Congrats GSU on 475 Band Camp Members.

Written byStaff ReportsIn 1960, legendary Grambling State band director Dr. Conrad Hutchinson formed aband camp for high school and junior high school students.Fifty-four years later, the tradition continues.Under the direction of Dr. Larry Pannell and his staff, future musicians and possiblyfuture Gramblinites are trained to improve their musicianship.This year, the camp has 475 students who traveled from Minnesota, Missouri,Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana to take part inmarching and educational sessions.“I am happy to have the camp back into existence and we are looking forward togetting back up to 800 students or more per camp year," Pannell said. "The camphas come a long way from the old Dunbar Hall to the state-of-the-art ConradHutchinson Performing Arts building."We are able to teach our style of music so that the kids can go back home andshare what they learned at camp, the Grambling way.”The students experience college life and have access to a state-of-the-art facility.Trae Smith, a 13-year old camper from Tulsa, Oklahoma, who plays saxophone said,“They teach me a better way to play the saxophone. ... I enjoy being here. This is myfirst time and I will be back next year.”Before the campers leave next Saturday, they will be show off their skills in a talentshow scheduled for Thursday. The closing program will be an opportunity for folkson campus to come by the block party and listen to the campers show off theirnewly developed skills. http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20140711/NEWS0402/307120003/Grambling-State-band-camp-continues?nclick_check=1

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Glad they had a great turn out!!!!
  • SU HAD 440 THAT MAKES GSU AN SU WITH THE LARGEST HBCU SUMMER CAMPS
This reply was deleted.