Mahogany n Motion Demonstrate the Tryout Routine at the 2017 Audition

MnM Dance Team demonstrates the 2017 Tryout Routine

#2-Brelynn, 16-17 Banner Girl and 4time candidate made the team

Brelynn went from "Playing the Back" to Making the Team. One of the dancers upfront is slick looking over her shoulder. Brelynn coming up on the rear.

Brelynn Banner Girl Chronicles:

Audition Clinic #1: Mahogany ended the first Audition Clinic on a high note with The #viewslide.

mcdt 15

• The First Freshman to ever make the mcdt (2015).
  • Dance Major at Spelman, c/o 19 (Possible 2yr Captain)
  • Atlanta, GA Native
  • HS: West Lake Mane Attraction (4yr vet)

2016 Audition - MnM @ 6:20 - Jaz on the far right.

Floor View:

2015 Audition

(Jazmine Freshman tryout routine @ 8:00) Jazmine F. (mcdt 15) and Morgan T.(Banner Girl 15' mcdt 16') perform the tryout routine.

Any Thoughts?

Views: 2107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We must not be looking at the same factors, how can my perception be so different that yours? Out of the last 6 mcdt auditions the 2017 audition is arguably top 2 IMO; 4 of the last 6 I have footage for. At this audition the Judges had callbacks; An indication in itself that the judges were having some deliberation as it relates to the final team. To me the footwork in this routine had to be so precise and Bandheads will see several examples of that. Brelynn was one of the young ladies that got called back but unfortunately that did not work in her favor in fact it worked against her; However, the Fan Favorite portion and her previous experience as a Banner Girl may have give her a slight edge. Just keeping it 100.

As far as the Denajah comparison I don't see that either. Brelynn tried out for GD in 14 after attending several GD clinics. She then went on to try out for Mahogany in 14, 15, 16, and made mcdt in 2017. This is after having one of the most high profile Banner Girl Chronicles in the History of HBCU in this Information Age and Social Media Takeover. How does this even remotely compare to Denajah calm to fame, not taking anything away from her. Now who's did you say was Reaching? lol

K.K. said:

Congrats to Brelynn, but that audition wasn't Mahogany caliber. I stand behind my previous assertion that she doesn't have the chops, or even the MnM swag/sass. I'm almost annoyed knowing that field shows are either gonna have to be watered down or that she's gonna be hidden in the back somewhere giving subpar technique, low leaps, and messy turns. This is basically a duplicate case of what the Stingettes did with Denajah.

On the other hand, I'm excited to see the full audition footage. I've heard a lot about these young ladies leading up to auditions (specifically Deanna and this little chocolate #5), so I'm anxious to see how they hit the floor. Also excited to have another DeKalb County dancer on the squad in Gabby, shows that we've still got some powerhouse programs despite the recent decline. Definitely glad to have another larger line, those tend to bode well for Mahogany, just based on history. Really hoping everyone sticks it out through band camp and makes it to the first game (and through the whole season).

Just judging from this MCDT photo, the look is certainly back..... very attractive, appealing girls; makeup is on point, bodies are on point, and I can't wait to see what they look like in full gameday regalia. Only one minor thing that's aggravating me (which I know firsthand from experience is a BIG thing with Mahogany) is these mismatched tights..... we got some girls who belong in the chocolate & caramel tights club rocking the french toast tights. Gotta fix that ASAP.

P.S. -- These shirts w/ the lines on the back are adorable.... as an honorary FINAL 5 member I need one as soon as possible, LMAO

Greetings, I've been posting several things through last season trying to coax you out of Hibernation. So I as pleasantly surprised when i saw your comment. Your Ora to me is like National Goundhog Holiday if it is cloudy when the groundhog emerges from its burrow on this day, then the winter will arrive early. If it is sunny, the groundhog will supposedly see its shadow and retreat back into its den lol. You Missing in Action last season was foreboding and a Harbinger; and we saw what happened as several of our beloved HBCU dance team took a hit.

You Rearing your Head could be seen as a good sign for this upcoming season. As it relates to mahogany I'll try and lay things out in days to come but you and I many not see eye to eye on this one. We can agree to disagree.

Peachyp said:

Persistance can pay off but after viewing the footage I see no improvement in Breylynn. Was she chosen out of sympathy? I'm happy for her but I don't see where she will fit in with the other trained ladies.

I obviously can't fully judge the '17 auditions yet without having seen the complete footage. I hate that i wasn't able to make it to campus yesterday, but I'm currently rehabbing a leg/knee injury, and making my way into Forbes would've been way too much on crutches.

Your argument sounds a little contradictory.... you start with questioning my perception and analysis of her technical deficiencies, but then go on to explain 1) how strong the candidate field was, 2) the fact that callbacks may have worked to her detriment, and also 3) that her banner girl experience, winning the "fan favorite" vote, and her preexisting relationship with the HOF org (so, basically "politics") could all be what helped her secure a spot on this team. So essentially, everything BUT her displayed ability yesterday afternoon landed her a spot on this team.... in YOUR words, not mine.

And the Denajah comparison comes from the fact that she was CLEARLY and INDISPUTABLY undertrained and unprepared for the level of technique that Sting presented in all of their field shows this past season. That was painfully obvious in every single show that she danced in. And I have a strong feeling that this will also be the case with Brelynn. Many could (and have) also argue that politics (her relationship and training with Lachanee and B.O.C. during the year leading up to auditions) and her "raw" ability/potential (as demonstrated through her solid performance in the stands) are what contributed to Bridgette choosing her for the squad.... sound familiar???

I understand that you may feel closely attached to Brelynn and personally invested in her "rags to riches" success story as it pertains to her MnM/HOF journey, and my track record as a poster here over the years proves that I'm DEFINITELY not in the business of tearing down a fellow dancer unnecessarily.... particularly a beautiful young black woman who has been relentless in pursuit of her dreams and who happens to be not only my Spelman sister, but now also a fellow member of the HOF organization. HOWEVER.... sometimes we have to remove the rose-colored glasses and examine things from an impartial and unbiased standpoint. The fact that I'm not the only one who's saying these things (and the fact that she has CONTINUALLY received these same critiques year after year) all point to the fact that if it looks, sounds, and acts like a duck, then..... just maybe......

Ray Dex - (RIP Uncle Yusef) said:

We must not be looking at the same factors, how can my perception be so different that yours? Out of the last 6 mcdt auditions the 2017 audition is arguably top 2 IMO; 4 of the last 6 I have footage for. At this audition the Judges had callbacks; An indication in itself that the judges were having some deliberation as it relates to the final team. To me the footwork in this routine had to be so precise and Bandheads will see several examples of that. Brelynn was one of the young ladies that got called back but unfortunately that did not work in her favor in fact it worked against her; However, the Fan Favorite portion and her previous experience as a Banner Girl may have give her a slight edge. Just keeping it 100.

As far as the Denajah comparison I don't see that either. Brelynn tried out for GD in 14 after attending several GD clinics. She then went on to try out for Mahogany in 14, 15, 16, and made mcdt in 2017. This is after having one of the most high profile Banner Girl Chronicles in the History of HBCU in this Information Age and Social Media Takeover. How does this even remotely compare to Denajah calm to fame, not taking anything away from her. Now who's did you say was Reaching? lol

My comment were a reaction to you starting off one of your comments with "that audition wasn't Mahogany caliber." and another comment with "I obviously can't fully judge the '17 auditions yet without having seen the complete footage." which is where the real contradiction began. I was just responded to both of your contradictory statements which Prolly made my response a little contradictory if that makes any sense.

This were some of best candidates I seen at a MnM audition and the difficulty in the tryout routine reflected that. This routine was more difficult that the past to tryout rea

K.K. said:

I obviously can't fully judge the '17 auditions yet without having seen the complete footage. I hate that i wasn't able to make it to campus yesterday, but I'm currently rehabbing a leg/knee injury, and making my way into Forbes would've been way too much on crutches.

Your argument sounds a little contradictory.... you start with questioning my perception and analysis of her technical deficiencies, but then go on to explain 1) how strong the candidate field was, 2) the fact that callbacks may have worked to her detriment, and also 3) that her banner girl experience, winning the "fan favorite" vote, and her preexisting relationship with the HOF org (so, basically "politics") could all be what helped her secure a spot on this team. So essentially, everything BUT her displayed ability yesterday afternoon landed her a spot on this team.... in YOUR words, not mine.

And the Denajah comparison comes from the fact that she was CLEARLY and INDISPUTABLY undertrained and unprepared for the level of technique that Sting presented in all of their field shows this past season. That was painfully obvious in every single show that she danced in. And I have a strong feeling that this will also be the case with Brelynn. Many could (and have) also argue that politics (her relationship and training with Lachanee and B.O.C. during the year leading up to auditions) and her "raw" ability/potential (as demonstrated through her solid performance in the stands) are what contributed to Bridgette choosing her for the squad.... sound familiar???

I understand that you may feel closely attached to Brelynn and personally invested in her "rags to riches" success story as it pertains to her MnM/HOF journey, and my track record as a poster here over the years proves that I'm DEFINITELY not in the business of tearing down a fellow dancer unnecessarily.... particularly a beautiful young black woman who has been relentless in pursuit of her dreams and who happens to be not only my Spelman sister, but now also a fellow member of the HOF organization. HOWEVER.... sometimes we have to remove the rose-colored glasses and examine things from an impartial and unbiased standpoint. The fact that I'm not the only one who's saying these things (and the fact that she has CONTINUALLY received these same critiques year after year) all point to the fact that if it looks, sounds, and acts like a duck, then..... just maybe......

We are calling them J-Lo

Both the Captain, Jazmine and Cocaptain, Lauryn are from the Metro Atlanta area. I trying to come up with a name for this dynamic duo. Any suggestions?

Me saying "that audition wasn't Mahogany caliber" was in reference to Brelynn's audition, which you provided footage of. I wasn't referencing the actual tryout routine or this year's auditions as a whole. While they have become slightly predictable, which is to be expected when you're trying to get candidates to consistently exhibit very specific elements each year, Mahogany tryout routines (with maaaaaaaybe ONE exception since 2006) have never disappointed.

My comment were a reaction to you starting off one of your comments with "that audition wasn't Mahogany caliber." and another comment with "I obviously can't fully judge the '17 auditions yet without having seen the complete footage." which is where the real contradiction began. I was just responded to both of your contradictory statements which Prolly made my response a little contradictory if that makes any sense.

This were some of best candidates I seen at a MnM audition and the difficulty in the tryout routine reflected that. This routine was more difficult that the past to tryout rea

Ok got you. As you are aware Mahogany tryout porcess is not easy and to do it four times in a row, you've got to give her some credit. No one is the history of Mahognay tryouts have made it to finals 4 times. Coach Rae is in the forum Live ready to address any concerns.

K.K. said:

Me saying "that audition wasn't Mahogany caliber" was in reference to Brelynn's audition, which you provided footage of. I wasn't referencing the actual tryout routine or this year's auditions as a whole. Mahogany tryout routines (with maaaaaaaybe ONE exception since 2006) never disappoint.

Can you speak more to you experience as a "Leggy Dancer" Brelynn may be able to use some of you advice. It's sort of a good problem to have for a dancer.

CurlyActress said:

I'm wondering what MCDT was thinking when selecting Brelynn, because IMO she has not improved nearly enough to match the caliber of their team from what I've seen of them. I hope they require her to take class regularly. As a tall, leggy dancer myself, we have to work harder to get our legs under control and to look refined. She needs to find her lines and her core. Unfortunately, taller dancers also have to drop lower than shorter ones because we look like we're not trying or lazy when we don't. She did have energy, though.

I like the sound of that.

Rae Yvonne said:

We are calling them J-Lo

Both the Captain, Jazmine and Cocaptain, Lauryn are from the Metro Atlanta area. I trying to come up with a name for this dynamic duo. Any suggestions?

MnM demonstrate the tryout routine. What in the world happened to Morgan T.? Do I need to call Coach Rae to request her going back on line. She should have had those double pirouettes down pac by now and there is no reason for her to still be falling out of turns. I'm a little disappointed because I couldn't focus on anyone else.

This is one of the reasons why Bandheads frown on Banner Girls making dance teams. Morgan T. underwhelming performance as a Neophyte at the 2017 Audition will not bode well for Brelynn as she tries to prove herself in 2017. Bandheads know how much I've routed for Morgan T. before and after she made the team and we have seen improvements. Her performance at the 2017 Audion has the potential to erase/undermine the gains she made during the 16-17 season. This may sound a little tough but it's not all about making the team and then coasting. This is also why most HBCU Dance Teams make their vets tryout again because they get lazy.

The Captain Jazmine and Her moms at the 2017 Auditions.

Photo Credits go to Elizabeth

mcdt coming out performance

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service