Okay you guys! What do you all want to see at the Rose Parade???

Views: 19340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Dolls have been surpassed in every category by the top HBCU teams. What's the Dolls niche? They have rabid fans, that's their niche, they don't look better or do anything better than the top HBCU dance teams. Once again, the Dolls are not the top HBCU dance team.

Sugamama said:

@peachyp-No problem at all. We are here for passionate, contentious discussion.  

Although you make valid points, I still respectfully disagree because the point reminds me of when people would have conversations about black lives matter but people want to mention that all lives matter.  Have other teams been featured in various projects?  Sure.  Were those projects good for the brand overall? Yes.  However, was the caliber of work this season on the same level with the Dolls? No.  No doubt it was a good look for Ciara to work with the Jsettes.  However, is Ciara as current and popular as Lizzo? No.  Sure, Alabama State marched in the Tournament of Roses parade last year.  However they did not have the same coverage as the Juke, especially since that Lizzo video has been seen over 3 million times in 24 hours of its release, giving the Dolls way more exposure leading up to the parade.  I support HBCUs as well.  I think the Black Foxes are the most underrated team in the SWAC.  However, when comparing the caliber of work the Dolls booked this season alone, they are head and shoulders above other dance lines.  It speaks to the  consistent and palatable branding of the squad.  Honestly I think because the Dolls have been so consistent and palatable that folks LOVE to talk about the “boringness”.  The “boringness” conversation it a way to “stick it” to the Dolls, so to speak.  Just like in real life, people don’t like an individual that is too beautiful, confident, etc. if there is a “flaw” folks will make sure that flaw is mentioned so that the person is pedestal isn’t too high above everyone else.   It grinds peoples gears when the Dolls are called elite, but that branding and caliber of opportunities afforded as a result doesn’t lie. 

Truth_Serum said:

My original statement was in response to a poster complaining about the style.   I still stand by my statement!  Why would they change it when they have consistently booked gigs.  I clearly said booked this year.   You turned this into something completely different ..   I wish you would keep that same energy in defending the Dolls. Lol

Tiger Trail said:

I applaud your response,Peachyp! Alabama State marched in the Rose Parade last year!

Peachyp said:

I support ALL Hbcu’s. I will sincerely apologize for lashing out but its a slap in the face to other hbcus that are also in the limelight. 

The black foxes did amazing at the macy’s day parade no mention, ebony fire were in a magazine spread and in the news no mention, by the way ebony fire will literally be in Rome, Italy and Hbotb in the same month no mention. Jsettes have consistently been in commercials, campaigns, and viral no mention. Stingettes consistently go viral no mention. 14k are on Netflix no mention. Dolls have moments go stagnant then wake up again you ignore other teams as if they only did ONE THING. Whether you like it or not there are teams out there that may not be as popular as the dolls but are just as if not more successful.

Sugamama said:

I asked a question.  If you read that as downing them, then that’s on you.  I didn’t say it wasn’t a good thing.  I only saw it on Instagram and if the campaign was displayed elsewhere then I am open to that correction.  The Dolls don’t pay any bills. However they are my favorite team and if you go back and read this all stemmed from a font yet again calling them boring.  It is funny when fonts accuse folks of ass kissing and downing other teams when true Doll fans defend the style and how it is embraced by offering exhibits, especially compared to other teams. Fonts can’t consistently call the Dolls boring, dry, etc. and not expect true fans to counter with receipts. No matter what, the Dolls are elite and their endorsements speak volumes. 

Peachyp said:

Guess its better to put down a team to uplift another. When the dolls do something its the best thing since sliced bread but when other teams are consistently being promoted throughout the years its just one promotion. Does the dolls pay bills? If so, I would like to sign up for the ass kissing list.    

Sugamama said:

Other than the MAC instagram campaign, what other features did they have this season?  The designer was LaLa Anthony’s brand. 

Peachyp said:

Ummm The Jsettes. What designer tho? 

Truth_Serum said:

Why should they evolve for you! In one season the Dolls booked a campaign with a designer/ brand, did a video with a major pop star, danced during the laker halftime show, and marched in the Rose parade.  Name a HBCU dance line and or PWI dance line that got more work this year?   Why on earth would they change because of a couple of disgruntled fans on bandhead is bored.  They are clearly doing something right.  Also, you can hear the cat calls, whistles, and cheers from the crowd as they marched.  I think they’re good, the “boring” formula you complain about is clearly working.  

Whatitdosu said:

I doubt either one of them would continue with the boringness that Dani tried to get rid of. The doll style by itself is boring af. Ya'll can sit here and make excuses for them all day if you want to. "Thats the style DEAL WITH IT!" "They dont do all that" "Its tradition!" "I love a classic doll" SAVE IT! Its 2020 and we the people IS BORED HUNNY! It's time to evolve and entertain! Being pretty isn't enough. The Stingettes ran the SWAC! Its not up for debate! But again, who am I? I dont have creative control. I'm just a fan with an opinion.....

Sugamama said:

I am interested in seeing who picks either Jada or Kaylon apart next season and calls them a disappointment if folks unrealistic expectations aren’t met.  It’s one thing to be honest about a performance or uniform, but it is another to operate in confirmation bias. 

In which category’s have the dolls been surpassed in? They definitely aren’t the top HBCU dance team this year but let’s not negate the fact that they are one of the top 5 HBCU dance teams.

Joe Moore said:

The Dolls have been surpassed in every category by the top HBCU teams. What's the Dolls niche? They have rabid fans, that's their niche, they don't look better or do anything better than the top HBCU dance teams. Once again, the Dolls are not the top HBCU dance team.

Sugamama said:

Although you make valid points, I still respectfully disagree because the point reminds me of when people would have conversations about black lives matter but people want to mention that all lives matter.  Have other teams been featured in various projects?  Sure.  Were those projects good for the brand overall? Yes.  However, was the caliber of work this season on the same level with the Dolls? No.  No doubt it was a good look for Ciara to work with the Jsettes.  However, is Ciara as current and popular as Lizzo? No.  Sure, Alabama State marched in the Tournament of Roses parade last year.  However they did not have the same coverage as the Juke, especially since that Lizzo video has been seen over 3 million times in 24 hours of its release, giving the Dolls way more exposure leading up to the parade.  I support HBCUs as well.  I think the Black Foxes are the most underrated team in the SWAC.  However, when comparing the caliber of work the Dolls booked this season alone, they are head and shoulders above other dance lines.  It speaks to the  consistent and palatable branding of the squad.  Honestly I think because the Dolls have been so consistent and palatable that folks LOVE to talk about the “boringness”.  The “boringness” conversation it a way to “stick it” to the Dolls, so to speak.  Just like in real life, people don’t like an individual that is too beautiful, confident, etc. if there is a “flaw” folks will make sure that flaw is mentioned so that the person is pedestal isn’t too high above everyone else.   It grinds peoples gears when the Dolls are called elite, but that branding and caliber of opportunities afforded as a result doesn’t lie. 

Truth_Serum said:

My original statement was in response to a poster complaining about the style.   I still stand by my statement!  Why would they change it when they have consistently booked gigs.  I clearly said booked this year.   You turned this into something completely different ..   I wish you would keep that same energy in defending the Dolls. Lol

Tiger Trail said:

I applaud your response,Peachyp! Alabama State marched in the Rose Parade last year!

Peachyp said:

I support ALL Hbcu’s. I will sincerely apologize for lashing out but its a slap in the face to other hbcus that are also in the limelight. 

The black foxes did amazing at the macy’s day parade no mention, ebony fire were in a magazine spread and in the news no mention, by the way ebony fire will literally be in Rome, Italy and Hbotb in the same month no mention. Jsettes have consistently been in commercials, campaigns, and viral no mention. Stingettes consistently go viral no mention. 14k are on Netflix no mention. Dolls have moments go stagnant then wake up again you ignore other teams as if they only did ONE THING. Whether you like it or not there are teams out there that may not be as popular as the dolls but are just as if not more successful.

Sugamama said:

I asked a question.  If you read that as downing them, then that’s on you.  I didn’t say it wasn’t a good thing.  I only saw it on Instagram and if the campaign was displayed elsewhere then I am open to that correction.  The Dolls don’t pay any bills. However they are my favorite team and if you go back and read this all stemmed from a font yet again calling them boring.  It is funny when fonts accuse folks of ass kissing and downing other teams when true Doll fans defend the style and how it is embraced by offering exhibits, especially compared to other teams. Fonts can’t consistently call the Dolls boring, dry, etc. and not expect true fans to counter with receipts. No matter what, the Dolls are elite and their endorsements speak volumes. 

Peachyp said:

Guess its better to put down a team to uplift another. When the dolls do something its the best thing since sliced bread but when other teams are consistently being promoted throughout the years its just one promotion. Does the dolls pay bills? If so, I would like to sign up for the ass kissing list.    

Sugamama said:

Other than the MAC instagram campaign, what other features did they have this season?  The designer was LaLa Anthony’s brand. 

Peachyp said:

Truth_Serum said:

Why should they evolve for you! In one season the Dolls booked a campaign with a designer/ brand, did a video with a major pop star, danced during the laker halftime show, and marched in the Rose parade.  Name a HBCU dance line and or PWI dance line that got more work this year?   Why on earth would they change because of a couple of disgruntled fans on bandhead is bored.  They are clearly doing something right.  Also, you can hear the cat calls, whistles, and cheers from the crowd as they marched.  I think they’re good, the “boring” formula you complain about is clearly working.  

Whatitdosu said:

I doubt either one of them would continue with the boringness that Dani tried to get rid of. The doll style by itself is boring af. Ya'll can sit here and make excuses for them all day if you want to. "Thats the style DEAL WITH IT!" "They dont do all that" "Its tradition!" "I love a classic doll" SAVE IT! Its 2020 and we the people IS BORED HUNNY! It's time to evolve and entertain! Being pretty isn't enough. The Stingettes ran the SWAC! Its not up for debate! But again, who am I? I dont have creative control. I'm just a fan with an opinion.....

Sugamama said:

I am interested in seeing who picks either Jada or Kaylon apart next season and calls them a disappointment if folks unrealistic expectations aren’t met.  It’s one thing to be honest about a performance or uniform, but it is another to operate in confirmation bias. 

This is an EXCELLENT example of what I meant when I said it grinds people’s gears when the Dolls are mentioned as being top tier.  Unlike @peachyp who named different examples to support her argument, you make a blanket statement.  My stance is based on the examples that I provided.  What examples that are NOT steeped in 100% personal opinion can you provide to support that the Dolls are NOT the top team?  Did the Dolls get out performed at times and had boring moments? Yes. However, those moments doesn’t affect the overall position of the Dolls.  

When you see a Doll perform you know what you will get.  To people that do not like the style, it is “boring”, which equates to them not being top tier.   But to the people that do like the style, it is beauty, class, elegance and detailed lines. We fans that come in these chats cannot be the only ones who who think this. If we were, the Dolls would not have been afforded the opportunities they have been.  The caliber of opportunities that the Dolls procure don’t come by luck.  A top team gets top billings.  It is similar to a model getting to walk a runway for Anne Taylor versus a model getting to walk a runway for Versace.  They are both opportunities, both good looks for the said person, but the Versace model is a top tier model and it evident by the caliber of work she procures.  That is why I made the Lizzo/Ciara parallel in my previous response.  It illustrates that exact sentiment. 

Regarding rabid fans, every team has them.  What makes us “rabid” is the level that one becomes triggered when the Dolls are defended by said fan. The rabid argument can be made for fans of any of the SWAC’s big three.  If my eloquent arguments make me rabid, the so be it.  

Joe Moore said:

Sugamama said:

Truth_Serum said:

Tiger Trail said:

Peachyp said:

Sugamama said:

Peachyp said:

Sugamama said:

Peachyp said:

Truth_Serum said:

Whatitdosu said:

Sugamama said:

If you have an issue with other teams not getting recognition you should take that grievance to the organization's leadership, media, sponsors, etc. You cant be upset that the jukebox knows and plays up on their marketing strategies 

I agree

SUAlum11 said:

If you have an issue with other teams not getting recognition you should take that grievance to the organization's leadership, media, sponsors, etc. You cant be upset that the jukebox knows and plays up on their marketing strategies 

Exactly. Be upset at the people in charge of the teams and the fans of that team. As fans y’all should try to get the word out on your team and what they are doing. I don’t even know why the stings were brought up in this conversation because the stingettes did get acknowledged.

SUAlum11 said:

What are the "categories?!" Also what is your definition of surpassing?

Joe Moore said:

Sugamama said:

Truth_Serum said:

Tiger Trail said:

Peachyp said:

Sugamama said:

Peachyp said:

Sugamama said:

Peachyp said:

Truth_Serum said:

Whatitdosu said:

Sugamama said:

Truth_Serum said:

Boom!  All of that!

Sugamama said:

Truth_Serum said:

Tiger Trail said:

Peachyp said:

Sugamama said:

Peachyp said:

Sugamama said:

Peachyp said:

Truth_Serum said:

Whatitdosu said:

Sugamama said:

WHO cares, we got the money BAG and THEY ALL are looking for US & we TRAVEL BIG PERIOD POINT BLANK

Uniforms, hair/make-up, stands, field routines (specifically, choreography...I'll give them that their execution on the field was top-tier this season, even if I didn't go up for the actual choreo), march-ins/outs, presence, overall entertainment value...you name it. lol

And IDK. I guess we could say they were top 5, but I mean...we'd be talking literally #5, at best. Stingettes, J-Settes, Black Foxes and Golden Girls all surpassed them in at least a few areas this season, if not all (again, except for field execution). And this is only if we're limiting it to the SWAC. If we're including MEAC, then that knocks the Dolls clean out of the top 5, IMO.

What's happening? said:

In which category’s have the dolls been surpassed in? They definitely aren’t the top HBCU dance team this year but let’s not negate the fact that they are one of the top 5 HBCU dance teams.

Joe Moore said:

Sugamama said:

Truth_Serum said:

Tiger Trail said:

Peachyp said:

Sugamama said:

Peachyp said:

Sugamama said:

Peachyp said:

Truth_Serum said:

Whatitdosu said:

Sugamama said:

There’s is no way I hell you can be saying that the GG’s, J-settes, Stings, and Foxes are better than the dolls in the uniform department. That’s not possible at all. The GG’s didn’t even wear uniforms this season, every single thing they wore was catalog except for three uniforms and two were worn at one game. The J-settes you are tripping. None of the j-settes uniform is even holding up to the dolls uniform even Lemon drop. The stings just got they wardrobe together but it took way to long. For years they been looking like angry birds or a chicken. The foxes had a great uniform this year that they wore twice in a row. They wore multiple uniforms twice this season. I don’t see how they were better in that department.

Onto makeup and hair the stings and the GG’s weren’t better in that department at all. 

Field Routine there’s is no way you’re saying the J-settes, Stings or the GG’s had better routines than the dolls. The GG’s routine was more exciting but it wasn’t better especially the damn j-settes. Not even j-sette fans liked the fieldshows this season. There wasn’t a good fieldshow from them this season. The stings love them but they had variety in their fieldshow but it wasn’t even as creative as the dolls fieldshow.

March in/ march outs for the stings let’s not act as though on every march in/march out that the stings were clean. They were making mistakes left and right. J-settes well they only had 6 or three they had no choice to be clean and there was still some mistakes from them.

nsuking2005 said:

Uniforms, hair/make-up stands, field routines (specifically, choreography...I'll give them that their execution on the field was top-tier this season), march-ins/outs, presence, overall entertainment value...you name it. lol

And IDK. I guess we could say they were top 5, but I mean...we'd be talking literally #5, at best. Stingettes, J-Settes, Black Foxes and Golden Girls all surpassed them in at least some areas (if not all...again, except for field execution). And this is only if we're limiting it to the SWAC. If we're including MEAC, then that knocks the Dolls clean out of the top 5, this season.

What's happening? said:

Joe Moore said:

Sugamama said:

Truth_Serum said:

Tiger Trail said:

Peachyp said:

Sugamama said:

Peachyp said:

Sugamama said:

Peachyp said:

Truth_Serum said:

Whatitdosu said:

Sugamama said:

I'll give you overall entertainment and presence but those other categories you were really reaching for dear life on those.

What's happening? said:

There’s is no way I hell you can be saying that the GG’s, J-settes, Stings, and Foxes are better than the dolls in the uniform department. That’s not possible at all. The GG’s didn’t even wear uniforms this season, every single thing they wore was catalog except for three uniforms and two were worn at one game. The J-settes you are tripping. None of the j-settes uniform is even holding up to the dolls uniform even Lemon drop. The stings just got they wardrobe together but it took way to long. For years they been looking like angry birds or a chicken. The foxes had a great uniform this year that they wore twice in a row. They wore multiple uniforms twice this season. I don’t see how they were better in that department.

Onto makeup and hair the stings and the GG’s weren’t better in that department at all. 

Field Routine there’s is no way you’re saying the J-settes, Stings or the GG’s had better routines than the dolls. The GG’s routine was more exciting but it wasn’t better especially the damn j-settes. Not even j-sette fans liked the fieldshows this season. There wasn’t a good fieldshow from them this season. The stings love them but they had variety in their fieldshow but it wasn’t even as creative as the dolls fieldshow.

March in/ march outs for the stings let’s not act as though on every march in/march out that the stings were clean. They were making mistakes left and right. J-settes well they only had 6 or three they had no choice to be clean and there was still some mistakes from them.

nsuking2005 said:

Uniforms, hair/make-up stands, field routines (specifically, choreography...I'll give them that their execution on the field was top-tier this season), march-ins/outs, presence, overall entertainment value...you name it. lol

And IDK. I guess we could say they were top 5, but I mean...we'd be talking literally #5, at best. Stingettes, J-Settes, Black Foxes and Golden Girls all surpassed them in at least some areas (if not all...again, except for field execution). And this is only if we're limiting it to the SWAC. If we're including MEAC, then that knocks the Dolls clean out of the top 5, this season.

What's happening? said:

Joe Moore said:

Sugamama said:

Truth_Serum said:

Tiger Trail said:

Peachyp said:

Sugamama said:

Peachyp said:

Sugamama said:

Peachyp said:

Truth_Serum said:

Whatitdosu said:

Sugamama said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service