Bethune Cookman University
Tennessee State University
Alabama State University
Jackson State University
Southern University

Views: 1456

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was in the Tunnels for the First Honda when Tennessee State and Morris Brown went at it, I was standing right next to the 'cat who taped it (I wasn't doing video myself at the time).  I knew it was gonna go down, the same way it ended up happening in the Tunnels at The SWAC Championship in 2013.  If I were Honda I'd (be rich, lol)  put some cameras down there and pump it on the jumbotron.... OR have a stand component to the Battle.  

Putting the WINNER component to the event really made the bands step up last year.  There should probably be a 2nd and 3rd place also.

The people who run the Honda are acting preposterous if they are using this Botb as a fundraiser and not have 3 of the best Historically Black College Marching Bands under one roof and not allow them to have some form of battle. That warlike atmosphere brings the crowds. But I'm sleep though

Thing of it man is that Battle means different things to different.  Growing up in New Orleans a Battle of the Bands was standing on the street corner before a parade letting somebody have it.  

To others its a Battle of Field Shows.  But really though, you're not gonna have SU, JSU, Talladega AND Bama State there without shots being fired (metaphorically).   

Agreed. 

Marchingsport.com said:

Thing of it man is that Battle means different things to different.  Growing up in New Orleans a Battle of the Bands was standing on the street corner before a parade letting somebody have it.  

To others its a Battle of Field Shows.  But really though, you're not gonna have SU, JSU, Talladega AND Bama State there without shots being fired (metaphorically).   

If honda had STANDS and let the bands REALLY go at it....honda could be B-I-G......nobdy really cares for field shows...smh when are they gunna realize that the people are getting tired of it

Folks are looking at this event the wrong way. Honda's objective is not to make money from the event. This is a donation, strictly for PR - I doubt they've broken even over the years.

Basically you have a white corporation wanting to increase their footprint in the black community. So they erroneously hired a "multicultural" PR firm to do that for them - assuming that all black folks are this monolith. And the "multicultural" firm they hired is based in Chicago... Chicago is THE LAST place I would seek a PR firm if I wanted to put on any type of HBCU event. When I think "HBCU marching bands" I don't think Chicago. So it's obvious Honda is clueless...

The entire selection thing was BS and that crowd last year had Honda looking at the PR firm like - WTF? That 2014 crowd made them seriously rethink their efforts. Anyways, it's obvious they sought the advice of bandheads for this years event. And some asses got chewed because the PR firm has a new "visible" staff running this thing so I think this year will turn out much nicer.

But if it were me... I would say look Honda, just pull 6 top bands and have the other bands write an essay on why they should be allowed to fill the remaining 2 slots. Then have the top 6 vote on the essays and chose who they want there.

It could hurt their fieldshow but they're not threat to a band that's been playing together since the summer.

Ray Dex (Rest in Peace G) said:

Newson, SU graduate and BD for Showtime is pulling from the concert and pep band at Howard to increase the numbers for Honda, is this acceptable? Morehouse did the same for the 2014 HBOTB.

I'm ready to see all of the bands. TC going first is going to be interesting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service