After 43 years, the HBCU Dance Team trendsetter and innovator has retired and has been inducted into the JSU Sports Hall of Fame!

Every HBCU Dance Team has copied something from the Prancing J-Settes. After 43 years at JSU, The Prancing J-Settes sponsor from 1975 to 1997, Nara Dean Oatis has retired. The thing I remember the most about the Narah Dean Oatis era, were the false eyelashes, fishnet stockings, pony tails and class, poise, charm and beauty. Oh, and the awesome dance routines. I have to give the late Hollis Pippin, J-Settes choreographer, ex-twirler and the believed creator of J-Setting, some credit for those awesome routines.

He started out as drum major. When Helen Ford, who later became Miss Black America, came to J State, the two of them were twirlers who performed with The Boom as The Ebony Twins. At the same time, he was a stern task master as choreographer for the J-Settes. After he graduated and went to Hollywood, Helen became a J-Sette.

Narah Dean Oatis   Image result for hollis pippin images

Narah Dean Oatis                           Hollis Pippin

http://www.jsumsnews.com/?p=35710&utm_source=rss&utm_medium...

Views: 4720

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

AHHHHH feels like old times in here.... I love it 

tehehehe needed a little spice around here.

Nastacia Nati by Nature De Sousa said:

AHHHHH feels like old times in here.... I love it 

lol Hunni just because you were first doesn't mean you where a Trendsetter lol There's been plenty of firsts who did not set a trend until those who came after them brought competition. Yes the GGs might have been the first, but trendsetters and they were not, now in the past years they have been revamping and I have to give it to them been serving, but their style has even changed more to the Sette style than the original GG style so trendsetters is a far cry...I'll leave it at that.

Prodigy said:

if you aren't celebrating your 50th you aren't an originator, that term belongs to the GGs

trendsetters? I'd give that to the Jackson State Drum majors 

What about the Southern Mississippi's Dixie Darlings? I think they were first College Dance Team formed in Mississippi.

BAND/MUSIC said:

two different styles.... j settes (bucking) & GGs (pelvic thrust) 50th vs. 48th (big deal). GGs the first to dance on the field (while JSU used batons on the field), but the jsettes was the first to become legendary.  i couldnt even find a official website for your band and wasnt one of your founders Samuel Griffin (band and GG's) received his Bachelor’s Degree in Music from Jackson State University and his Master’s Degree from the University of Southern Mississippi. 

The Rangerettes were the first college drill team created in 1939 by Miss Gussie Nell Davis. In 1960, Barbara Tidwell, a former Kilgore College Rangerette, created the Strutters at Southwest Texas State University (now Texas State University), the first precision dance team created at a four-year university.

Prodigy said:

if you aren't celebrating your 50th you aren't an originator, that term belongs to the GGs

trendsetters? I'd give that to the Jackson State Drum majors 

Mrs. Oatis training in stage presence, charm, poise, beauty techniques and fashion sense surpassed Mrs. Worthy's. Mrs. Worthy was Ok. Chloe is Ok. Mrs. Oatis is legendary.

Justin S. said:

Yeah let's not bring Mrs. Worthy into this. Both sponsors worked very hard during their time with the J-settes and they don't deserve to be compared to one another. 

May I add, the Prancing J-Settes were the first HBCU Dance Team to perform a different halftime routine for every home game. As usual, the majority of HBCU Dance Teams copied.

D said:

Mrs. Oatis and the Prancing J-Settes are the originators and trendsetters. The Prancing J-Settes gave us, Bucking, costume changes at halftime at each game, entering the field from the visitor's side of the field by hiding behind band members before a performance. Imitation and copying the Prancing J-Setttes by other dance teams is the sincerest form of flattery!

THANKS PRODIGY FOR LETTING THEM KNOW WHO WE ARE: THE DOLLS OF, THE SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY OF BATON ROUGE LOUISIANA IS CELEBRATING 50 YEARS OF DOLLARATION, IN THESE UNITED STATES OF BLACK AMERICA AMEN
AND THE power's THAT BE ARE STILL asking for THEM to PERFORM !!!

I think you misread something honrae darling (As usual). He said the GGs not the Dolls lol

honrae rokermore said:

THANKS PRODIGY FOR LETTING THEM KNOW WHO WE ARE: THE DOLLS OF, THE SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY OF BATON ROUGE LOUISIANA IS CELEBRATING 50 YEARS OF DOLLARATION, IN THESE UNITED STATES OF BLACK AMERICA AMEN
AND I meant WHAT I said stunt tweeter....WE ARE 50 to ....DON'T try and discredit GREATNESS!!!!!

lol Honrae sweetie no one is discrediting the Dolls lol And I can tell you meant what you said even though you were WRONG on what you said again!! Seriously no one here had mentioned them until you came in added your incorrect commentary.

honrae rokermore said:

AND I meant WHAT I said stunt tweeter....WE ARE 50 to ....DON'T try and discredit GREATNESS!!!!!

There is no argument. If you aren't celebrating your 50th you didn't originate anything. You adapted and provided additives to the original HBCU dance concept created by the Pioneer Samuel Griffin and Alcorn's original 8 Golden Girls.

http://magnoliastatelive.com/alcorn-state-golden-girls-put-40-year-...

as for Southern's Dancing Dolls they will celebrate their 50th in 2019, one year after the Golden Girls celebrate their 50th 2018.  https://www.instagram.com/theforeverdolls/?hl=en

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service