I thought someone would have posted this by now, but what happened, what were the results? and does anyone have videos? Who was blowing? 

Tags: 2012, BOTB, Forest, North

Views: 1006

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Music is a big chunk of the score, so most likely the band with the better sound will win. Ohh and cangrate Alex and Jeff Davis High school. 

BIG-AL said:

are you baseing this of of drill or sound??... or over all show????? I dont get it???..DA WELL

Joshua Taylor said:

yates should of beat jeff davis westbury should of beat pa memorial 

I AM A YATES FAN NOW! they look and sound good...but even that could not beat JD's sound. also Davis did a better drill than usual. Yates was more entertaining though. Davis, to me anyways, is more Big 10 than Swac/HBCU.

Okay...let me ask you a question....is bigger always better??? Just because one group is bigger than another group, doesn't mean they have a better show!!! I think putting the kids in the larger categories where there is more competition is a good thing. How can you beat a heavy weight if you don't fight a heavy weight??? If you're a 5A high school at UIL Concert and Sight-Redaing, and you have 26 people in your top band, you still have to compete with the bands that are 65, 80, or 100. AND, if you're school has made a I (0ne) before, you have to still play pieces that are a grade 4 and 5. They are judging you on your sound, not the SIZE of your group. I just think it's the same principle. Why not compete against the groups you want to beat??? Westbury doesn't look like they're EVER afraid of competing in any category to me!!! 

bandislife said:

westbury is the best at drilling , but they PUT themselves into these medium large categories so i think judges (already having hard choices with picking a winner out of the big bands) can always use that as an excuse.  But maybe the director wants his band to have more of a challenge.  Doesn't always make sense though.

A loss is a loss, but what is a win when it's too easy??? And just because a band is bigger, doesn't mean they sound better!!! Westbury did not sound bad that night. I believe they should have placed higher than they did because their show overall, had some mistakes, but had a real good sound, and less mistakes than the other groups in their category. When you look at it, Westbury marched 40 people, from what I saw, P.A. Memorial marched 48, and Austin without all the Auxiliary had about the same as Westbury.....so they were in the right category. And i don't think their moral is ever shaken because they always bring it when they perform....

Chris - Pinnacle of Hummanity... said:

I've never understood that either. You lose on sound points when you go up against a larger group. A loss is a loss. Not sure how doing that improves moral.

Official results from the Battle of the Bands (I'm just the messenger):

Percussion
1. Yates
2. Austin
3. Southwood

Flags/Color Guard
1. Central
2. Southwood

3. Austin

Majorettes/Twirlers
1. Southwood
2. Memorial
3. Westbury

Dancers/Drill Teams
1. Westbury
2. Peabody
3. Austin

Drum Major(s)
1. Central
2. Southwood
3. Memorial

Small Bands
1. Davis
2. Yates

Medium Bands
1. Memorial
2. Austin
3. Westbury

Large Bands
1. Central
2. Southwood
3. Peabody

Grand Champion
Beaumont Central

A good number of videos are here http://www.youtube.com/showtimeweb courtesy of Showtimeweb :-) coming through for us for the past few years now.

Peabody competing in large cat now? That's what's up.
Good win central, its been a while.lol

if possible, could p.a. memorials show be posted as well

i agree, i think challenging kids should always be present.  doesn't matter about the size of the band its the quality of the band, i've always seen westbury go up against larger bands and that works for them because i notice how those kids approach the field, there's no fear in them at all which is good because too many times we see small bands afraid of larger bands because of the numbers factor.  when i was at worthing we loved going up against larger groups face-to-face because it would push my kids and show me who's really in the band for the right reasons.  keep up the work westbury do yall thing and don't change because things don't make sense to others.  if that works for you guys then keep doing it... good to see houston bands are still representing, i miss seeing all the bands in h-town tho.  been hearing good things tho...once i get my group shaped up our here in austin we'll be down there for a spring time event or so...as long as you guys allow middle schools to participate lol

Unsung said:

A loss is a loss, but what is a win when it's too easy??? And just because a band is bigger, doesn't mean they sound better!!! Westbury did not sound bad that night. I believe they should have placed higher than they did because their show overall, had some mistakes, but had a real good sound, and less mistakes than the other groups in their category. When you look at it, Westbury marched 40 people, from what I saw, P.A. Memorial marched 48, and Austin without all the Auxiliary had about the same as Westbury.....so they were in the right category. And i don't think their moral is ever shaken because they always bring it when they perform....

Chris - Pinnacle of Hummanity... said:

I've never understood that either. You lose on sound points when you go up against a larger group. A loss is a loss. Not sure how doing that improves moral.

drilling



BIG-AL said:

are you baseing this of of drill or sound??... or over all show????? I dont get it???..DA WELL

Joshua Taylor said:

yates should of beat jeff davis westbury should of beat pa memorial 



Ty -tenor- said:

drilling



BIG-AL said:

are you baseing this of of drill or sound??... or over all show????? I dont get it???..DA WELL

Joshua Taylor said:

yates should of beat jeff davis westbury should of beat pa memorial 


if Davis had did the drills they have done in the past they would have lost, but did you hear Davis? and this is an off year for them... they are one of the best sounding bands...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Marchingsport.com.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service