Every HBCU Dance Team has copied something from the Prancing J-Settes. After 43 years at JSU, The Prancing J-Settes sponsor from 1975 to 1997, Nara Dean Oatis has retired. The thing I remember the most about the Narah Dean Oatis era, were the false eyelashes, fishnet stockings, pony tails and class, poise, charm and beauty. Oh, and the awesome dance routines. I have to give the late Hollis Pippin, J-Settes choreographer, ex-twirler and the believed creator of J-Setting, some credit for those awesome routines.

He started out as drum major. When Helen Ford, who later became Miss Black America, came to J State, the two of them were twirlers who performed with The Boom as The Ebony Twins. At the same time, he was a stern task master as choreographer for the J-Settes. After he graduated and went to Hollywood, Helen became a J-Sette.

Narah Dean Oatis   Image result for hollis pippin images

Narah Dean Oatis                           Hollis Pippin

http://www.jsumsnews.com/?p=35710&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=thee-i-love-celebrates-jsu-retirees

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Votes: 0

Replies

• Mrs. Oatis didn't play! She and her assistant, Bettye Hood were like drill sergeants. lol

• I CONCUR SPEEDY!!!!!
  • Mrs. Oatis and the Prancing J-Settes are the originators and trendsetters. The Prancing J-Settes gave us, Bucking, costume changes at halftime at each game, entering the field from the visitor's side of the field by hiding behind band members before a performance. Imitation and copying the Prancing J-Setttes by other dance teams is the sincerest form of flattery!

• MS GRACIE Perkins OF THE DOLLS FROM THE SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY OF BATON ROUGE LOUISIANA is THE trendsetter!!!! #KNOWYOURHISTORY
  • lol Narah Dean Oatis and the Settes were trendsetters whether you want to give her her proper creadit or not out of shade and hate, but it will still not change the fact!! #Iconic #Trendsetter

I will never forget one of her funniest and famous quotes to us.......

"If you don't show it then you don't throw it, and if you don't throw it then that must mean you don't know it, and if you don't know it then you don't go. Well if you do go then so, it's that simple folks."

Translation :You throw nothing that you haven't shown her in practice before the performance, and if you don't throw nothing interesting in practice then you will be cut. Mrs. O didn't play and for a small woman she packed a large punch. I love you always MRs. O O! 

• Back to this argument again for the 10 millionth time.

In other news congrats to Mrs. O on her retirement, it's well deserved.

• Now you know better lol

Christopher said:

Back to this argument again for the 10 millionth time.

In other news congrats to Mrs. O on her retirement, it's well deserved.

After 43 years, the HBCU Dance Team trendsetter and innovator has retired and has been inducted int…
    Every HBCU Dance Team has copied something from the Prancing J-Settes. After 43 years at JSU, The Prancing J-Settes sponsor from 1975 to 1997, Nara D…
  • Hollis Pippin died in 1994.

BAND/MUSIC said:

is hollis pippin alive??

After 43 years, the HBCU Dance Team trendsetter and innovator has retired and has been inducted int…
    Every HBCU Dance Team has copied something from the Prancing J-Settes. After 43 years at JSU, The Prancing J-Settes sponsor from 1975 to 1997, Nara D…
  • Some Narah Dean Oatis era Prancing J-Settes Photos.

6663081689?profile=originalaa41a0a3-7240-4921-acd4-99054c025766_2520.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnt4WBjuimaRtlsKdP01E6xzsUqgNH_Iaqb1qSPratYTgTya1z

• More Narah Dean Oatis era Prancing J-Settes Photos.

Image result for 1986 prancing J-settes images

Image result for 1986 prancing J-settes images

Related image

Related image

Related image

Image result for 1985 prancing J-settes images

This reply was deleted.