This thread can get deleted if it needs to, just wanted to explain since asked. 

Perfect example on 1st count. 

Look at how Danni extends her arm and keeps her focus all the way to her finger tips. 

That's what I mean by nuances. 

It completes the move, enhances the count, and gives the dramatics.

The only person I saw that did it, and hung with Danni this entire performance was Gabby, which this performance was when I saw "captain" in her.

Completing every move and delivering the right dramatics for the mood.

Nuances to me is about being detailed, filling the gaps, throwing the right counts and delivering the right dramatics. It's filling and what makes performances great. Example.

Views: 6483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What comes to mind if "Playing Games". So, are you saying Micah doesn't possess those above things? Cause a few days ago people were gagging over that performance, now she doesn't have the nuances and count selection to match songs? Make it make sense

MellyMel said:

I don't understand why people get so upset about differing opinions except when someone is being mean-spirited or nasty. Everybody is not going to like or appreciate the same thing. 

I've read things that people have posted that made me change my mind because it was well articulated and substantive. It should be fun to debate not exhausting.

I think nuance in dance is important especially with this style of dance where a song is not specifically choreographed but a repertoire of counts are woven together extemporaneously at the discretion of the captain. The little details with the hands, the intensity of the execution, the slight tweaks to make an ordinary count express the essence and attitude of a song matter. And for the captain, selecting counts which highlight the nuances in the musical arrangement particularly in the cadence and syncopation of the wind instruments is important. 

I want to see a video example of her not have “doll nuances” Then just maybe i might get it. 

I think Micah does exceptionally well with her attention to detail with the way she moves her body. Regardless of the song that is playing or the count selected, her form is beautiful overall. Her form makes her stand out on the field especially but also in the stands before and during her reign as captain. I used to love when they would throw singles and it was Micah's turn because she would slay. I also feel like Micah does an exceptional job with her expressions and looking fully engaged in the song. 

As captain, she doesn't do as well in matching her count selection and the tempo of the individual moves in each count to the details of the musical arrangement that is being played. Compare Gabby's count selection to No Bystanders vs. Micah's to get my point. She is on point moreso on the slower songs, but not as consistently as she could be for everything else. Also, the intensity of her dancing regardless of her form is often slightly off from the music (He Loves Me).  Sometimes the intensity is slightly off from the squad as well. I thought she did an awesome job with Playing Games yesterday, but there were some places where I felt like certain members of the team could have served more of the dramatics in movement and expression that she was giving to back her up. Is that mismatch her fault for not communicating as captain or the team's fault for not catching the vibe? Gabby struggled with this as well last year, especially at the beginning of the season except in reverse because certain team members would be out-dancing her. 

I do think that certain individuals may be critical for reasons that have nothing to do with skill, but that is pretty rare on this board, and people call it out when they see it. You can judge people's opinions based on the evidence they use to support it, and some people just don't articulate themselves that well. It doesn't necessarily mean that their criticism is unwarranted because they can't. 

Jason said:

What comes to mind if "Playing Games". So, are you saying Micah doesn't possess those above things? Cause a few days ago people were gagging over that performance, now she doesn't have the nuances and count selection to match songs? Make it make sense

MellyMel said:

I don't understand why people get so upset about differing opinions except when someone is being mean-spirited or nasty. Everybody is not going to like or appreciate the same thing. 

I've read things that people have posted that made me change my mind because it was well articulated and substantive. It should be fun to debate not exhausting.

I think nuance in dance is important especially with this style of dance where a song is not specifically choreographed but a repertoire of counts are woven together extemporaneously at the discretion of the captain. The little details with the hands, the intensity of the execution, the slight tweaks to make an ordinary count express the essence and attitude of a song matter. And for the captain, selecting counts which highlight the nuances in the musical arrangement particularly in the cadence and syncopation of the wind instruments is important. 

This was a good performance but not great or memorable in my opinion. Some of the moves were hit and too sharp and her head movements were a little over exaggerated taking away frok the performance instead of taking it to the next level. I didn't see any great detail anywhere either.

Look at the count she starts at 0:47, and the part where she she slides her hands across her shoulders. The way she finishes sharply takes away from it especially when Kaylon is showing doing the same move so smoothly through out.

Yes these are nitpicks but imo its what keeps performances from being great.

If this was a great performance to you, one that you will remember, then tell me why you see it as great.

Again, Kaylon and Jada were giving the song thr gentleness it needed, and there's a difference in how their performance look in comparison.

You could say the same thing about the way she throws her head back with her elbow up in the count at 1:22 versus the way that Kaylon and Cam do it. Mika Smith, I see what you see about the nuances as they relate to the song and not the "doll form." 

Mika Smith said:

This was a good performance but not great or memorable in my opinion. Some of the moves were hit and too sharp and her head movements were a little over exaggerated taking away frok the performance instead of taking it to the next level. I didn't see any great detail anywhere either.

Look at the count she starts at 0:47, and the part where she she slides her hands across her shoulders. The way she finishes sharply takes away from it especially when Kaylon is showing doing the same move so smoothly through out.

Yes these are nitpicks but imo its what keeps performances from being great.

If this was a great performance to you, one that you will remember, then tell me why you see it as great.

Again, Kaylon and Jada were giving the song thr gentleness it needed, and there's a difference in how their performance look in comparison.

So Marvin’s videos of last nights performance are up.. what are your thoughts everyone? 

I think I only really liked Playing Games and Jungle.

It was just okay.

Motion was good. Energetic. Great Counts. Just poor form. They weren't clean, but I saw the potential.

dollfan101 said:

So Marvin’s videos of last nights performance are up.. what are your thoughts everyone? 

https://youtu.be/m77QwxyHcCk

Jukebox media posted the battle in its entirety.  Sorry if this is a repost. 

If Motion gets their arm placement together and balance the energy/movement they will be HELL in the SWAC.  Their bodies are sickening. Every last one. 

The Dolls were on par with the brand.  They were good. More entertaining than Port BOTB. 

I think having Taneria next to Gabby is a bit of a mixmatch because they move so differently.

Imo Arielle should be next to Gabby and Taneria next to Jordan. I think Jordan in the middle would match Micah's energy and Gabby in the middle would soften things up.

Also, whenever Kaylon and Micah danced together they were not in sync. Wonder if Cam would match Micah more in that middle spot? 

A better way to introduce and highlight the crabs would have been having both in visible spots, like possibly the top row being..

Jada, Lindsey, Cam, Arianna, Kaylon

Arielle, Gabby, Jordan, Taneria

Micah

Sometimes simple seating arrangments can change the look and feel of things. Surprised they havent really played around with it more until right.

Gold Beyoncé has got to go. I’m tired of seeing her and I’m surprised they aren’t tired as well. That uniform gets pulled more than any other uniform in that closet. I still won’t get over the choice of remaking certain uniforms as opposed to just getting new ones

Why do y'all care so much if someone isn't feeling Micah? I don't think anyone on here was rude.

@Jason are you related to Micah? You are really passionate.

Anyways I watched the highlights and battle. The band sounded great and the dolls were actually entertaining. I don't know what got into them but they looked GOODT. Whoever said "dolls don't battle" is a lie because they were battling. Jordan looked like her old self but more polished, Shirley was definitely in the building. Freshmen was catching my attention ALOT. Kaylon is really growing on me, last year she wasn't a fave of mine at all but this year my eyes draw to her. When her and Micah dance together I have to look at just Kaylon cause they don't match. Micah is overpowering. Jada is perfection, she is really doing the tail thing. I did notice Taneria was losing her balance at times when she would throw hard counts.

This is just from my personal perspective everybody at some part of last nite SNAPPED multiple times to me except two people. Micah and Cam. I think its Cam spot, I forget about her and all that hair be in her face which hides her. I like Micah's dramatic lay outs though. And it's not about Micah's skin or features. Arielle is dark skinned and I get all of my life from her. Y'all please watch tourist Florida A&M game ONLY watch Arielle.

Can we take a moment to appreciate how Gabby was smiling in that video when He Loves Me started playing. I was mesmerized lol. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service