Are body cuts outdated

There is a serious topic we need to discuss about body cuts. In my opinion I think that it's outdated and stupid at this point. I know that y'all want the dancers to look slim and nice and things of that nature but that's basically discrimination. I'm not saying that they should have girls the honey bees size on the team but just because they have rollls doesn't mean they can't dance. Another thing is that body cuts doesn't even give the girls who don't make it a chance to show off their dancing ability because they aren't the ideal image the team wants. Look at MAAB for example it's a couple of thicker girls on there and they beast the fuck out especially the short one who led a couple of times. I just think it's time for a change and that they should eliminate body cuts. Also another thing body cuts aren't even about the body in some cases they cut a girl because she has braces or her teeth are too crooked or her boobs are too big and its time they eliminate that. But what are y'all thoughts

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Body cuts serve a purpose, you want young ladies to look good in a uniform. Dance uniforms fit tight, someone who isn't in shape doesn't look good in a uniform. The only rolls I want to see are on a dinner plate and not on a young lady's body!

• But girls like Dejai on MAAB and Shannon on Jsettes, Dejai should have made it through body cuts if Shannon made it through. They are the same size
  • And also, just with anything else athletic, a fit body shows just how dedicated and into her craft she is. Just like band camps weed up the weak, who just wants to fit in vs. the diehard dedicated. Same way with bodies for dance teams. It sets apart the ones who just want to be there vs. the ones who really want it. 

Also, for obvious reason, the more fit a womans body is, the easier it is to me and the more stamina she has. 

• And yes the Thick girls can dance on MAAB but they look a fool in them uniforms lol
  • I think they should keep body cuts as well, or at least order uniforms that are flattering on everyone's body.

• Amen!

• The deja situation shows the other side of body cuts like Shannon is super skinny but they passed her through but deja was cut for idk why and also the uniforms them looking a fool in you're gonna get that regardless for example cam doesn't look flattering in a lot of uniforms but that's the sponsors fault also Dejai is thick as well and some uniforms fit her snug as well
  • My thing is if they can fit a tryout uniform then they pass body cuts cuz it goes up to a large I think cuz if girls like tee and Dejai
  • Body cuts are very much still relevant and needed.

Dancelines are built around an aesthetic. The goal is to field a squad that embodies a desirable image to the masses. That image just so happens to be a fit, athletic body type.

As a former coordinator, I can openly admit that I've passed on girls who were "talented enough" but didn't quite fit the bill image-wise for whatever reason.... be it size/weight, teeth/smile, hair, etc. And honestly it's a lot easier to make those decisions when you're choosing from a talent pool where the greater majority possesses all of those desired qualities; you don't feel like you're making a hard decision, you feel like you're making a smarter decision. Those kinds of things matter in the grand scheme. I can rattle off story after story to illustrate my point here, but just know that A LOT of times girls don't make squads for reasons that go far beyond their level of talent/dance ability.

• Very well put K.K. I agree 100%. I think there is a fine line between "discrimination" and "standards." If you apply for a job that requires a masters degree or special certification, and you don't have those things, you don't get hired. It's not discriminating if you've made those expectations clear and can back that up. I agree it is a touchy subject. 

K.K. said:

Body cuts are very much still relevant and needed.

Dancelines are built around an aesthetic. The goal is to field a squad that embodies a desirable image to the masses. That image just so happens to be a fit, athletic body type.

As a former coordinator, I can openly admit that I've passed on girls who were "talented enough" but didn't quite fit the bill image-wise for whatever reason.... be it size/weight, teeth/smile, hair, etc. And honestly it's a lot easier to make those decisions when you're choosing from a talent pool where the greater majority possesses all of those desired qualities; you don't feel like you're making a hard decision, you feel like you're making a smarter decision. Those kinds of things matter in the grand scheme. I can rattle off story after story to illustrate my point here, but just know that A LOT of times girls don't make squads for reasons that go far beyond their level of talent/dance ability.

Are body cuts outdated
    There is a serious topic we need to discuss about body cuts. In my opinion I think that it's outdated and stupid at this point. I know that y'all wan…
This reply was deleted.