Southern University Fabulous Dancing Dolls Highlights

Views: 10459

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I actually don't need much more from the Doc era because they've now kept the standard (field work) very strong over the past two seasons.  Theres a certain polish and refinement that I would love to see return, but that honestly can only be done with more collaboration with the Forever Dolls.  Not necessarily the choreo itself, but the attitudes, hand placement, smoothing out some of the catchons.  It's literally just details. 

I truly think next season is going to bring some exciting fieldwork. I would loooooove to see them collaborate with Kristi V next season though. She has that perfect blend of sass and finesse. A powerhouse dancer with a very keen eye for detail and nuance. Even at Homecoming!  That strut was all shoulder and hip and less arms and legs, even her runoff for Homecoming had a flair to it. Not to mention the clinic she could run with them before the season begins. Shes the freakin CHAIR of the Dance Dept at NC Central!  DETAIL is what separates the Dolls. The creativity is there, the detail is lacking a bit now. 

Hair I'm not so worried about, between April, Akai, and Stamper, they can get that hair together.  But this closet needs some work.  Even if it's touchups of current Leo's.  I do not want to see Gold Skirt this season (I refuse to call that uniform Gold Beyonce because it was introduced in 1993).  And I'm ready for some edge in the uniforms.  Still very Doll, but daring.  Gimme a cutout or a French.  The uniforms are so safe now.  These middle school leotard cuts IMO also dull their presentation.  The mystique is back (although ppl hate it) although Micah did poorly with it, creativity on 100. Take it up a notch with the uniforms and that field work.  

Keep us guessing next season! 

nsuking2005 said:

I agree...this issue isn't appearance at ALL. The bulk of these girls could fit in perfectly fine with Doc era Dolls. The problem is there isn't the same level of detail or care put into their presentation. The uniforms, hair and makeup all very clearly get less attention now than they did in years past.

For me, it's not about needing to see the Doc era return (because frankly, even for as much as we loved them, the Dolls had their flaws even back then). But very little about today's squad is an improvement on what we've seen from past eras. They're just resting on legacy rather than actually building on it in a way that feels like an upgrade. And on top of that, they're getting eclipsed by several other squads. The Dolls are no longer the "IT" danceline. They're just...there.

And it's sad that they're not getting the conditioning and detailing that they need because the overall ability of this group is probably as strong as it's ever been.

SUarchitect said:

I agree with the smaller lines.  We've visually been under 10 since Stamper, when you consider Taneria didn't touch the field last season which put field numbers at 9 and Gabby's year there were 8.  They look good when they are under 10. 

And I'm not sure what ppl mean when they say the Doc era look is gone.  Gabby (if she was at least 5'5), Jada, and Arielle would fit in PERFECTLY with the Doc era Dolls.  The looks of the squad aren't the issue, I think it could be the hair.  April did a great job of making the hair look very natural in 2013.  Jada looked her best this season strutting into Vets Memorial in her cape with that freak silk press. Lol.   The looks are there.  

Jarrett Goer said:

Micah was just ok for me! I want a smaller line next season 8-10 squad! I hope the field shows gets even better! kaylon will likely be co-captain since she is a nursing major! I think next season will be better than this past season. Arielle had training from the Alvin Ailey Dance School, she is a beautiful and amazing dancer! Camryn did an amazing job this year as well, her form has gotten so much better and she is shutting the haters up! I think the Doc look era dolls are long gone and we as fans are just going to accept how things are from the dolls everything from makeup to stands and fields. There are stronger and weaker seasons!

Gabby's side of her reign as capt!:

This interview was so insightful. What a poised and gracious young woman Gabby is. She endured a lot her captain season. My apologies to Gabby, for labeling her boring last season, because it all makes sense now. Bravo to Gabby for persevering through all of the obstacles and coming out on top. Shout out to my boo Morgan for an amazing interview. 

justDANCE said:

I watched the interview last night and enjoyed it. It was actually really interesting to get the insight into how Gabby put those great field routines together. It was also cute to learn why we got that extended run of white uniforms her season lol

I've had my gripes and critiques, but I do find myself appreciating a lot about her captain run more as time has gone on.

justDANCE said:

I think most of us can agree we really, really , REALLY! Wanted Jordan or I can assume one of 15 to lead after Dani. I firmly believe it was simply wrong time that made people so upset with Gabby. Including myself which I'm disappointed in cause I usually go for the underdog! Also I did not want her as a second year captain and idk why now that I look back. Cause I definetly believe we would of had a better season than what we got this past season.  

nsuking2005 said:

I watched the interview last night and enjoyed it. It was actually really interesting to get the insight into how Gabby put those great field routines together. It was also cute to learn why we got that extended run of white uniforms her season lol

I've had my gripes and critiques, but I do find myself appreciating a lot about her captain run more as time has gone on.

justDANCE said:

I was team Gabby from the beginning! Her reign will not be forgotten, it was clear and obvious she was a stronger leader because ‘19 was wack. And I’m glad she was able to confirm that the some of the atrocious uniforms to doll date were designed by Akai. Lol

justDANCE said:

I enjoyed her reign as well. I thought the interview was great. I think that it cleared up a lot of things and a lot of rumors that were untrue. It was also great to put some of the pieces together in how she went about envisioning her field shows and entrances. I would've liked another year of Gabby, but I always support no matter what. I'm glad that she held her head high and did not give up, even though I know she was disappointed at not returning as captain for her last rip. She's definitely grounded in her faith and that alone will take her so far in life. I wish her the best.

Peachyp said:

I was team Gabby from the beginning! Her reign will not be forgotten, it was clear and obvious she was a stronger leader because ‘19 was wack. And I’m glad she was able to confirm that the some of the atrocious uniforms to doll date were designed by Akai. Lol

justDANCE said:

You sure were!!!!! LOL. Don’t do Akai and her legendary designs, LMAO. 

Peachyp said:

justDANCE said:

LOL. I will say though that the buns at homecoming made the "cinderella" looking costume look much better.

Mehgan James said:

You sure were!!!!! LOL. Don’t do Akai and her legendary designs, LMAO. 

Peachyp said:

justDANCE said:

Well, I'm definitely not one of those fans...I was never Team Jordan (and I'm still not, to this day lol). While I don't know what thought process Taylor had for picking Gabby as captain over Jordan, it was a decision I fully support. In an era of strangely stiff Dolls, Jordan's form has always been especially atrocious and just isn't something I had any interest in seeing up front. If y'all were able to enjoy her as a Doll, that's great for you. It just really wasn't for me. lol

But regardless of how anyone feels about the decision, I think the fact that the Dani/Jordan stans were so beholden to that continuation, combined with how Jordan responded to Taylor's decision by taking her ball and going home, all came down as a sea of hate on Gabby and it was absolutely unfair. While Gabby wasn't everything for me, I commend her ability to power through all the hate and give us a solid season.

And I've actually grown to really like the metal blue Bayou Classic uni...them bringing it back with the buns at Homecoming last season sold me. I don't see this growth repeating itself with last year's yellow Bayou uniforms, however...those can stay in the closet forever. lol

TheStandJudge said:

I think most of us can agree we really, really , REALLY! Wanted Jordan or I can assume one of 15 to lead after Dani. I firmly believe it was simply wrong time that made people so upset with Gabby. Including myself which I'm disappointed in cause I usually go for the underdog! Also I did not want her as a second year captain and idk why now that I look back. Cause I definetly believe we would of had a better season than what we got this past season.  

nsuking2005 said:

justDANCE said:

Tbh for me Tailyn was my first pick. I thought Tailyn was everything and gave me KP. I love Tailyn sex appeal and her beautiful smile she has and she always gave bodyyy. However, I like how expressive Jordan was and the high energy that she had. Micah had high energy from the back but I honestly felt like she gave me nothing this season. Even though Gabby season was not bad or terrible it also was not one of my favorites either.  I thought she killed buy you a drank and later on in the season she really showed out.

You don't think the Yellow uniform from this season can be fixed?? Lol just remade a little bit??? Add a little this and a little that??? Or be gone with the uniform ??

nsuking2005 said:

Well, I'm definitely not one of those fans...I was never Team Jordan (and I'm still not, to this day lol). While I don't know what thought process Taylor had for picking Gabby as captain over Jordan, it was a decision I fully support. In an era of strangely stiff Dolls, Jordan's form has always been especially atrocious and just isn't something I had any interest in seeing up front. If y'all were able to enjoy her as a Doll, that's great for you. It just really wasn't for me. lol

But regardless of how anyone feels about the decision, I think the fact that the Dani/Jordan stans were so beholden to that continuation, combined with how Jordan responded to Taylor's decision by taking her ball and going home, all came down as a sea of hate on Gabby and it was absolutely unfair. While Gabby wasn't everything for me, I commend her ability to power through all the hate and give us a solid season.

And I've actually grown to really like the metal blue Bayou Classic uni...them bringing it back with the buns at Homecoming last season sold me. I don't see this growth repeating itself with last year's yellow Bayou uniforms, however...those can stay in the closet forever. lol

TheStandJudge said:

nsuking2005 said:

justDANCE said:

Tailyn wasn't it for me either. Gorgeous young woman who serves you BAWDY, and she had a couple of great moments. But I always found her execution weird and awkward...even in routines that I would've expected her to murder with her strength in hip-hop. In the stands, she had tolerable moments, but meh overall. Honestly, the only one of the '15 crabs who I really went up for was Jackie...so, of course, she's the one who only got one rip. lol I also loved Alyx as a field performer and Melody as a tail.

And for the yellow leotard...while I appreciate what they were going for because they were dancing to a Latin song and the uni totally complemented that, it's not something that'd work for me as ongoing Doll wear (esp with the shoulder/chest cutout and the ruffled sleeve). Because the bright yellow is so close together color-wise with the white background, you miss the more intricate details of the uni unless you're looking really closely. And worst of all, the whole uni moves really, really badly on them as dancers. The material was stiff and rode up the backside. Unis not moving well with their bodies has been an ongoing issue with several of the Dolls' newer pieces over the last few seasons, but it was especially bad with this one. I think there are some good ideas that went into that uniform, but remaking into something usable past that one performance would be more trouble than it's worth IMO. lol 

TheStandJudge said:

Tbh for me Tailyn was my first pick. I thought Tailyn was everything and gave me KP. I love Tailyn sex appeal and her beautiful smile she has and she always gave bodyyy. However, I like how expressive Jordan was and the high energy that she had. Micah had high energy from the back but I honestly felt like she gave me nothing this season. Even though Gabby season was not bad or terrible it also was not one of my favorites either.  I thought she killed buy you a drank and later on in the season she really showed out.

You don't think the Yellow uniform from this season can be fixed?? Lol just remade a little bit??? Add a little this and a little that??? Or be gone with the uniform ??

nsuking2005 said:

TheStandJudge said:

nsuking2005 said:

justDANCE said:

RSS

© 2020   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service