Southern University Fabulous Dancing Dolls Highlights

Views: 10467

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

i actually like the variety and more diverse looks of todays dolls~!

LMAO! They gonna get you for not considering their favs glamorous or devastating beautiful! But it is what it is. 

louisianaboi08 said:

Well you cant bring back Glam if the girls that are trying out aren't glamorous, and the glam girls aren't making it due to them not being able to do a simple turn lol.Classy? umm they are still that, but actually dance as if its a new decade versus an old one... The dolls are actually picking talent versus looks nowadays, The pretty girls at Southern aren't the good dancers anymore like how it was back in the day! I've seen drop dead gorgeous girls with real  hair to their ass walk in for tryouts and come out crying with their heads down.  Def not calling anybody or any of the girls ugly because they are very much pretty. I'm just saying its a whoooolllleee new generation of dancers, than it was years ago. You can def kiss that goodbye because that is never coming back when it comes to "Glam" the closest we go to that was 2013 and 2015 and even then they still couldn't or wouldn't hold a candle to the 90s. Some of yall need to let it go because as much as certain people want it to come back its not and thats just being real, step into reality for a sec. . Its a different generation, hell the jsettes and stingettes arent even the same as they were back then. New generation.

DancingBear said:

I think the Dolls need to bring "classy" back in 2020. I saw them in the "Lizzo" video, all I can say is "no comment." Bring back the glam squad and the "wow factor" that lived and thrived doing the Greggs era! That's my .002 cents.

Hmmm....couple things (well, more than a couple lol)...

Alumni and it being the 50th really saved this season, because it was a snoozefest at points where we should've been wowed, if not by the dancing then at least by their looks. I put alot of the blame on Akai, though. When she revealed that she designed some of them ugly new uniforms from last year and this year, I knew, then, we were dealing with a dictator who has questionable tastes (Sis gotta chill next season. Instead of Debo-ing everybody from taking up close photos because of the wig situations--try actually getting these hair hats in order so you won't have to worry so much. Also, what's with the counting them off wrong on the field like they're in high school? Girl, move). Now, the "cute, but ill-fitting white/gold one" at Bayou BOTB and the white, Boombox uni(sans cape", were okay, but could've been made to look more luxurious rather than catalog. They need to relieve Jolie of her duties and find a seamstress who can make quality pieces. That yellow one from Bayou was UGG-LEE, and ill-fitting, also.

I'm just gonna say it...Micah only got captain 'cause of her mother. It's speculation, but girls have bought a spot or quid pro quo'd their way onto the team before, so it's not out of the realm of possibilities. IMO, she should've been right in the back dancing in line instead of leading (felt the same way about Gabby, but oh well). I knew Jordan wasn't returning as a captain, but someone else should've led this team or some of them could've rotated throughout the season. Micah was unsure many times, and just threw any ole count that popped into her head. Don't get me started on the constant dance sequences.

Now, I know the Dolls/southern don't have that big of a budget (it's painstakingly obvious now), but at least look like you do. These wigs, these wigs, THESE WIGS...please get that in check, Dolls! I don't care for them, but if they're properly and securely installed, looks natural, and doesn't look all dry and brittle, then I can't knock 'em.

Micah had a great team (dancing wise), but I wouldn't be sad if Arianna and Airelle didn't return next season. They just had too many mistakes, and Airelle dances really awkward and loses her form at times. Also, they have got to keep these bodies up. As athletic as some of these girls are, and as hard as they all practice, there should be no flab or drastic weight gains during the season.

IT'S TIME TO FUNDRAISE/SEEK SPONSORSHIPS! Dolls are held to a higher standard, so there's no reason we should be seeing the same darn uniforms year after year after year after year after year.

Another bone I have to pick is the creation of these new, ugly arse counts!!!!!! Danielle laid the blueprint in 2017 for the next generation, and they didn't need to stray far from that style like they did in 18 and 19. Keep these catchons Doll-like, and chill on the stand creativity for now, because Dolls have a vast count book, and older counts need to be brought back. Quite a few counts looked like some shit the Divas would do when they remix Stingette and Doll counts, and I 'on't like det!

They had some GREAT music to dance to this season! Sis just didn't know what she was doing. LOL

BandJunkee said:

I really think Micah did a great job. I hate to say this, but the music was lackluster compared to 2017. I think this hindered Micah from knocking it out the park. She and her team had the new counts and the bomb fieldshows, in spite of. 

In some cases, I did see Akai give Micah orders, so this could have “watered down” Micah’s reign, as well. If this is true, then I would love to understand Akai’s reasoning. Since 2016, the Dolls have been IT, but after 2017, they’ve kinda hit a plateau. 

You better come on to the light, Jada! 

This is what bothers me... Haymer is not there anymore, but reports are saying he took over $200,000 dollars..IDK if he did or did not... My point is SU band has money CLEARLY, it is not  trickling down to the Dolls..But to say the program does not have money is Crazy.. Parades,Botb, SU band is paid a fee.. Going to LA was not cheap.. But the band went... They raised a lot of money for that trip. So if the Dolls wanted 4 to 5 uniforms a year it could be done....

Another thing that bothers me is.. I don't understand why the forever dolls did not donate the uniforms to the dolls closet..You have a former SU band member in Tye, that did the uniforms for the 50th...Yet we got that crap for the Bayou...Clearly that is something wrong there.

Akai is perfect for the Dolls. Would I have bragged about he uniform designs? Probably not.  But she is necessary.  The mess you saw on other lines didn't happen this season, and that's because of Akai. She made the girls separate themselves from their dance identities on social media, even though the crazed fans still drug their personal lives into social media.  She shouldn't be the media police though.  That's something they need to fix moving forward. 

I'm not discussing what does on behind the Doll doors, because why? Nobody can confirm anything outside of rumors.  I would have preferred Gabbys second rip over this season, but Micah wasn't exactly bad.  Bland? Yes. But I'm not dragging her for a bland season.  It's stupid. And its also already Spring lol 

Bayou leo was not necessarily a bad uniform, just very loud in color and overwhelming with the sleeve and back overlay.  If they went old gold with the color on a navy or Columbia blue undertone, it would have been gorgeous (minus the ruffled sleeve).

In terms of budget, the band should have money to provide uniforms for the Dolls. But we don't know how much this trip to CA cost.  It's easily over $400k to fly and house 275 ppl to California for three days. They got three new uniforms this season. Regardless of whether we liked them or not. We've had MUCH worse luck in terms of new uniforms in previous seasons, ijs.  Dannies 17 Bayou wasn't cute either. 

At this point, the Dolls need touched up closet numbers, reintroduced favorites, and new uniforms added to the closet.  

I am definitely a fan of the more natural looking Dolls. Less makeup. Natural looking hair. However, there's no budget for their hair or makeup, so I think it's unfair to hold the girls to certain hair standards when they pay for it themselves.  I'm just definitely not a fan of wiggy. Better collaboration with older Dolls can definitely help with hair. 

And Arielle is THAT doll. The choreo queen. Arielle was untouchable on that field this season.  Her form does need work on some of the stands, but no more or less that some other Dolls. Ijs.  Arielle is one of the most naturally gorgeous girls on the line, from makeup to hair. She is definitely one to watch next season. 

There's a clear disconnect in the uniforms that's really boggling my mind because, not only were all of the Forever Dolls' unis flames, but it was said the designer worked at a more than reasonable price. Maybe it's just because Micah's mother is a seamstress and Akai just wanted to work through her, but homecoming really highlighted how there's a bureaucracy around the uniforms and it's a problem.

The active Dolls are dancing in repeat uniforms that aren't well-maintained and are falling apart at the seams, on top of spotty-at-best output when we do get the rare new uniform. So, it just makes no sense to me that alumni just came in for one day and gave us everything with uniforms that we've been missing for the last 5 or 6 years. What is going on down in Scottlandville? lol

xavier said:

This is what bothers me... Haymer is not there anymore, but reports are saying he took over $200,000 dollars..IDK if he did or did not... My point is SU band has money CLEARLY, it is not  trickling down to the Dolls..But to say the program does not have money is Crazy.. Parades,Botb, SU band is paid a fee.. Going to LA was not cheap.. But the band went... They raised a lot of money for that trip. So if the Dolls wanted 4 to 5 uniforms a year it could be done....

Another thing that bothers me is.. I don't understand why the forever dolls did not donate the uniforms to the dolls closet..You have a former SU band member in Tye, that did the uniforms for the 50th...Yet we got that crap for the Bayou...Clearly that is something wrong there.

Micah was just ok for me! I want a smaller line next season 8-10 squad! I hope the field shows gets even better! kaylon will likely be co-captain since she is a nursing major! I think next season will be better than this past season. Arielle had training from the Alvin Ailey Dance School, she is a beautiful and amazing dancer! Camryn did an amazing job this year as well, her form has gotten so much better and she is shutting the haters up! I think the Doc look era dolls are long gone and we as fans are just going to accept how things are from the dolls everything from makeup to stands and fields. There are stronger and weaker seasons!

I agree with the smaller lines.  We've visually been under 10 since Stamper, when you consider Taneria didn't touch the field last season which put field numbers at 9 and Gabby's year there were 8.  They look good when they are under 10. 

And I'm not sure what ppl mean when they say the Doc era look is gone.  Gabby (if she was at least 5'5), Jada, and Arielle would fit in PERFECTLY with the Doc era Dolls.  The looks of the squad aren't the issue, I think it could be the hair.  April did a great job of making the hair look very natural in 2013.  Jada looked her best this season strutting into Vets Memorial in her cape with that freak silk press. Lol.   The looks are there.  

Jarrett Goer said:

Micah was just ok for me! I want a smaller line next season 8-10 squad! I hope the field shows gets even better! kaylon will likely be co-captain since she is a nursing major! I think next season will be better than this past season. Arielle had training from the Alvin Ailey Dance School, she is a beautiful and amazing dancer! Camryn did an amazing job this year as well, her form has gotten so much better and she is shutting the haters up! I think the Doc look era dolls are long gone and we as fans are just going to accept how things are from the dolls everything from makeup to stands and fields. There are stronger and weaker seasons!

Does ANYBODY KNOW IF THE DOLLS will MARCH in any upcoming PARADES for MARDI GRAS, IF so when???

I agree...this issue isn't appearance at ALL. The bulk of these girls could fit in perfectly fine with Doc era Dolls. The problem is there isn't the same level of detail or care put into their presentation. The uniforms, hair and makeup all very clearly get less attention now than they did in years past.

For me, it's not about needing to see the Doc era return (because frankly, even for as much as we loved them, the Dolls had their flaws even back then). But very little about today's squad is an improvement on what we've seen from past eras. They're just resting on legacy rather than actually building on it in a way that feels like an upgrade. And on top of that, they're getting eclipsed by several other squads. The Dolls are no longer the "IT" danceline. They're just...there.

And it's sad that they're not getting the conditioning and detailing that they need because the overall ability of this group is probably as strong as it's ever been.

SUarchitect said:

I agree with the smaller lines.  We've visually been under 10 since Stamper, when you consider Taneria didn't touch the field last season which put field numbers at 9 and Gabby's year there were 8.  They look good when they are under 10. 

And I'm not sure what ppl mean when they say the Doc era look is gone.  Gabby (if she was at least 5'5), Jada, and Arielle would fit in PERFECTLY with the Doc era Dolls.  The looks of the squad aren't the issue, I think it could be the hair.  April did a great job of making the hair look very natural in 2013.  Jada looked her best this season strutting into Vets Memorial in her cape with that freak silk press. Lol.   The looks are there.  

Jarrett Goer said:

RSS

© 2020   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service