SU Dancing Dolls 2019-2020 Captain will be...

Ok Dolls Fans.

Who do you all think will get the SU doll captain position OR who do you all think deserves the spot?

My First pick would be Taneria and my Second pick would be Jada or Kaylon! However, we all know that the band director has a history of picking the least speculated person. 

What's yall opinion?

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Votes: 0

Replies

• In my honest opinion I truly believe that Gabby will become captain again if she returns for her 4th rip. Now if she doesn't my pick will be either Taneria or Taylor. 

• i think the next captain is micah! 

• Teaneri or JADA
  • I doubt that Gabby returns for a second rip, but if she does, I wouldn't mind her taking a second reign as Captain. 

Aside from Gabby, the competition for Captain is gonna be TIGHT this upcoming season.  I love Taneria's fieldwork and energy, but she was a bit much in the stands at certain games this season.  Jada is PERFECTION. Has all the presence. Knows when the camera is on her. Regal as ever. Probably have never come across a new era Doll as regal (besides Gabby) since Brittany Beal.  She knows the old school form and masters the new form. That smile.  I think she has enough of the Doll style in her blood to where she can lead and be innovative and have it still look and feel like Dolls.  This is where I'm a little nervous with Taneria.  

Now, Micah could also be a strong contender.  She's very classic in form, and it seems most of her favorite counts are traditional (even though they've watered that "running" count down so bad I don't even like it anymore). Not to mention the benefit of having a fashion designer of a mother.  She's strong on the field, has a great presence and confidence about herself, and is pretty unassuming in terms of what her count delivery could look like. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Dolls rolled out 5-6 new uniforms under Micah as Captain. 

My Preferred Picks: 

(?) Gabby (if she returns) 

(1) Jada

(2) Micah

(3) Taneria 

Regardless of who gets it, the stands will be great and continue to evolve, and that amazing fieldwork should only get better from what Gabby seems to have effortlessly restored this past season. 

I will say, though, that I want an 8-9 girl squad.  Those small numbers kept the shine on every girl in the stands and they were able to cover ground and dance bigger on the field. Smaller numbers work for Dolls. 

• Great summation Su architecture, I agree with YOUR rankings of CAPTAIN'S, BUT WE NEED A BIG SQUAD FOR A, BIG BAND SOUND FOR OUR 50TH DOLL ANNIVERSARY JUBILEE!!!! BIG TYME, no small stuff HERE !
  • I have the same thoughts SUarchitect. Although I wouldn't put Jada over the '16 contenders if they return. But I get it! Jada definitely has the talent(not necessarily the strongest dancer on the team but she definitely is solid. Reminds me of KP in that aspect but stronger), aesthetic, and that "je n'ais se quoi." & tbh, I still go back and forth between her & Kaylon for captain when their time comes. I know they'll be a dynamic duo in leadership regardless of who is actually at the helm. I'd just hate to see a repeat of last year's uproar of Gabby getting captain over '15. Although it remains to be seen what the actual happenings were which rolled that out and I'll leave it there. Whew chile, let's move forward. I do hope to see '16 return & have another crab class hit all 4 years together. We shall see what transpires tho... If Gabby returns as captain, I would LOVE & NEED her to have a co-captain to break up her monotony. 

But I want to know what your thoughts are on who will even be on the team before we call captain! Hell we are lucky to even see the ladies have a chance to return. And I hate that is what the Doll experience has become for these young ladies. I'm hoping Akai and the new director run a smoother tryout process. So what's up with Cam being MIA this off season and are there any incoming prospects on you guys' radar?

I'd like to see them at 9 Dolls. But IF everyone returns, that only leaves room for 1 crab. So for the sake of continuity and with '16 leaving next year(if any of them aren't already done...), and the last 2 crab classes having only 2 girls each, I could see a 9-11 member squad. 

• Gabby returning as captain wouldn't be the worst thing, but I'm entirely good on the prospect, mostly because I just want a break from 2-year captains. At least for one season. lol Also, there were very few points where I ever truly bought into Gabby as captain...for me, she never gave off the impression that she truly believed she belonged in that spot. The main advantage to her getting a 2nd year is she might gain the confidence to loosen up and complete her movements better, but really...I'm good on another 2-year captain for the time being. lol

I've also largely soured on Taneria after watching most all of her great qualities deteriorate over the course of this last season. She came out of the gate trying WAY too hard, and then became formless and stiff in the stands, and her performance on the field by the Bayou Classic was lowkey painful. Maybe she can tighten it back up and remind me why she was my favorite for her first 2 seasons if she were to get captain, but...meh.

The only '16 Doll I can see it for as captain is Micah. Her main drawback is she's not consistent, but when she's on, that woman is ON. And I think putting her up front would force her to be on far more often.

I think that they can skip over '16 and look at '17 for next season. Not sure how popular this would be, but I kinda feel like they should have Jada & Kaylon co-lead (similar to Kiki & Michelle back in '99). They complement each other well and each have what the other lacks. Jada has a more convincing and compelling presence that's made to be up front, but Kaylon is far better as pure dancer and, while more in the pocket, she's very consistent. I could go either way between the two of them, but of all the options available, I just see a co-captain scenario between Jada & Kaylon being most ideal.

Also, I completely agree with SU Architect on the number. 2018 solidified for me that 11 Dolls is too many. 7-10 is a range I think they should always intentionally stick to. The Dolls just work better as a smaller group.

• I hope THAT the CAPTAIN from McKinley and the captain from Scotlandville makes the squad with another spot open
    WE should never lower our standards for the sake of UNIFORMS, we should HAVE a in house seamstress or UNIFORM person to keep them BATTLE READY! Plus the DOLLS dont need any scandals like what is happening with THE admissions process at other school , then it would BECOME unethically FAIR TO OTHER POTENTIALS.
  • The only dancer that has my eye for Dolls this upcoming season is Brianni from McK. I just really hope she is able to switch out of Pantherette mode and soften it up for Dolls. She's shown that she can with Starlettes for parade season, but I want a Doll vibe from Dolls. Plus, I think Taylor made it Crystal clear what he prefers in terms of styling from his Doll lines this past season.   Pantherettes are amazing. But that doesn't need to cross over into Doll land.  Besides Brianni, do y'all see anybody else that could be strong contenders for the squad? 

Sidenote: I HATE that Southern Lab and Scotlandville's dancelines have switched up their styles for what's "trendy".  They best embodied the Doll style, but can never seem to break a Doll in tryouts. Starlettes used to be more true to Doll form also, but ... "Trendy"   

HeartOfADancer said:

I have the same thoughts SUarchitect. Although I wouldn't put Jada over the '16 contenders if they return. But I get it! Jada definitely has the talent(not necessarily the strongest dancer on the team but she definitely is solid. Reminds me of KP in that aspect but stronger), aesthetic, and that "je n'ais se quoi." & tbh, I still go back and forth between her & Kaylon for captain when their time comes. I know they'll be a dynamic duo in leadership regardless of who is actually at the helm. I'd just hate to see a repeat of last year's uproar of Gabby getting captain over '15. Although it remains to be seen what the actual happenings were which rolled that out and I'll leave it there. Whew chile, let's move forward. I do hope to see '16 return & have another crab class hit all 4 years together. We shall see what transpires tho... If Gabby returns as captain, I would LOVE & NEED her to have a co-captain to break up her monotony. 

But I want to know what your thoughts are on who will even be on the team before we call captain! Hell we are lucky to even see the ladies have a chance to return. And I hate that is what the Doll experience has become for these young ladies. I'm hoping Akai and the new director run a smoother tryout process. So what's up with Cam being MIA this off season and are there any incoming prospects on you guys' radar?

I'd like to see them at 9 Dolls. But IF everyone returns, that only leaves room for 1 crab. So for the sake of continuity and with '16 leaving next year(if any of them aren't already done...), and the last 2 crab classes having only 2 girls each, I could see a 9-11 member squad. 

SU Dancing Dolls 2019-2020 Captain will be...
    Ok Dolls Fans. Who do you all think will get the SU doll captain position OR who do you all think deserves the spot? My First pick would be Taneria…
  • I’m fine with Gabby if she were to return. The SWAC championship was a great showing for her and the rest of the squad.
    If she weren’t to return, I’d have to skip ‘16 and give it to ‘17. Here’s my reasoning based on each girl:

Taneria— tried way too hard to be the “it” girl. Idk if the clout got to her head or what, but she was way too extra for me.
    Micah— would do well, but if I’m being honest, I don’t think of her when I think about the Dolls. From a marketing perspective, I’d pass.
    Taylor—I loveeee me some Taylor, but you can tell that she is more of a team player and likes to stay in her lane. I can see her coming into the doll room not listening just to look up and say “huh” when somebody say her name. (All jokes)

Jada and Kaylon are the perfect duo. I’d put Jada up front though because her form is immaculate and she has that KP “it” factor. She can sell anything with the amount of charisma and talent she has.

One final thing for this upcoming season though. Make all the leg extensions uniform. Either everyone gets on Taneria’s level or go with one like Gabby’s (which I prefer). Having all of these angles doesn’t bring uniformity and makes some girls look stiff when really some are just doing the most. That is all.

PS: I’m assuming Kam hasn’t been dancing bc of grades. If so, I hope she has a successful semester so she can get back to it.
This reply was deleted.