Jackson State University has selected alumnus Chloé Ashley as director of the JSU Prancing J-Settes.

Chloe_

Ashley, a native of Jackson and graduate of Murrah High School, was trained in ballet, modern and jazz at Power Academic and Performing Arts Complex.  She obtained a bachelors degree in economics from Jackson State University while performing in the Sonic Boom of the South marching band as a member and captain of the Prancing J-Settes.

Ashley is currently pursuing a master’s degree in dance education from New York University.  Aside from her studies in New York, she has choreographed, taught and performed various genres of dance ranging from ballet to East African. In May, she will perform at Radio City Music Hall.

The Sonic Boom of the South released a statement on its website, www.sonicboomofthesouth.com: “We are pleased to welcome Ms. Chloé Ashley as the next Director of the famous Prancing J-Settes. We are also confident the J-Settes are now poised to soar to even higher heights.”

Ashley will return to campus after completion of her studies in May at New York University.

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Congrats!

• This has already been posted in the college forum and there is one in the dancers forum, why u post this here???

• this is a disaster in the making to pick a young chic who sucked her one year as captain says alot about the direction j state going in now. i cant see how those girls gonna have much respect for her being she isnt that much older than themand im sure alumni will prolly be like bitch please

• Proud to see one of our own from Murrah High School and Jackson State University returning to teach and be a positive role model to others. Apparently her education and gift from God isn't enough for some of you to be satisfied with her in the position. Smh. Congratulations Chloé from the Murrah High School Sound of Perfection family.
  • Even tho your post was in poor taste and class...urgh!! i kinda understand what you mean tho. I am glad that hopefully the J-settes will receive some fresh new talented ideas and perspectives, BUT, it is already hard enough getting the young ladies together on ONE ACCORD between EACH OTHER. Throw in a director who is only a few years older, and sometimes the "UTMOST RESPECT" factor is not there AS MUCH.

Love or hate Ms. Worthy, she kept them girls in line and they DARE NOT disrespect her, from what I understand. Same with Ms. Roche with the Dolls. Same with Coach G with the Motion. The older advisors/directors usually garner a little bit more respect, just do to the shear age difference.

I believe this factor is what led to such a turmoil year with the Stingettes. Younger directors/coordinator are great for young, fresh talent and moves, but not so great for RESPECT. You start looking at them more as a FRIEND, instead of a BOSS.

But with the help of the band director, I hope they can pull off a great year!!!!!!

Also, from what I understand, there is DEFINITELY a SUPRISE in the works for the Dolls this upcoming year! hehe

Damont Griffin said:

this is a disaster in the making to pick a young chic who sucked her one year as captain says alot about the direction j state going in now. i cant see how those girls gonna have much respect for her being she isnt that much older than themand im sure alumni will prolly be like bitch please

JSU names alumnus new Prancing J-Settes director
    Jackson State University has selected alumnus Chloé Ashley as director of the JSU Prancing J-Settes. Ashley, a native of Jackson and graduate of Mur…
  • Ok, I'm glad that at least an alumni j-sette (like ms. Worthy) was chosen for the position. I knew afrochanna wasn't doing it, especially goin from some foolishness that happened in 2006. But she definitely would've been great I think....but let's be real here. I agree with Damont Griffin, Chloe wasn't a very good captain. And if u wanna be technical, she technically got Captain by default. Who else was there for an option? And during her "reign" its like she was lazy, all she did was row by row in the stands and kept recycling the same uniform 30x in a entire band season. And the only routine she technically made up was that mess in the CCC 2008. Nadia came back(captain before her) and just shook her head at that mess. Ppl talkin bout how she'll maintain the j-sette style, it was really Shanketta who actually brought a lot of it back. She made old heads proud. I think Shanketta would've made an AWESOME director. U could tell she watched some throw backs, but back to ms ashley.....Ok, she has credentials and great form but that doesn't mean she's a great leader. I don't see what the big deal is, some ppl may call this hatin, but whatever. Who knows how she's changed in the course of 4/5 yrs. Her form is good, but she wasn't a stand out nor did she leave a mark in the the j-sette hall of famers imo. But all in all I really do wish her and the j-settes the best. I pray they'll still reign supreme as one of if not the best hbcu dancelines.
  • I thought Afrochanna was a "definite" after Ms. Worthy. But honestly think Chloe will lead & shock the naysayers. Only time will tell!
  • Yall do understand that she is the director not the captain right?..I think yall have it confused smh
  • Well it depends on how hands-on they are. Ms. Roche for the Dolls teaches NO choreography whatsover. She brings IDEAS and suggestions, and helps get the money together...thats IT.

I think JoJo for the Stingettes had a much larger part on her group. Just like the Golden Delight director/coordinator plays a larger part as well, from fitness/boot camp to practice, uniforms, etc

Aquann Smith said:

Yall do understand that she is the director not the captain right?..I think yall have it confused smh
    JSU names alumnus new Prancing J-Settes director
    Jackson State University has selected alumnus Chloé Ashley as director of the JSU Prancing J-Settes. Ashley, a native of Jackson and graduate of Mur…
  • When you don't know what's going on, keep for idiotic opinions to yourself. Congrats Chloe! Ready to see what she brings to the table. Anybody that KNOWS Chloe, knows what she can do. But when you're on the outside looking in, you don't know sh....nothing. 

This reply was deleted.