Southern University Gold N' Bluez 2019-2020 Basketball Season

Why hasn't there been a thread made for these ladies? They are one of the best dance teams out there. 

Views: 4995

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

CONGRATULATIONS to OUR NEWLY elected MISS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY KENNDI ELISE BATISTE 2020----2021 !!!

That's amazing, congratulations to her!

honrae rokermore said:

CONGRATULATIONS to OUR NEWLY elected MISS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY KENNDI ELISE BATISTE 2020----2021 !!!

I don't think the Dolls' style is inherently boring at all. Even going back and watching old footage from DT, Seaera and April's years is still entertaining for me...and those are mostly classic (i.e. simple) counts. But with a style like the Dolls, you don't need the most complex and intricate counts, as long as you have to have the right kind of showmanship to sell it. It requires other qualities aside from the pure counts/dancing to captivate viewers. As you mentioned, KP has that quality...she was never the best dancer, but she's certainly gonna make you pay attention.

When the Dolls are at their best, what makes the show is that they have the most self-assured and confident aura about them. Best presentation (uniforms, hair and makeup). And they'll throw in little nuances that make them come off as above their opposition...even if they're not, technically, the stronger group (e.g. SU vs. ASU in 2013, when the Dolls turned their backs to the Stingettes). And what brings it all together is high-energy, exciting halftime routines, where they drop the prissiness and let you know they could beat you at your own game if they really wanted to.

The problem now is they're currently slacking in pretty much all of those areas. There's no, single quality of today's Dolls that another group isn't doing far better. IMO, they're very clearly going through an identity crisis in the YouTube era...on top of being saddled with a band director who very obviously couldn't care less about anything they're doing. It would take an extreme overhaul to get them back to the top, but I just don't see that happening under the current leadership.


TheStandJudge said:

I would have to agree! I love how technical and detailed they are and class and beauty. However,  after watching one or two videos I sometimes am like okay this is boring. Kayla MADE me watch cause she was beautiful and seductive, Dani and Jordan however made it fun to watch them though ? Cause you never knew where they were gonna take it next. I watched Micah this season and although I LOVE watching her as a power house in the back she didn't keep my attention. For me this is why Asia reigns supreme over the swac all in all. Yes she threw stands like any other captain but Asia was theatric and it was different every time. I  just wanna know what small changes you all would like to see? ??  

Brittany said:

No, I like the Dolls, but I'm not going to pretend like they have this exciting and entertaining style. I like their grace, class, and technical prowess but it's a very reserved style that can be a bit boring at times. I have seen many comments from fans and non-fans that have shared the same sentiments. 

Truth_Serum said:

They’re just not your cup of tea.  What you stated can go for any squad.  I personally think you have to have both, be gorgeous and creative.  Dani, Kayla, Asia, etc.  embodies all of it.  

Brittany said:

Either you have to have someone really captivating and Gorgeous leading ala Kayla Pittman that makes you want to watch despite it not being the most entertaining style, or you have to have an innovative leader who brings a lot of fresh and new counts during the season, ala Dani Stamper.   

TheStandJudge said:

Let me ask y'all This! I know this isn't a doll thread however , what could the dolls do to be more entertaining?? Like new uniforms on the regular ? Two new hairstyles added ?? Or is it how they throw counts? Like I feel like the captain really has to stand out and show out. Like for me the captain of the GNB is EVERYTHING!!!! My eyes go right to her and her technique is sooooo good!!

Brittany said:

I think that's why I like them better than the Dolls, they give me more Sting than Doll. But, Jordyn, Jada, and Kaylon would have been absolutely insane together. 

P.H. said:

My reservation with Jordyn is her attitude and swag, as it relates to this style, isn't as pronounced as some of the other girls such as Kennedie. Jordyn is Doll. It's a shame it didn't happen. 

Brittany said:

Ok, who is she? I don't know names like that. 

P.H. said:

I'm rooting for Kennedie.

Brittany said:

I really hope Jordyn gets captain next year!

You said everything I was thing just more detailed and I can tell you been a fan longer than I have.  That's exactly what I been trying to say as you said they are not boring but different things and certain dolls bring out that excitement that we look for.  As you said KP was not the best dancer, but she let it be known I'm the captain and I'm putting on a show and you better not take your eyes off me.  I felt the same way about Dani and Jordan watching them dance and tbh Gabby as well! I truly believe Gabby was simply "wrong time " when people expected someone else. 

I do think they trying to figure out where they fit in and how they can remain the dolls that people love and also stay relevant to the new generation and keep up with the times. They did not do anything last two seasons other teams didnt do like they didn't stand out and reign supreme as the top dance team like they are. Gabby's lead and Jordan leading and Taneria as well as the 50th was the best thing about this season . 

I for one would love for them to figure out what makes people love them and what not to change and then figure out also how to elevate to the next level FOR THEM not to compete with another team . When I say that I mean it's okay to add a new hairstyle in the mix besides the typical , it's okay to have new uniforms and still bring the classic ones that people love. 

nsuking2005 said:

I don't think the Dolls' style is inherently boring at all. Even going back and watching old footage from DT, Seaera and April's years is still entertaining for me...and those are mostly classic (i.e. simple) counts. But with a style like the Dolls, you don't need the most complex and intricate counts, as long as you have to have the right kind of showmanship to sell it. It requires other qualities aside from the pure counts/dancing to captivate viewers. As you mentioned, KP has that quality...she was never the best dancer, but she's certainly gonna make you pay attention.

When the Dolls are at their best, what makes the show is that they have the most self-assured and confident aura about them. Best presentation (uniforms, hair and makeup). And they'll throw in little nuances that make them come off as above their opposition...even if they're not, technically, the stronger group (e.g. SU vs. ASU in 2013, when the Dolls turned their backs to the Stingettes). And what brings it all together is high-energy, exciting halftime routines, where they drop the prissiness and let you know they could beat you at your own game if they really wanted to.

The problem now is they're currently slacking in pretty much all of those areas. There's no, single quality of today's Dolls that another group isn't doing far better. IMO, they're very clearly going through an identity crisis in the YouTube era...on top of being saddled with a band director who very obviously couldn't care less about anything they're doing. It would take an extreme overhaul to get them back to the top, but I just don't see that happening under the current leadership.


TheStandJudge said:

I would have to agree! I love how technical and detailed they are and class and beauty. However,  after watching one or two videos I sometimes am like okay this is boring. Kayla MADE me watch cause she was beautiful and seductive, Dani and Jordan however made it fun to watch them though ? Cause you never knew where they were gonna take it next. I watched Micah this season and although I LOVE watching her as a power house in the back she didn't keep my attention. For me this is why Asia reigns supreme over the swac all in all. Yes she threw stands like any other captain but Asia was theatric and it was different every time. I  just wanna know what small changes you all would like to see? ??  

Brittany said:

No, I like the Dolls, but I'm not going to pretend like they have this exciting and entertaining style. I like their grace, class, and technical prowess but it's a very reserved style that can be a bit boring at times. I have seen many comments from fans and non-fans that have shared the same sentiments. 

Truth_Serum said:

They’re just not your cup of tea.  What you stated can go for any squad.  I personally think you have to have both, be gorgeous and creative.  Dani, Kayla, Asia, etc.  embodies all of it.  

Brittany said:

Either you have to have someone really captivating and Gorgeous leading ala Kayla Pittman that makes you want to watch despite it not being the most entertaining style, or you have to have an innovative leader who brings a lot of fresh and new counts during the season, ala Dani Stamper.   

TheStandJudge said:

Let me ask y'all This! I know this isn't a doll thread however , what could the dolls do to be more entertaining?? Like new uniforms on the regular ? Two new hairstyles added ?? Or is it how they throw counts? Like I feel like the captain really has to stand out and show out. Like for me the captain of the GNB is EVERYTHING!!!! My eyes go right to her and her technique is sooooo good!!

Brittany said:

I think that's why I like them better than the Dolls, they give me more Sting than Doll. But, Jordyn, Jada, and Kaylon would have been absolutely insane together. 

P.H. said:

My reservation with Jordyn is her attitude and swag, as it relates to this style, isn't as pronounced as some of the other girls such as Kennedie. Jordyn is Doll. It's a shame it didn't happen. 

Brittany said:

Ok, who is she? I don't know names like that. 

P.H. said:

I'm rooting for Kennedie.

Brittany said:

I really hope Jordyn gets captain next year!

And I just happened across this video this morning that's one example of what I'm talking about. The Dolls are not gonna surpass, or even match, the Stingettes in terms of pure counts. But in appearance, halftime routine, nuances and even shade? That's where you have a battle.

These are the kinds of details the Dolls have lost over the years.

Yeah I see exactly what you mean. I think the GNBz are a match for the stingettes cause it's close to their style. However as you said in style and presence and sex appeal that is their thing and where they win.

nsuking2005 said:

And I just happened across this video this morning that's one example of what I'm talking about. The Dolls are not gonna surpass, or even match, the Stingettes in terms of pure counts. But in appearance, halftime routine, nuances and even shade? That's where you have a battle.

These are the kinds of details the Dolls have lost over the years.

I love the Stingettes, and stylistically, I think they're the trendsetters; however, I have to disagree with you when it comes to their count repertoire. The Dolls have surpassed the Stingettes in that area. It wasn't the case at the time of this video. Now, the Dolls pull rank when it comes to counts. I think they're fairly matched with the J-settes when it comes to the intricacy and quantity of their counts. There was a time when I could immediately pinpoint a new Doll count because new counts were so far and few between. We started to see that shift with Seaera, KP, and Danielle just hit it out of the park in 2017. Since then, aside from the traditional counts, I can't readily tell if what the Dolls are throwing is an old or new count. These new Doll counts aren't cutesy and simple, either--they're dramatic, grand, and intricate.  

In 2015, Asia started to steer the Stingettes in that direction, but we quickly saw it fade. Although, we've gotten new counts for the Stingettes each season since then, none of them have moved the needle, in my opinion. Asia gave 'em to us throughout the season, not just in a singular occasion. The counts from 2015 showed us intricacy, range, and versatility. The Stingettes' count book could use an overhaul. We see the same counts over and over, but they have such a flavor and sensuality in their delivery that I deal with it.

K.G. put a hurtin' on the Stingettes last year, and an even bigger hurtin' on the Dolls this year. Dolls and Stingettes will have to step it up a bit. Although I don't think it was a lack of material for the Dolls, they were just underprepared because K.G. wanted ALL of the smoke. The Stingettes, it was a lack of material. If their book is so deep, they need to dig in it more and use ALL of it. 

nsuking2005 said:

And I just happened across this video this morning that's one example of what I'm talking about. The Dolls are not gonna surpass, or even match, the Stingettes in terms of pure counts. But in appearance, halftime routine, nuances and even shade? That's where you have a battle.

These are the kinds of details the Dolls have lost over the years.

This video supports my views on the Dolls and Stingettes when it comes to counts and style. Danielle is doing Doll material; however, arguably, her delivery is what we're accustomed to seeing from the Stingettes. The Stingette style is every woman, per se, so I get it. Brianni took style. Danielle took counts. The Dolls' countbook is deep, but it's also creative and intricate now.

See, I disagree in that I feel like this just reaffirms my point. lol

I do agree with you that the Dolls' counts have gotten more intricate and complex over the more recent seasons. But I also feel like, if their goal is to modernize by way of making more complex counts (which is perfectly fine, but again, I don't believe is necessary), then that puts them in a position where they're still just catching up to groups like the Stingettes and J-Settes.

Personally, I found them both great in count selection, with a slight edge towards Brianni. But that Danielle's execution did have a Stingette feel, just speaks to my point of the Dolls having an identity crisis...which, coincidentally, started with her run as captain. So, it's like...not only do the Stings have a better count book (even if the Dolls are closing that gap), but they're more solid and firm in their identity and style. The Dolls' execution has been so uncertain and all over the place over the last few years that I just don't really know what I'm looking at with them anymore.

P.H. said:

This video supports my views on the Dolls and Stingettes when it comes to counts and style. Danielle is doing Doll material; however, arguably, her delivery is what we're accustomed to seeing from the Stingettes. The Stingette style is every woman, per se, so I get it. Brianni took style. Danielle took counts. The Dolls' countbook is deep, but it's also creative and intricate now.

what is jonas dance training background? what did he get his dance training from?

I agree with the identity crisis for the Dolls because there seems to be 3 different kinds of Doll style and the dancers on the current squad are different variations of those styles. The classic Doll, the Milky Doll (April & Kayla), and The Sting Doll (Danielle). Kaylon and Arianna give me milky era doll, Jada, Taneria, Gabby, Micah, Lindsey, and Cam give me Dani era Doll. Arielle and Jordan give me classic Doll. 

nsuking2005 said:

See, I disagree in that I feel like this just reaffirms my point. lol

I do agree with you that the Dolls' counts have gotten more intricate and complex over the more recent seasons. But I also feel like, if their goal is to modernize by way of making more complex counts (which is perfectly fine, but again, I don't believe is necessary), then that puts them in a position where they're still just catching up to groups like the Stingettes and J-Settes.

Personally, I found them both great in count selection, with a slight edge towards Brianni. But that Danielle's execution did have a Stingette feel, just speaks to my point of the Dolls having an identity crisis...which, coincidentally, started with her run as captain. So, it's like...not only do the Stings have a better count book (even if the Dolls are closing that gap), but they're more solid and firm in their identity and style. The Dolls' execution has been so uncertain and all over the place over the last few years that I just don't really know what I'm looking at with them anymore.

P.H. said:

This video supports my views on the Dolls and Stingettes when it comes to counts and style. Danielle is doing Doll material; however, arguably, her delivery is what we're accustomed to seeing from the Stingettes. The Stingette style is every woman, per se, so I get it. Brianni took style. Danielle took counts. The Dolls' countbook is deep, but it's also creative and intricate now.

Y’all are reaching reaching . The whole Sting Doll is a stretch. The styles look completely different and it was evident in that video and all of the HBCU dance affair videos. I love the Sting but the they haven’t had that kind of impact. Did the Dolls style evolve to an slightly edgier movement... yes. That’s the only similarity, the movement and execution is completely different. Sting Doll my ass. Lol

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service