Removing Yates HS Band Program

Should Yates High School Marching Band program be removed?

The band has shown no progress in the last 16 years. Alumni like my ex-wife are strong supporters, but I disagree.

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Votes: 0

Replies

• if there's still potential i don't think it's any need to shut a high school program down.
  • Nah, wouldn't be a smart decision. We are already losing show-style bands, as we speak. I don't believe because a music program isn't doing well, you should shut it down. It's best to think of something to help improve it, and trust, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people who would like to help. I mean, come on. It's right next to Texas Southern.

Give it time and put it in the right hands, I'm sure they'll improve.
  • Well .. it would be ..A BIG NO!!!!!.....FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT....IF YOU SHUT THEM DOWN FOR NOT SHOWING PROGRESS YOU WOULD HAVE TO SHUT DOWN THE FOLLOWING BAND PROGRAMS ALSO......

CHIVEZ

SHARPSTOWN

WHEATLEY

KASHMER

MADISON

BELLAIRE

LAMAR

STERLING.....ECT.....AND MANY MORE......

TO BE HONEST YATES HAS SHOWN PROGRESS... WE @ (DAVIS  HIGH SCHOOL) PLAY JACK YATES FOr THe PAST THREE YEARS NOW AND I  HAVE SEEN MAJOR PROGRESS...JUST BECAUSE IT  IS NOT AS BIG OR AS FAST AS YOU WOULD LIKE IT TO BE.. IT IS GROWING AGAIN... PLUSH LETS NOT FORGET..  (MR.GARY MILLER) A FOMER BAND DIRECTOR..  THIS KAT HAD YATES BLOWIN.. IN 2005-2006...BUT HE HAD TO LEAVE BECAUSE OF CERTIFICATION ISSUSE'S..BUt STILL HE DID HIS THING..PLUS..(Mr. WILLAIMS) KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING ..... HE DID A GREAT JOB AT WESTBURY WHEN HE WAS THERE AND HE'S DOING A GREAT JOB AT JACK YATES HIGH SCHOOL.......SO NO I DONT THINK THEY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN...THEY JUST NEED SOME ALONE TIME TO SORT OUT THE RUFF EDGES OF THE PROGRAM....

• that wouldnt make sense.
  • It would only lead to more programs getting shut down..
  • yates was blowin n 01-02
  • the reason Yates is struggling is because of the feeder programs or lack thereof. The program is up and down but now heading in the right direction. They went to uil contest in 2010 & in 2009 they got a division 2 in sightreading. That shows that somebody is doing their job.

That talk about programs being shut down is because of that bill Texas is trying to pass. There are several programs being looked at right now for removal.
  • folks need to quit complaining and get to work! this is embarrasing for somebody to get on here and talk about closing Yates band program! Yates, Wheatley, Washington are the top 3 oldest black high schools so why would you even part your lips on this site to say something ignorant as such! i agree with Goldy, the feeder pattern has to assist with yates band as well or it wont grow... as for the person who started this thread - are you teaching music?  have yout tried helping yates band?  are you in yates band?  how much ownership do you have in yates band! we dont need bands closing! WE NEED MORE MIDDLE SCHOOL DIRECTORS PUMPING LIFE INTO OUR HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAMS.   so before you make another thread like this go HELP YATES BAND AND QUIT TRYING TO STIR UP ANT-BEDS BECAUSE ITS HIGHLY OFFENSIVE TO MANY ESPECIALLY ME BEING A YATES GRAD... Yates has had its issues Yes!~ but nowhere near the level of closing the band because "YOU" or others dont like whats going on... this thread needs to be closed because this is the kind of foolishness that them "folks" like to read! and you're not helping the situation you're hurting it through this mis-informed thread!~

• Naw Yates is a good program and they are respected as a band and even tho they are small doesn't mean they have to remove them as a band
  • Kashmer has a band...... WOW
This reply was deleted.