Jackson State Unveils New Domed The "Game Changer" 200 million/ 50,000 seats

“No other university in the South will have this.”

David Hoard, Jackson State’s vice president for institutional advancement, unveiled the school’s plans for its much-discussed 50,000-seat domed football stadium.

Speaking during Tuesday’s Spring Update on the JSU campus, Hoard showed renderings of the proposed on-campus stadium that would not only serve as the new home for the Tigers’ football and basketball teams but could potentially bring much more to Jackson.

Hoard announced that the university had hired SMG, a venue marketing, management and development company that counts the Superdome in New Orleans and Solider Field in Chicago among its clientele, to manage the stadium. That partnership, Hoard trumpeted, would bring major national musical acts to Jackson. Mention Beyonce name. 

“(JSU president Carolyn Meyers) said to think big, and we have thought big,” Hoard said.

But it all comes at a price, $200 million, according to Hoard.

He reported a bill had already passed through the House that would allocate $75 million in funding toward the project.

He also said the school would call on “13 or 14 various streams” for funding, such as personal seat licenses, stadium naming rights and possible student fees, that could add up to $320 million.

“So, we have options,” Hoard said. “If something doesn’t work out, we can go another direction.”

Hoard said the future of Memorial Stadium would be left up to the state, and pointed to the new stadium’s versatility as its biggest selling point.

Tags: Dawg, Red, SOP, TOP, Trumpfunk, WT, aamu, alcorn, girls, golden, More…grambling, jsettes, jsu, lions, pvamu, sec, su, swac, tigers, txsu, uapb, valley

Views: 2944

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Don't really see how this relates to either band or music. Maybe it belongs on tspnsports.com!

and not to long ago there were several threads talking about Alabama State new stadium... and I said congrats... so.... This thread has every right to be on bandhead...... 

BAMASTATESPIRIT said:

Don't really see how this relates to either band or music. Maybe it belongs on tspnsports.com!

It'll be nice ta hear jstate in a dome

Nice JSU...However make sure they can at least open the top of the dome up! Other than that Congrats JSU! I like to see HBCU's making major moves & improvements...

i seriously doubt it cause 200 mil for a dome is like a new car with no a/c or cd player.

TxSU tone said:

Nice JSU...However make sure they can at least open the top of the dome up! Other than that Congrats JSU! I like to see HBCU's making major moves & improvements...

4 your Hating Needs .... smh lol

Hope they build a parking garage to go with it,cuz when we(SU) go to JSU, we get raped to park blocks away from the stadium.. guess that's the only time they make money when the JAGS come to town.. They need to build some decent places to go in Jackson as well.I thought B.R. was ratchet,Jackson is ratchet as hell..LOL

wow did you really compare a 200 million dollar dome to a new car.  AND what do you mean you doubt it cost that much, Jackson State vice president stated its going to cost that much.  the dome going to be better than a car its going have A/c with climate control all over the Dome and better than a cd player the dome mostly likely going to have state of the art sound systems... If some houses can cost 20 million dollars why wouldnt a dome that seats 50,000 people, plus box seats, etc. cost 200 million and a new modern dome at that. people make sense.... Heck even the saints mercedes dome was built with 200+ million and now its worth 578 million. THE HATE IS REAL.... congrats JSU on doing big things

GREG T. said:

i seriously doubt it cause 200 mil for a dome is like a new car with no a/c or cd player.

TxSU tone said:

When you have a campus and a stadium thats looks like Southern Unviersity, then that right there should shut you up.... And even at SU the parking is crazy and have to walk almost 2 miles to get up to the stadium... And lets not forget about that so call in zone seating you guys built lol.... and lately the Boombox Classic hasnt been worth nothing, JSU homecoming was packer, Southern Heritage was packer, the JSU vs SEC game was soldout, the soul bowl attendance was even higher than the boombox with nowhere to stand or seat. But you should worry about Bayou Classic loosing endorsements and attendances. And name a game other than the Boombox Classic that sells out mumford stadium in baton rouge????? right.... WAIT SU DONT EVEN HAVE A PARKING GARAGE for football games....

Tommy J90 said:

Hope they build a parking garage to go with it,cuz when we(SU) go to JSU, we get raped to park blocks away from the stadium.. guess that's the only time they make money when the JAGS come to town.. They need to build some decent places to go in Jackson as well.I thought B.R. was ratchet,Jackson is ratchet as hell..LOL

ATL Classic not even that profitable.... thats why FAMU backed out because expensive increased and endorses wasnt given money.... and Murk City Classic bahaha joke of a classic.... 

Why can't you just be happy for a HBCU's administration 's vision for the University. Why all the negative comments, well I know it's JSU! There is not a HBCU on this site that shouldn't be applauding JSU for pursuing this most difficult project. This is not about just one HBCU if you can think outside the box, but I'll stop here because I guess we are use to the haters! Yes I said it!  Go JSU! Congrats!!

Whoa na. lol. Well, I have ALWAYS hated the fact that SU does not have a parking garage, but lets face it, whenever you have THAT many people on campus, you are NEVER gonna have adequate parking.

LSU has one of the biggest stadium capacities in college football, and they ALSO hundreds of parking garages lol, and trust me when I tell you....people still have to park MILES out to walk to the stadium. I dont know of any CAMPUS in the world that allows all 30,000 people at a football game to have a nice, comfortable, cozy spot right up to the stadium...aint gonna happen. You are gonna have crowdedness and inadequate parking. Its apart of the Gameday Experience.

With that said, I think SU has one of the best ON-CAMPUS game day experiences, along with FAMU, NCATSU. and (now) Alabama State.

Lastly, please DONT downplay SU's significance when they come to town. I mean, thats just DUMB. lol. Whether you are an SU fan or not, people EVERYWHERE knows SU's dominance when we visit other campuses and stadiums. It has been VERY WELL documented that SU has THE BEST traveling fan base, BY FAR.

And now, for a spell check, (which is why the may need to use this 200 million for better teachers and books, IMO)

"in zone"   ..is that the same as an ENDZONE????

"packer"    not sure if thats a word. Maybe MORE PACKED, or EVEN MORE PACKED????

"seat"       pretty sure that should be SIT.

In other news, I actually dont think this particular thing will be built. Not hating or anything, but I definitely think it would be on a much SMALLER scale than what is drawn up..it ALWAYS IS!

It was like that with SU's stadium expansion, and also with PV's proposed stadium. Even Alabama State's new stadium is much smaller than the original renderings.

Lets just think on a REALISTIC thinking train here...NO HBCU IS GONNA BE BUILDING A 50,000 SEAT STADIUM ANY TIME SOON. Thats just too big. Theres a reason why ALL HBCU stadiums are MUCH smaller than our WHITE counterparts.

LSU could be having a horrible season and still average SELL OUTS EVERY GAME.

SU or JSU can have a bad season and attendance DRAMATICALLY DECREASES, as seen with SU the last few years. Thats a big RISK to assume when you are looking for a RETURN on INVESTMENT on a TOO BIG stadium that takes MILLIONS OF DOLLARS A YEAR TO UPKEEP, and you only average 1/3 of the stadium capacity.

And NO LARGE-SCALE ARTIST in the history of music has EVER expressed interest in holding a LARGE-SCALE concerts in the city of Jackson,  (not hating, but its just not a big market that people are trying to break their necks to get into) so im not sure what SUPPLY-DEMAND curve they can be using to justify building such a venue for concerts that they dont have expressed-interest about yet.

I, honestly, could see the NCAA TOURNAMENT being there. I honestly could. BUT the rate of return for 2 NCAA college basketball games in a VERY SMALL MARKET, coupled with JSU football season is NOT enough to re-coop purchase and maintenance cost of such a large, expensive venue.

Now, on the other hand, the University of IDAHO (no, YOU da ho, sorry had to get that in) does have a VERY VERY small domed stadium that works very well for them, with about 20, 000 seats.

Im sorry, but this plan at JSU is not going to happen on THIS scale. Not hating, but just being realistic. I am very pleased that JSU and dreaming big and seeing if its possible, but at a certain point, it is just gonna be scaled down and scaled down, and scaled down some more. Just a little too ambitious for an FINICKY fan base such as our HBCU's.

BAND/MUSIC said:

When you have a campus and a stadium thats looks like Southern Unviersity, then that right there should shut you up.... And even at SU the parking is crazy and have to walk almost 2 miles to get up to the stadium... And lets not forget about that so call in zone seating you guys built lol.... and lately the Boombox Classic hasnt been worth nothing, JSU homecoming was packer, Southern Heritage was packer, the JSU vs SEC game was soldout, the soul bowl attendance was even higher than the boombox with nowhere to stand or seat. But you should worry about Bayou Classic loosing endorsements and attendances. And name a game other than the Boombox Classic that sells out mumford stadium in baton rouge????? right.... WAIT SU DONT EVEN HAVE A PARKING GARAGE for football games....

Tommy J90 said:

RSS

© 2014   Created by Marchingsport.com.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service