Critique: SWAC Edition

2016 - 2017 season has gone and passed.

It's approaching the summertime and I am very sure we have reviewed some of this past season. With that said let's talk about EVERYTHING and any type of critique on our SWAC Bands this could be anything Band, Arrangements, Auxiliaries, stands, halftime performances anything you can think of (Open Dialog).

Hopefully those who are viewing can give constructive criticism for those with the power that be can take notes on what others are saying.

AAMU Marching Maroon and White "Show Band of the South"

ASU Mighty Marching Hornets

Alcorn "Sound of Dynomite"

JSU "Sonic Boom of the South"

SU "Human Jukebox"

UAPB "M4"

MVSU "MGMM"

Grambling State "World Fame"

PVAMU "Marching Storm"

TXSU "Ocean of Soul"

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• AAMU Marching Maroon and White "Show Band of the South": Very clean band but bland. All songs sound the same and I never know what they are playing. LOL. If you are going to keep the same arrangers, please change the book. They are more of a showcase band, but their sound can travel to multiple arenas, whether HBCU or not.

ASU Mighty Marching Hornets: They sound like a trash can, but I don't think it's their arrangements (not a shot). They need new horns. I believe once they get new instruments, we'll all see what they are really about. I will say that they have attempted to clean up the sound over the past few years and they are entertaining in the stands. Also, the only thing good about their field shows are the Stingettes. The band has to work on formations. They don't have to do a great drill, but at least have straight lines and march with purpose.

Alcorn "Sound of Dynomite": I'm not a fan of their current field shows. I think for a season, they should go back to the 80's and 90's drills and clean up their lines. They are a beast in the stands, but I would like for them to be more consistent with arrangements and repertoire. Personally, I only liked about 4-5 songs from them this past season. They would not be able to survive the SWAC if they were a smaller band.

JSU "Sonic Boom of the South": Great band; Good rebound from 2015. One of the most entertaining bands in all of HBCUs. The only issue is more trumpets. They get it.

SU "Human Jukebox": Great arrangements and sound. They need to work on their field shows. In 2014, they were more creative, but I know that it's hard to constantly think of new ways to impress. They still have straight lines and can wow on the field, but I've seen that over the past two years, they have 1 great show for the Boombox and the rest are just there.

UAPB "M4": They need to continue the course of quality. I know that it's tempting to follow the crowd, but just refine your sound. If possible, get a new arranger for the uptempo sounds. Someone that has been through UAPB that knows your sound, but someone new/younger that has an ear to the youth.

MVSU "MGMM": Focus on being the best band that you can be with the numbers that you have. We all know that you are small, but at least be entertaining. I saw a 5th this past season and I was bored with the song selection. If you build it, they will come. Get an arranger or someone that can at least keep you entertained in the stands. Once that happen, you may see an increase in members, maybe not, but just focus on what you have. I haven't watched a field show.

Grambling State "World Fame": Continue to do what you do on the field. We are used to seeing Grambling perform, but the rest of the world is impressed every time yall get on the field. Yall represent HBCUs well whenever yall perform out West or wherever. If yall are going to keep the same type of book and arrangements, please clean up the sound.

PVAMU "Marching Storm": I'm not a true fan of PV, but I like their creativity on the field and it's different from what we see from the rest of the SWAC. I wish they had a better book in the stands. Not a fan of the song choices, but their quality in the stands from the tone to the discipline makes them a threat. Not my preference though.

TXSU "Ocean of Soul": Idk what to say about their field shows. Maybe they can go back to the early '00s or '80s to see what was entertaining about the band. They were never just a drilling band. They just have to think of ways to keep people entertained. In the stands, great book. Their arrangements and execution on the rap/pop songs are great. The arrangements/execution on more difficult songs, ballads or slower tempo songs, not so good. If you are going to stay with the arrangements, just stay in pocket. A good pocket TxSU band was 2010. The JSU and Alcorn games were powerful and clean. May not have been the loudest, but had good quality. Imagine if those bands had your instruments now.

• Great points. I would like to hear from more.

hrocket said:

AAMU Marching Maroon and White "Show Band of the South": Very clean band but bland. All songs sound the same and I never know what they are playing. LOL. If you are going to keep the same arrangers, please change the book. They are more of a showcase band, but their sound can travel to multiple arenas, whether HBCU or not.

ASU Mighty Marching Hornets: They sound like a trash can, but I don't think it's their arrangements (not a shot). They need new horns. I believe once they get new instruments, we'll all see what they are really about. I will say that they have attempted to clean up the sound over the past few years and they are entertaining in the stands. Also, the only thing good about their field shows are the Stingettes. The band has to work on formations. They don't have to do a great drill, but at least have straight lines and march with purpose.

Alcorn "Sound of Dynomite": I'm not a fan of their current field shows. I think for a season, they should go back to the 80's and 90's drills and clean up their lines. They are a beast in the stands, but I would like for them to be more consistent with arrangements and repertoire. Personally, I only liked about 4-5 songs from them this past season. They would not be able to survive the SWAC if they were a smaller band.

JSU "Sonic Boom of the South": Great band; Good rebound from 2015. One of the most entertaining bands in all of HBCUs. The only issue is more trumpets. They get it.

SU "Human Jukebox": Great arrangements and sound. They need to work on their field shows. In 2014, they were more creative, but I know that it's hard to constantly think of new ways to impress. They still have straight lines and can wow on the field, but I've seen that over the past two years, they have 1 great show for the Boombox and the rest are just there.

UAPB "M4": They need to continue the course of quality. I know that it's tempting to follow the crowd, but just refine your sound. If possible, get a new arranger for the uptempo sounds. Someone that has been through UAPB that knows your sound, but someone new/younger that has an ear to the youth.

MVSU "MGMM": Focus on being the best band that you can be with the numbers that you have. We all know that you are small, but at least be entertaining. I saw a 5th this past season and I was bored with the song selection. If you build it, they will come. Get an arranger or someone that can at least keep you entertained in the stands. Once that happen, you may see an increase in members, maybe not, but just focus on what you have. I haven't watched a field show.

Grambling State "World Fame": Continue to do what you do on the field. We are used to seeing Grambling perform, but the rest of the world is impressed every time yall get on the field. Yall represent HBCUs well whenever yall perform out West or wherever. If yall are going to keep the same type of book and arrangements, please clean up the sound.

PVAMU "Marching Storm": I'm not a true fan of PV, but I like their creativity on the field and it's different from what we see from the rest of the SWAC. I wish they had a better book in the stands. Not a fan of the song choices, but their quality in the stands from the tone to the discipline makes them a threat. Not my preference though.

TXSU "Ocean of Soul": Idk what to say about their field shows. Maybe they can go back to the early '00s or '80s to see what was entertaining about the band. They were never just a drilling band. They just have to think of ways to keep people entertained. In the stands, great book. Their arrangements and execution on the rap/pop songs are great. The arrangements/execution on more difficult songs, ballads or slower tempo songs, not so good. If you are going to stay with the arrangements, just stay in pocket. A good pocket TxSU band was 2010. The JSU and Alcorn games were powerful and clean. May not have been the loudest, but had good quality. Imagine if those bands had your instruments now.

2016 - 2017 season has gone and passed. It's approaching the summertime and I am very sure we have reviewed some of this past season. With that said…
  • I can actually agree with you on every statement, your analysis is on point on everyone. But this is what i see below:

Aamu: I know the cleanliness and balance will be there and there sound field performances will go anywhere but I still need them to have that one or two songs that they unleash hell on because for them to have had around 30 trumpets last year they were sending some power through that section. I really want to see aamu still with a nice number trumpet, tbone and tuba section and they can compete with ANY band in the swac. One big positive that I can say with aamu is that whatever performance it is halftime will always be well received. Divas y'all are looking great we just need to clean up the outfits, also keep that "Atlanta/mobile style" going it's working for the group's technicality !!if I could gift wrap you guys anything it would be 40 trumpets and 30 trombones. Shout out to the tuba section that always holds it down no matter what!!!

Bama state: I actually think the issue is instrumentation and musicianship, the biggest positive from bama state is the st ingettes but if I'm the BD is go to all brass sections and instruments.

Alcorn: alcorn reminds me of that one quarterback in the NFL that's really awesome when he needs to be and average all the other time. They have alot of upside they just gotta realise it and showcase it. Golden girls I need to see just a little more cleanliness and a little less cooch poppin.

Jsu: year in year out solid band that is definitely tier 1 for me, my only knock is I need a stronger trumpet section. The lower brass over powers you guys. Jsettes always look good, and love the technique. I also want to see better field show selections not concepts.

Su: great band definitely tier 1, probably the most consistent stand, battle, marcj and ballad band we have. However for me the field shows are just ok I feel like the concepts are the problem not selection.

Uapb: very clean and polished band, no excitement however you guys bring a deep book, needs more exposure from you all.

Mvsu: the one band idk about but what I would say is maybe leadership could be an issue idk. The one band you don't hear from.

Gsu: reminds me alot of aamu but with a little less growing room. One if the cleanest bands we have and while you guys contrast from in state rival southern in style I must say for me gramblong puts on a way better field show. Keep the consistent sound up.

Pvamu: like alcorn for me another sneaky band that I see that has potential, however unlike alcorn I'm curious to see if they can keep the trend going up. Butthis band has a nice program in place, I still think they are growing into themselves.

Txsu: one of my favorite silver brass bands that can arrange stand wise now, field wise needs some improvement along with exposure as well. I wish more of our texas schools traveled. But this band if you guys get numbers back like 06 watch the hell out....

hrocket said:

AAMU Marching Maroon and White "Show Band of the South": Very clean band but bland. All songs sound the same and I never know what they are playing. LOL. If you are going to keep the same arrangers, please change the book. They are more of a showcase band, but their sound can travel to multiple arenas, whether HBCU or not.

2016 - 2017 season has gone and passed. It's approaching the summertime and I am very sure we have reviewed some of this past season. With that said…
  • AAMU Marching Maroon and White "Show Band of the South"

- One of the Best Sounding HBCU in any conference. Their presence is defiantly known and precision. Their sound is amazing and can be heard across the field. The only thing lacking IMO is sometimes the aggression. I would like to see a little more force with the sound. Auxiliaries (Dancin' Divas and Fabulous Flags) They have really came into their own and is a force no matter who is in front of them. The crowd loves them. Overall this season A 

ASU Mighty Marching Hornets

- Need to work on intonation and pitch in the stands and on the field. Marching style can be sloppy at times. I was not impressed with any halftime performances this past season. Creativity is a hit and miss. Arrangements have improved, but still not at the level of other SWAC bands.  Grade C

Alcorn "Sound of Dynomite"

- They have become the new JSU and SU (hopefully no offense) Overblowing! However, that's what the crowd loves. The aggressiveness is what wakes the crowd up and it shows. Sometimes the melody of the songs are missed. Great marching style and auxiliary unit are still maintaining. Grade A-

JSU "Sonic Boom of the South"

- They have improved this year with a decent size band. Sometimes their arrangement are hit and misses mainly because they speed up the tempo of the original song. March style has improved at times. Their dancers need improvement. However, overall good season. A

SU "Human Jukebox"

- The band everyone loves, or loves to hate. I would put a little more work into the halftime. Nothing to critique, but raise the bar do something a little different and not the norm. Stand wise continue to be amazing just on certain songs need to hear the melody a little bit more. A+

UAPB "M4"

- So you guys need some work and energy drinks. I am not sure what's going on with in the program, but a few adjustments will have you guys back with the (Musical SWAC bands) Keep ya head up! C

MVSU "MGMM"

-  I haven't watched you guys much, however, the battle pre-season was pretty good. Just need to see a little bit more from you guys. Some of what I saw need improvements. anyway Grade C

Grambling State "World Fame"

- You guys are in your own World. lol who am I to knock. You entertain for your audience and don't conform to what others say. My only thing is field show wise lines need to be straighten and march style need to be cleaned. Stand wise Need to have a little more finesse. I'm not a big fan on some songs this past season. Grade B

PVAMU "Marching Storm"

- Haven't seen much of you guys this year. However, I was really impressed with what I saw. Just need a little more control on tempo and intonation. Sometimes its like you guys get too excited and lose yourself int he arrangements and it comes off as rushed. March style need a little improvements. I love you guys auxiliary unit. (Dancers and Flags). Overall A

TXSU "Ocean of Soul"

- Haven't seen much of you guys either. However, what I did see is I enjoyed some arrangements. I was impressed with the Honda BOTB show even with 5 dancers. You guys showed that it don't take a big band to get the job done. Overall A 

• What's the point of a forum if we can't express opinions?
  • Texas Southern:

My favorite band.  I want to see more diversity in the song selection (more classics) and a smoother/balanced sound again.  And the creativity at the Honda BOTB needs to be displayed throughout the whole season too.  The Motion of the Ocean is finaly on the right track again with a great captain and new director.

Jackson State:

I hate their "Get Ready" intro song and it's time to finally do something better.  But JSU will always be a solid band.  The Prancing Jsettes have subpar and bland uniforms and as a top tier HBCU dance squad they deserve better.

Southern: 

Perennial power of course.  More consistency in the creativity of field shows would be great ... some years are better than others.  Also I hate the drama with the Dancing Dolls with the cuts and Dani coming back as captain ... not fair.

Grambling: 

I would like more power from Grambling but that's not going to happen.  Grambling is more of a finesse type band.  Orchesis is pretty good.

Alcorn:

I want to see better arrangements and balance.  Also I want them to not remind me so much of Jackson State ... damn!  The GGs are aite, just they can come off too stripperish which I'm sure some men love but yeah it's just too much for me at times.

Bama State:

I really like their band.  The Stingettes are off the chain.  I think the ban can work on their musicality a bit more to balance out their power.

AAMU:

AAMU is a very technical band and I wish they balanced it with more power.  Also I wish they had better song selections.  Not a fan of the Dancin' Divas and feel like they need to revamp their whole program

PVAMU:

PVAMU is on the up. I'm not a fan yet but they do have some songs I really enjoy to hear the play.  The Black Foxes have improved a lot.  They need to add more songs to thei catalog ... I feel like they play the same songs way too much.

MVSU:

Didn't pay attention to them at all this past season.  Hopefully they catch my interest this fall.

UAPB:

Also didn't catch my interest at all.  Maybe this year they will make some noise and get people talking.

• Good critiques. Keep em' coming!

• right! lol

hrocket said:

What's the point of a forum if we can't express opinions?
  • One thing I feel goes unnoticed with Ocean is the lack of fan interaction. 

Neck used to have the stands jumping but now the crowd barely buy into it.

Bring back Purple Stuff, Mann, Forgot About Dre, the skits, Jacking the other bands songs and BLOWING it back at them, Got Money (2009 LDC Entrance and UAPB BOTB song), Medley and RAF from 2013 now that we have more band members, 2008 Honda Halftime( we see how the crowd reacted to the entrance)...i could go on and on!

Just bring back the Ocean attitude is all I ask during every game whether its PV, SU, or whomever!

*Arrangements are good but I be waiting on them to just go plain "ignant" on some songs! Like just be extra lol*

MOTION JUST NEED TO BE ON ONE PAGE...THE CAPTAIN IS THE BEST BUT THE SQUAD AS A WHOLE DO NOT BE ON THE SAME INTENSITY AND CLEANLINESS AS SHE DOES!

KapellMaster said:

Good critiques. Keep em' coming!

• The song jacking was cool. Bama State does it more often now, but none was more epic than Genesis 2006

darrell reed said:

One thing I feel goes unnoticed with Ocean is the lack of fan interaction. 

Neck used to have the stands jumping but now the crowd barely buy into it.

Bring back Purple Stuff, Mann, Forgot About Dre, the skits, Jacking the other bands songs and BLOWING it back at them, Got Money (2009 LDC Entrance and UAPB BOTB song), Medley and RAF from 2013 now that we have more band members, 2008 Honda Halftime( we see how the crowd reacted to the entrance)...i could go on and on!

Just bring back the Ocean attitude is all I ask during every game whether its PV, SU, or whomever!

*Arrangements are good but I be waiting on them to just go plain "ignant" on some songs! Like just be extra lol*

MOTION JUST NEED TO BE ON ONE PAGE...THE CAPTAIN IS THE BEST BUT THE SQUAD AS A WHOLE DO NOT BE ON THE SAME INTENSITY AND CLEANLINESS AS SHE DOES!

KapellMaster said:

Good critiques. Keep em' coming!

This reply was deleted.