Views: 30106

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

As a Doll fan, my feelings are hurt. I see how sports enthusiasts feel when their team looses or has a bad season. I’ve seen Micah give drama and pizzazz. I attended the NTOB where she made my soul levitate, so I KNOW she has it in her! I think for me that contrast was why last night was so boring. It was a night and day from NTOB. I am too much of a fan to consider ANY season a WASH. The squad has already had good moments. They looked beautiful last night, but when compared to the Stings, it was just...blah. I don’t even want to watch Marvin’s Dolls v. Stingettes video because it would just look even worse. I hate reading “Stingette mopped the floor with the Dolls” because although I won’t sign on to that, I can’t refute it either...and it is bad when they do it with former Doll prospects. It’s like the Cowboys losing a game to their developmental league team.

This sounds like a good idea!

honrae rokermore said:

I think we should start letting the co captains lead or the potential candidates for CAPTAIN lead early

I like Micah better than Gabby for sure. I think Micah’s year is a continuation of Gabby’s year, which doesn’t say much. Gabby DID NOT excite until SWAC Championship; Lord, if SU didn’t attend that game, then Gabby would have been unforgettable for real. Micah started off strong, but she’s flat now. I’m not giving up yet. 

Also, the Stingettes just don’t flow to me. They aren’t as cohesive as the Dolls. The Dolls is a unit; the Stingettes has always had a problem with having teams that back up the captain. Amber’s year was very cohesive. 

I watched that video. I kind of wish that I hadn't. I'm gonna still support, but that was so blah.

Sugamama said:

As a Doll fan, my feelings are hurt. I see how sports enthusiasts feel when their team looses or has a bad season. I’ve seen Micah give drama and pizzazz. I attended the NTOB where she made my soul levitate, so I KNOW she has it in her! I think for me that contrast was why last night was so boring. It was a night and day from NTOB. I am too much of a fan to consider ANY season a WASH. The squad has already had good moments. They looked beautiful last night, but when compared to the Stings, it was just...blah. I don’t even want to watch Marvin’s Dolls v. Stingettes video because it would just look even worse. I hate reading “Stingette mopped the floor with the Dolls” because although I won’t sign on to that, I can’t refute it either...and it is bad when they do it with former Doll prospects. It’s like the Cowboys losing a game to their developmental league team.

Great idwa honrae

honrae rokermore said:

I think we should start letting the co captains lead or the potential candidates for CAPTAIN lead early

Is it possible that our “boredom” with the recent performances is a response to our own high expectations of what we want?

For instance, we psyched ourselves with the thought of the 50th and therefore, created this expectation that it would live up to a certain standard. We psyched ourselves with Micah being captain because many of us didn’t care for Gabby’s reign because of behind the scenes drama. We had a lot of high hopes for Micah because she IS a heavy hitter in the stands but maybe when someone else is calling the shots.

Could our expectations be our own fault?

Love Dance said:

I watched that video. I kind of wish that I hadn't. I'm gonna still support, but that was so blah.

Sugamama said:

This is exactly how I felt. Jordan was practically a shoe-in last year and when that didn’t happen, I was so disappointed that it was hard to appreciate Gabby’s musicality, count selection and grace. Even though I will still maintain that she cemented herself a little too late, Gabby was not a terrible captain at all. Micah at the helm just feels like she could’ve stayed in the back and let Gabby run things. Not everyone is meant to be captain.

I can see why SuArchitect compared Akai to Bridgette too. Even though she’s not as horrific, Akai seems to have too much say in the creativity and direction of the girls and she may be stifling them. I like that she’s been protecting the girls but being overprotective at the expense of allowing the girls to truly shine? That’s not going to work. Guide them but let them be great too!

P.H. said:

We know each captain will get their share of criticisms based on performance. I think most of the flak Gabby received stemmed from a logistical issue concerning the Jordan ordeal. Gabby was just the unfortunate target in the crossfire. The mob of Jordan fanatics needed someone to blame for it. The long and short of it—Gabby’s flak was mostly based in slanted perceptions of fanatics feeling slighted that Jordan was overlooked for captain. People were grieving and mourning that loss rather hard.

D’Tara’s card has been getting pulled since 2014. She’s gotten it more than KP and Stamper. It was made clear, by many posters, they didn’t like her influence on the squad. Specifically, she wasn’t hands-on enough. Yet, here we are with Akai, who’s apparently boss H.B.I.C autonomously runnin’ thangs and nothing gets past her; however, Micah is a dud. Yet, Taylor gave Akai sovereignty. Where are we going???

Love Dance said:

The captain definitely got all of the flak last year too.

P.H. said:

I haven’t watched any of the videos, but what’s interesting to me about the discussion is that Akai receives praise for being borderline overbearing because “she’s in charge of the girls,” but Micah is receiving all of the flak for an underwhelming season. I think the duties and responsibilities of the captain have been significantly reduced under Akai. I wouldn’t be surprised if the gist of Micah’s role is simply throwing counts in the stands, which is still under the discretion of Akai.

@Bee4Bands: YES. For me I had high expectations due to NTOB. In a general sense, I definitely think that is the case. Doll fans thought that we were going to get something way outside the box due to a milestone year. But we are getting is the standard. That is a great thing, but at the same time bad thing. For 50 years, the Dolls have been beautiful, clean, precise and ladylike. That will never change. But at what point does the brand itself interfere with entertainment value? Let’s tell the truth: The Stingettes are THAT team this year, but they are the Dolls’ D league team. It is nothing wrong with NOT being a battle squad, but you want to give a lesson as to why you are the elite team. You do that through performance. The team executed, but did they perform? Not last night in my opinion. Dolls don’t have brand inconsistency like he rest of the SWAC teams. However, the consistency can read as stagnant if you aren’t careful.

I actually didn't have a problem with Gabby's reign. If she would've stayed, I would have liked to see how she would progress. I had hopes that Micah would be even better, simply because they removed a captain that was still on the team and replaced her. I thought it was because Micah would bring something more up front. I'm still holding out hope because I always try to be optimistic about the season. But Lawd, send help fast.

Bee4Bands said:

Is it possible that our “boredom” with the recent performances is a response to our own high expectations of what we want?

For instance, we psyched ourselves with the thought of the 50th and therefore, created this expectation that it would live up to a certain standard. We psyched ourselves with Micah being captain because many of us didn’t care for Gabby’s reign because of behind the scenes drama. We had a lot of high hopes for Micah because she IS a heavy hitter in the stands but maybe when someone else is calling the shots.

Could our expectations be our own fault?

Love Dance said:

Sugamama said:

We definitely don't need another Bridgette. So many girls got screwed over, simply because of her antics.

MiamiVice92 said:

This is exactly how I felt. Jordan was practically a shoe-in last year and when that didn’t happen, I was so disappointed that it was hard to appreciate Gabby’s musicality, count selection and grace. Even though I will still maintain that she cemented herself a little too late, Gabby was not a terrible captain at all. Micah at the helm just feels like she could’ve stayed in the back and let Gabby run things. Not everyone is meant to be captain.

I can see why SuArchitect compared Akai to Bridgette too. Even though she’s not as horrific, Akai seems to have too much say in the creativity and direction of the girls and she may be stifling them. I like that she’s been protecting the girls but being overprotective at the expense of allowing the girls to truly shine? That’s not going to work. Guide them but let them be great too!

P.H. said:

We know each captain will get their share of criticisms based on performance. I think most of the flak Gabby received stemmed from a logistical issue concerning the Jordan ordeal. Gabby was just the unfortunate target in the crossfire. The mob of Jordan fanatics needed someone to blame for it. The long and short of it—Gabby’s flak was mostly based in slanted perceptions of fanatics feeling slighted that Jordan was overlooked for captain. People were grieving and mourning that loss rather hard.

D’Tara’s card has been getting pulled since 2014. She’s gotten it more than KP and Stamper. It was made clear, by many posters, they didn’t like her influence on the squad. Specifically, she wasn’t hands-on enough. Yet, here we are with Akai, who’s apparently boss H.B.I.C autonomously runnin’ thangs and nothing gets past her; however, Micah is a dud. Yet, Taylor gave Akai sovereignty. Where are we going???

Love Dance said:

The captain definitely got all of the flak last year too.

P.H. said:

I haven’t watched any of the videos, but what’s interesting to me about the discussion is that Akai receives praise for being borderline overbearing because “she’s in charge of the girls,” but Micah is receiving all of the flak for an underwhelming season. I think the duties and responsibilities of the captain have been significantly reduced under Akai. I wouldn’t be surprised if the gist of Micah’s role is simply throwing counts in the stands, which is still under the discretion of Akai.

So, evolution and ability to compete is definitely a part of the problem too?

You’re right the Stings are THAT team this year and I haven’t been disappointed with KG and the Settes. PV is also growing on me or probably just Cassandra. I’m thinking it has a lot to do with growing the brand to match the needs of 2019 than anything. Dolls can always keep their style and I APPRECIATE THEM for being as technical, clean and precise as they are. But, is there a way to incorporate this into a more modern, sassier and competitive look?

Sugamama said:

@Bee4Bands: YES. For me I had high expectations due to NTOB. In a general sense, I definitely think that is the case. Doll fans thought that we were going to get something way outside the box due to a milestone year. But we are getting is the standard. That is a great thing, but at the same time bad thing. For 50 years, the Dolls have been beautiful, clean, precise and ladylike. That will never change. But at what point does the brand itself interfere with entertainment value? Let’s tell the truth: The Stingettes are THAT team this year, but they are the Dolls’ D league team. It is nothing wrong with NOT being a battle squad, but you want to give a lesson as to why you are the elite team. You do that through performance. The team executed, but did they perform? Not last night in my opinion. Dolls don’t have brand inconsistency like he rest of the SWAC teams. However, the consistency can read as stagnant if you aren’t careful.

"Wait until later in the season"

"This is a PWI game"

"Ain't nobody to battle"

"It's too hot out there to be bussing it"

I see y'all eating y'all words up like a seafood buffet. I been told y'all this about mighty mic and this years squad. I can't even believe I still saw someone say "she holding back for the hard hitting game" WHAT?! The season ends in like 5 weeks. Y'all and dolls village is DELUSIONAL. She is still missing IT. A lot of IT. Tourist was the most bored I ever been on Tourist. The woodwinds was throwing better counts to Tourist than the dolls. SINGLES?! SINGLES!?

RSS

© 2020   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service