So I was recently having a discussion with one of my buddies who runs one of the better corp style HS bands here in GA and he asked me why there aren't any black Corp style bands. I told him we have NSU which is considered a hybrid but we don't have an all corp band because most were brought up in a traditional show style band. N besides....show style band shows are more culturally appealing to our audiences. He went on to say that while he agreed on the entertainment aspect, corp style bands pay more attention to detail and in the end create more and better musicians. 

 

Thoughts!?!?

Views: 3326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bogus. I hate that white is right attitude, even though the comments doesn't come out verbatim. All corps bands are no detailed, just like all showbands aren't detailed.

Eh, having marched show style in HS and now corp style in college (JMU), there is a bit of a difference. Your friend is correct in saying that corp style bands pay a great amount of attention to detail, more specifically in the field shows. If you sat and watched a corp style band throughout a whole game, you would notice that the stand songs are limited (maybe 4 or 5 songs) and they probably won't sound as great but the field show is very precise, clean and articulate because that's the only thing that matters to them. Who cares about the crowd?! They perform the same field show the whole season and practice is maybe an hour and a half. I like to think of corp style bands as working smarter, not harder. Musicality is the first, the last and the only. Corp style is just concert band but with a drill. On the flip side, I feel as if show style bands like NSU, don't get the credit they deserve. But there are very few show style bands that can mix the entertainment aspect with precision, clarity and musicality. As far as creating more and better musicians, I mean how can you really say? I know a ton of "better musicians" who marched/march show style, myself included...having experienced both sides of the fence, show style bands as a whole need to stop sacrificing quality for crowd pleasure and corp style bands need to stop being so ignorant towards show style bands. I hope I didn't get too off topic lol

I was in the same boat as MusikChild--marching showstyle in HS and drum corps in college. I feel the same way he does, too, but the few cats I played with in the drumline has more of an open mind towards the showstyle aspect than others. When you think about it, though, if we can pay at least a little more attention to detail, precision, clarity and technique like I know very few showstyle ensembles do, especially in percussion, then imagine how much better it would look and sound! Heyal, if corp-styled drumlines can practice in front of a large mirror to fine tune their music, cadences, etc., then showstyle can do the same thing, too!

Omg...u march fo JMU??? Im a BIG fan of the program there! Thanx both of u for sharing!

MusikChild said:

Eh, having marched show style in HS and now corp style in college (JMU), there is a bit of a difference. Your friend is correct in saying that corp style bands pay a great amount of attention to detail, more specifically in the field shows. If you sat and watched a corp style band throughout a whole game, you would notice that the stand songs are limited (maybe 4 or 5 songs) and they probably won't sound as great but the field show is very precise, clean and articulate because that's the only thing that matters to them. Who cares about the crowd?! They perform the same field show the whole season and practice is maybe an hour and a half. I like to think of corp style bands as working smarter, not harder. Musicality is the first, the last and the only. Corp style is just concert band but with a drill. On the flip side, I feel as if show style bands like NSU, don't get the credit they deserve. But there are very few show style bands that can mix the entertainment aspect with precision, clarity and musicality. As far as creating more and better musicians, I mean how can you really say? I know a ton of "better musicians" who marched/march show style, myself included...having experienced both sides of the fence, show style bands as a whole need to stop sacrificing quality for crowd pleasure and corp style bands need to stop being so ignorant towards show style bands. I hope I didn't get too off topic lol

Perceptual. Almost entirely. Marched BOTH in HS, showstyle in college. Showstyle bands tend to "entertain" more though. Btw...UofMichigan, USC, Ohio State and Michigan State are technically NOT CORPS STYLE BANDS. I've met plenty trombone players from numerous top corps programs who couldn't play an altered scale and had only inttermediate tone quality. Quality of show and sound starts at the top...same as style and execution....something to REALLY think about.

P.S. Kirk Whalum and Andre Heyward didn't march for corps bands and both cycle breathe and play more than one instrument with virtuousity....tone included....

Yeah, lol. Corps style really isn't my cup of tea now that I've experienced it so I won't be doing marching band next season...but yes, JMU does have a quite nice music program. You should come up and see it for yourself if you ever get the chance.

Underage Thinker said:

Omg...u march fo JMU??? Im a BIG fan of the program there! Thanx both of u for sharing!

MusikChild said:

Eh, having marched show style in HS and now corp style in college (JMU), there is a bit of a difference. Your friend is correct in saying that corp style bands pay a great amount of attention to detail, more specifically in the field shows. If you sat and watched a corp style band throughout a whole game, you would notice that the stand songs are limited (maybe 4 or 5 songs) and they probably won't sound as great but the field show is very precise, clean and articulate because that's the only thing that matters to them. Who cares about the crowd?! They perform the same field show the whole season and practice is maybe an hour and a half. I like to think of corp style bands as working smarter, not harder. Musicality is the first, the last and the only. Corp style is just concert band but with a drill. On the flip side, I feel as if show style bands like NSU, don't get the credit they deserve. But there are very few show style bands that can mix the entertainment aspect with precision, clarity and musicality. As far as creating more and better musicians, I mean how can you really say? I know a ton of "better musicians" who marched/march show style, myself included...having experienced both sides of the fence, show style bands as a whole need to stop sacrificing quality for crowd pleasure and corp style bands need to stop being so ignorant towards show style bands. I hope I didn't get too off topic lol

Whoa at that creating more and better musicians comment. Great musicians come from all over, not just one particular place. Now after reading the comments to this, I had to put my two cents in. First, let me say that I march in a "corp style" band (Central Michigan Marching Chippewas). Although we do focus more on our field show than stands music, that doesn't mean we (as a corp style group) only have 4 or 5 tunes. We play a variety. Also, we learn a new show every 2 games. For us, musicality is the first, the last, but certainly not the only. Our marching technique and our traditions come after musicality, and therefore those are the only things that matter. Yes, we definitely make sure we have that crowd appeal as well; but that's not what fuels us. We'll go out there (and we have gone out there) with no student section or a home section and still put on our show like the stadium was packed. Now I do know that there are corp style bands that only do the things some have mentioned. However, not all of them. I disagree with corp style being concert band with drill. There are some corp style groups that only march brass, some groups that don't march auxilary or dancers. Not all corp style groups are the same. No band is the same. Now please don't get me wrong. I love a HBCU Band. Absolutely. I wish to have the opportunity to march with one. But my point is: not all corp style groups focus on musicality and drill. Not all corp style groups are the same.

Nice to see the diversity on the board. I was offered a grad assistantship at CMU for conducting. Thinking about taking it. 

Now, after reading your comments....im still a little confused about your thoughts on the final product of Show Style Bands vs Corp Style Bands. But then again, this is not an easy one to answer. 

For me, seems like musicality is the goal for Corp Bands while moving the body, mind and soul (with special emphasis on quality sound) is the goal for Show Style Bands. But I've never marched a lick of Corp outside of the few hybrid things NSU does. I will say that I enjoy the percussion pit and detail that some bands will go with their percussion section! Fuggn AWESOME!!!!! As far as musicians musicianship goes....I'll give the edge to Corp. They put more  detail to their musicianship in their shows and rehearsals. As far as who creates better musicians...still up in the air on this one. 

Kelsey Coleman said:

Whoa at that creating more and better musicians comment. Great musicians come from all over, not just one particular place. Now after reading the comments to this, I had to put my two cents in. First, let me say that I march in a "corp style" band (Central Michigan Marching Chippewas). Although we do focus more on our field show than stands music, that doesn't mean we (as a corp style group) only have 4 or 5 tunes. We play a variety. Also, we learn a new show every 2 games. For us, musicality is the first, the last, but certainly not the only. Our marching technique and our traditions come after musicality, and therefore those are the only things that matter. Yes, we definitely make sure we have that crowd appeal as well; but that's not what fuels us. We'll go out there (and we have gone out there) with no student section or a home section and still put on our show like the stadium was packed. Now I do know that there are corp style bands that only do the things some have mentioned. However, not all of them. I disagree with corp style being concert band with drill. There are some corp style groups that only march brass, some groups that don't march auxilary or dancers. Not all corp style groups are the same. No band is the same. Now please don't get me wrong. I love a HBCU Band. Absolutely. I wish to have the opportunity to march with one. But my point is: not all corp style groups focus on musicality and drill. Not all corp style groups are the same.

Everyone knows the best and smartest musicians are Black and Jazz musicians....Ima keep it real.

Corp styles is not entertaining & outdated. When you go to a football game you should want to be evntertained. not bored to death.......I marched corp in Highschool and I hated it and the only reason we did well is because our band Director made us aware of the Importance to do it at a high level and to show that an all Black school could get 1's every year. but we were straight corp. before Mr. Thornton got to Willowridge and it was not fun knowone was motivated or excited to go and practice that music or style......I say that black people always let White people set rules and standards for us that are rediculous....Oh and this is my view.

Has nothing to do with the style producing better musicans, it depends on A. The individual and how dedicated they are to be well rounded and great at their craft and 2. The programs that they come through.

There are garbage corps bands as well as garbage showstyle. All bands are not created equal even if they are both modeled after the same style.

Band reflects its leaders. If a director and his or her staff allows a band to go out, play with no control and put on a sloppy presentation both in the stands and on the field or even symphonically, thats on them no the style in which they choose to present and vis versa.

Not all corps style bands are detail oriented.  Not show style bands are entertaining.  And it's stupid to say that one style of marching band produces better musicians than the other.

I agree with Pv sax. I direct a high school here in Houston and my band does both styles. Neither style is better than the other. Of course i like showstyle better but i notice Corps style is actually easier. I take corps style as a challenge to work harder and teach better. The beautiful thing about band is that regardless of style, nobody tells u what u can r cant play. Its up to the director to research and find appropriate music. Ive done two Beatles shows, one Jesus Christ Superstar show and an Elton John show. Three of those shows were very entertaining. Elton John was off the chain.

All this white is right is starting to phase out mainly due to schools like USC, Michigan, Ohio state and of course DCI Madison Scouts who show both styles while entertaining crowds. I challenge some of the Hbcus to try corps style but put swag to it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service