents. I personally don't think the routine was that bad.  However, I will say that it's not one of those routines that in like 10 years the then j-settes will be like "lets do that circle city classic routine from 2019."  It wasn't like "Oh my God, I need to see that again"  But I can say that it did have alot of energy and you can tell it takes alot of stamina to perform it.  I will add this though, and this isn't just directed towards the j-settes but for all dance teams period, hbcu or whatever.  Whenever you perform a routine, specifically if you have certain stunts that you know everybody probably won't get, you either need to cut it out of the routine or magnify it in some way.  Seriously.  I know as a dancer myself, that's very annoying.  Why would you include certain elements in a routine that you know everybody can't do or half a$$ does?  That makes no sense to me.  That stunt at the end, one girl didn't even do it full out, she just fell into the position, like wtf?  A routine can be great and little things like that can really mess it up.  And flexed feet, that's dancer 101.  Flexed feet is a no no.  Save that for Alcorn.  But overall, the routine was energy packed and it was ok for what it was.  I definitely don't think it's the worst.  But Kayla I think as a captain is just bringing her personal style to add to the j-sette legacy.  Every captain does it.  Whether it's for the better, that's anybody's opinion.  She's dope in the stands.  And I'm excited to see what new counts she's going to bring for Southern and Homecoming.  As far as her fields, I'm not going to lie, I haven't been too impressed.  IMO, there hasn't been a memorable field routine from her.  I'm not saying they weren't good, just not memorable.  I wish to the HBCU dance gods, that she could bring back or come up with a routine like "swoop"  That routine has stood the test of time and can honestly go against these new routines.  But overall, I think she's great. She has alot of potential.  She just needs to clean up her routines. Sometimes I think they look like they're "j-settish" but not "j-sette" if that makes sense. I would hate for the j-settes to get to the point that they start looking like everybody else. A style can be evolved but still maintain it's signature style.  

Eric said:

J-Settes @6:45 K-Rettes @4:20

One word to describe the J-Settes's routine, excessive. The J-Settes got on the carpet entirely too much. Sometimes less is more. I hope the next J-Settes Captain isn't a Kayla protege. Kayla's marching, parading and choreographing skills should be placed in a box and buried when she graduates. In 1971 the Jaycettes were formed because the Majorettes wanted to put the batons down and dance, it's seems J-Settes tradition has been lost. No Dancing, just a lot of floor exercises and stunting. I hope and pray the next J-Settes Captain is a dancer and not another calisthenics/floor exercises guru!

LOL Kayla teams have done way more dancing than any squad in a while. During this whole routine they only went to the ground 3 times which is called changing elevation in a routine. Even if you watch professional dancers they utilize the floor as well. LOL did we watch the same routine?

Tiger Trail said:

One word to describe the J-Settes's routine, excessive. The J-Settes got on the carpet entirely too much. Sometimes less is more. I hope the next J-Settes Captain isn't a Kayla protege. Kayla's marching, parading and choreographing skills should be placed in a box and buried when she graduates. In 1971 the Jaycettes were formed because the Majorettes wanted to put the batons down and dance, it's seems J-Settes tradition has been lost. No Dancing, just a lot of floor exercises and stunting. I hope and pray the next J-Settes Captain is a dancer and not another calisthenics/floor exercises guru!

RSS

© 2020   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service