Well future crabs it's about that time for Pre-Drill Camp to start.. Few tips on how to make it through without looking to much like an @ss..1. Make sure you have all the things you will need such as an ample supply of White T's, Gym shorts, Mouthpieces, Straps, Drum Mallets etc.. Double check before you leave for school, cause if you leave something essential, that's grounds for sect leaders to go slap left...2. Be on time (30 minutes before call time)... Being late isn't an option anywhere... Its for your benefit to be on time/ early...3. Crabs are seen, not heard... In other words you speak when you are spoken to... Other than that, play the quiet game at all times... Again for your benefit..4. Pay attention at allllllll times! You are new to what ever program you are going to... And it is imperative that you stay on your P's and Q's or you will be left behind and prob end up on the sideline, or on the EQ staff...5. The NO B#tch@ssness rule is in effect at all times.. Meaning talking back (b#tch@ssness), cursing like a sailor around the band (b#tch@ssness crabs dont curse) whining for whatever reason (b#tch@ssness), kissing old heads ass (b#tch@ssness)... Callin mama cryin cause someone told you to push up Texas, or someone told you to shut up, or lock up, or stand up straight, or march, or play the Bb scale... Just don't call mama unless you need some change, or to let her know you still alive... Don't call 222 Tips neither... All of that goes under the no B#tch@ssness rule... Trust me it's for your benefit, so man up/woman up... Any Breaking of the no B#tch@ssness rules will result in yo b#tch@ss being b#tched (prob shouldn't have said that)...6. Practice your horn.. For my brass do lots of lips slurs, long tones... Hopefully your sectionleaders give you a warm down after practice..7. After practice dont lollygag/hang around the band hall tryna be cool.. Your not cool your a Crab.. No such thing as a cool Crab.. And Men when walking back to the Dorms NEVER leave your CS's behind... It's some sick folks on these campuses... Protect your CS's fellas...8. Get to know your Crab bros and Sisters... The friends you make in your crab class will prob be your friends for the prior to you graduating college...9. Last but not least... Enjoy this experience... My Crab year was my best year... Although it was hell... It was one of my best learning experiences.. PlusYou Goin to see some fuuuuuunnnny sh@t... So if you get chewed out... Remember, you are a crab, your suppose to get chewed out... That way what ever dumb sh@t you did you won't do it anymore... Don't take nothing personal... No one cares about your feelings.. We care about results, and seeing you improve (best way to get on your section leaders good side is to show improvement)... I promise you, if you go by these rules.. You will make it... Oh and no sodas WATER!!! no dairy products in the morn (you have to go out in the sun, milk starts baking in your stomach and yea you'll prob puke)... So congrats on Scholarships, admissions, and all that good stuff... You made it to the door... Now what you gone do? Don't quit.. If you do that..... You might as well transfer... Cause You'll be tormented every time you see a band member... So God Speed!P.S when school starts GO TO CLASS!

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 8 post grad..
  • 10. Make sure your affairs (financial aid, housing, etc.) are in order.
    • indeed.. Hate to have to Stand in a long @ss line just to sign a list to be seen for FASFA... That isht is Stressful!!
  • 11. Pass your classes with A's or B's. Start off high just in case the road gets rough (and it will). If you start off bad, you probably will end bad (if you make it that far).
  • 12. if you go to your class and you see that theres not another Marching Hornet or your respective Band member in the class DROP IT.
  • Sunday evening........Recital hall, Crabs on One Side, Upperclassmen on the Other. KKY starts Stepping. " Cant get enuff of that Psi Stuff". Prof comes out and introduces himself and staff and says these words witha sneaky smirk on his face. " Freshmen until Thanksgiving Day, You are CrabsTrying to make it to the Shore of Mighty Marching Hornet Land. You don't count, you dont have a voice or and opinion Whyu ask? then all the upperclassmen said because you are crabs. When you're WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG & When YOU'Re RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG. Then Prof goes on to say Its gonna be the hardest 3 months of your life. You are gonna have to STAND TALL , (all the upperclassmen said) LIKE A TEXAS TEE !! Freshmen if you go into a class and don't see any off you fellow bandmates(all the upperclassmen said) DROP IT !! Prof says it's better to CHEAT than to REPEAT. Finally he says with an EEEVVVVIL Grin. Freshmen DO NOT LEAVE THE CAMPUS WITH ANY UPPERCLASSMEN, I REPEAT DO NOT BUT IF YOU DO, I HOPE THEY BEAT THE HOLY CRAP OUTTA YOU !!! Then it was on to the 4th floor where we personally me Esais "EZ" Merritt, Demond Travis, and the most feared dude ever Jeremiah "SHAKA" Blackmon. That was one LOOOOOONG ARSE DAY !!

a story from one of my old school bruhs. I think this is still relevant today.
  • 13. Time Management... This alone DESTROYS freshman... In our band(PV) you must maintain a 2.0 to stay in the band, and a 2.5 to keep your scholarships.. It's not hard, it just requires you to GROW UP... You must realize that you Mom/Dad will not be there to wake you for your 8 o'clock after a long night of god knows what (hopefully studying)...

14. Just to touch back on Not talking back.... Maaaaan that's one way to make your whole crab year hell... Respect the fact that the Neo's and the Old heads have been where you are... Everything is a test...

15. If you are asked to come up with a crab skit... Do it... Make the old heads laugh.. It may keep them off your case....

When I think of some more I'll post...
    • Just to touch up...

14: go humble dont think just cause you can play or even scream that you the S##t cause you will lose that attitude...cause tellin an ol head your better or that you can take or will be in they spot and you not even through crab camp...smh just dont do it

15: give crab skits your all, not only will it make the ol heads laugh it will gain you SOME respect, and plus it will prob be the only time you get to move or might even be something you always wanted to do....

• This is great! Can you email this to me?
This reply was deleted.