PENDING BANDS:
O.P. WALKER HIGH
CENTRAL HIGH (BEAUMONT, TX.)

FOR MORE INFORMATION AND LIMITED $10.00 TICKETS VISIT

WWW.HUMANJUKEBOXBOTB.COM

Views: 10108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks everyone for y'all opinions. Points well taken. We feel like we are still in a building process. Our plan was and still is to get better every year using baby steps. LOL! Those 6th, 7th, and 8th graders are our future. Like the old saying goes "You can't rush perfection" The biggest compliment we received that night was on the audio portion from J-State former BD which stated that the band has made great improvements from when he saw the band a few years ago. Baker did their thing and we respect it and them. Good job Baker!

Ass. BD St. Aug Marching 100

LOL This is too .. funny. First, I see some people who aren't even near qualified to speak on what a MARCHING band should look or sound like, speaking non-sense. Being that you A) don't have a certified Music Education Degree from an accredited college or university, B) you never marched in a band that exemplified hardcore intense drilling or sound at its best, and C) SOME of you never made the cuts AFTER being invited to make the actual MARCHING band.

Secondly, coming from someone who has no affiliation with New Orleans or Baton Rouge schools, (not a certified music educator, but have helped several bands progress their field performances along the way with things I picked up and learned from the late Mr. Knighten, Mr. Jackson, Mr. Haymer and have also studied some St. Aug performances as well) I must say that keeping an unbiased opinion Baker had the better ALL AROUND SHOW!  

1. Thier percision was almost closed to perfect. Every snap, knee lift and step hit 2, 4, 6 and 8 when it was suppose to. Stopping exactly on 1, 3, 5 and 7. This band hardly missed a beat on the field.

2. When they incorporated their "own" style and being creative i.e, stopping the drill to format a conversion AND stop marching to start marching again ... EVERYONE knew what to do. There were no if ands or buts about it.

3. They didn't have the best sound on the field, hell none of those hs did ... in fact as the weather dropped SU was a lil shacky at times, BUT Baker had the better sound quality, phrasing, DYNAMICS and personal choice of drill tunes that flowed perfectly with the drills. 

Now, St. Aug was not bad at all and always surprise me as a high school band. I wouldn't necessarily call them boring, more so, not as entertaining on the field as some. They were very original and I give them 100 pts for that, BUT you have to keep it clean. Anyone can get out there and do something no one has seen before, but will it be clean to the eye of a perfectionist who can spot an alignment problem a mile away. The marching is not what it used to be and they don't give you that military swag coming down the field anymore. The percision was a tad lazy and off while having some kids in the very front of the band marching an extra 16 counts in place while everyone else is at attention (then everyone wasn't at attention all of the time). But as stated already, its a work in progress.

I commend all those who showed up; 1st place to particiaption, because some bands hate to come to field competitions. These are kids and we must not let our personal pride, anger or hate towards other adults blind us from that. More hs band directors should grace the marching band world with all around marching bands from the stands to the field and even in the "streets". You cannot claim W's by not being that all around band.  

AND P.S. A band unifomrmity has nothing to do with the actual uniform. Hell Mr. Haymer won SEVERAL first place botb's wearing travel suits. Its a couple bands out there that had on actual uniforms and looked terrible (pants sagging, threads hanging out, hats falliing to the side, featthers missing, spats missing, shoes dirty ... the list could go on)

man i dont kno if anybody else agrees but someschools did way better than what the judges gave them

im not being bias but im pretty sure we deserved at least second i field show was just ..just good.

There's no need for a music degree to discuss the technical abilities of marching bands.  but there are many people who are on here talking as if they were superior on all levels when they clearly were not according to what i witnessed.

The bands may not compare historically, but when you have a guy like Kedric Taylor whose built a reputation on having good band programs, especially bringing baker back to large band status. it's amazing,  There's no need to beef about it. Baker / StAug isn't even a rivalry but this battle is proof that N.O's competition isn't their own bands.  
Baton Rouge has been running things while many N.O bands are idle

lol at all of these "unbiased" opinions stating the band they support should have been crowned.

Mck b tones should be the last people to say something on bandhead
Mck baritones said:

im not being bias but im pretty sure we deserved at least second i field show was just ..just good.

LMAO St. Martinville has never and will never smash scotlandville idk what video you were watching but you got that allll the way mixed up.

Travis Hayes said:

Yea that's right when walker came they smashed da dirty I n the parking lot st aug didn't throw none of they power songs and smashed baker parade season mcmain smashed scotlandvillle and even in Lafayette st martinville was smashing scotlandvillle at the queens parade so they formed sod just to hang with smu
Who botb this sat baker or istrouma

Istrouma is the 11th

Baker the 17th

Damn I thought it would have been sat but thanks Bro

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Marchingsport.com.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service