Replies

• the boom

• the human jukebox

• i would say the more suitable question would be how did the band earn their names? or where did the names come from?

• A little history, Speaking with the great Benjamin Butler,

He came to Texas Southern to start a new direction of the band here coming from Tennessee State.

He was asked to come up with a name and at the time there was a radio station that had a show called (I believe mountain or something) of Soul. He simple like the way Ocean sounded and the proximity to one so he used that and said we will be the Ocean of Soul. Of course, he tells the story so much better. and has a lot more tidbits thrown in.

• Yeah the radio hos name was Skipper Lee  Frasier he'd use "Moutain of Soul" as part of his daily dialogue kinda like a coined phrase in regard to the music and its atmosphere.  Some credit him for naming the Ocean as well. no doubt his show was an influence, but for the most part, Ben Butler came up with the name and Image that defines the Ocean today 

To My Knowledge he's also the reason the term "Crab" is used to define a First year bandsmen... In to Butler, ANYONE in the band not performing up to par was called a Crab..  Eventually upperclassmen started using it  as a term to identify freshmen..that term spread all over the sound and   the rest is history..  

Ocean = Plethora   therefore .. #Whoosh LOL

AG said:

A little history, Speaking with the great Benjamin Butler,

He came to Texas Southern to start a new direction of the band here coming from Tennessee State.

He was asked to come up with a name and at the time there was a radio station that had a show called (I believe mountain or something) of Soul. He simple like the way Ocean sounded and the proximity to one so he used that and said we will be the Ocean of Soul. Of course, he tells the story so much better. and has a lot more tidbits thrown in.

Band Nicknames
    Which band(s) do you think deserve their nickname?
  • Southern University definitely deserve their nickname which is aka ,"The Human Jukebox." A bad name for a bad band.
  • Well jukeboxes play various songs and music ( almost every band in the world) bad band has nothing to do with it at the time that was extra creative!! alot of bands have been juke boxes but it fits SU. I hope the new director at aamu bring back the show band of the south to their field shows. alcorn is returning back to SOD. Hope the ocean bounce back and lord please bring back the storm not hating but its just be rain then back to drizzling...im sure pvu will return.
  • I don't necessarily like the band, but Alabama State's "The Miracle Band" tag is groovy as fuck! 

• "Sonic Boom of the South" Go Sonic Sonic Sonic BOOM!!!

• AAMU - "Show-band of the South" Marching Maroon & White, I would like to personally add the "Tribute band"

This reply was deleted.