Views: 23453

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Just right for me is one of my favorites as well ! 

Be Objective said:

I thought most people felt KP could do no wrong...I'm surprised to see people say '15 (the season) and KP are overrated, but to each his own...I thought there were some great moments during that season, here's a couple of my favorite moments that are rarely discussed:

I thought Gush was some of their best fieldwork of 15 minus the shako in the middle of the field :(

I don’t think they were too hard hitting because I think Stamper is a great balance by herself BUT I do think that some of the counts made them more burlesque or hard hitting which is not the “true doll” I prefer. I love most of the counts but I think some of them could be done by another squad and folks would never notice it as a doll count. If you do any classic doll count, people will know it’s a doll count. 17 had a few counts that if you did it people wouldn’t know it was doll. That’s why Stamper was the perfect person to bring in this new era. She understood balance. Every year she was on the squad, we saw her give a different staple of doll. She understood and did it well. 

As for Kayla, what you see is what you get, she had one style down pack and didn’t better than everyone! You can’t take that from her reign. I also think people forget what she brought to the table. Her reign is what gave us transitions in field shows. We raved about it for weeks in 14. That alone was enough to win us over. Now, people have forgotten and think looking back it was boring but the reality is, back then, it was mesmerizing because she did things no one had done before.

What's happening? said:

Okay I understand that. So you think that for 17 they didn't have good balance? Like you think they were too hard hitting even though they had Gabby, Mel, Taylor, Kaylon and Jada on that same team?

masemarcher said:

No need to keep your comment to yourself, I think what you’re saying makes perfect sense.

as for true Doll... I was referring to the counts. Yes! I do think some of the 17 counts were compromising. I never said it was wrong, though. I made my statement and stand by it as some of the counts that came after 15 in my opinion more burlesque (which emerged from 15 actually) than traditional doll.

my next point:

The twins needed Akai 

Beal needed Airee 

Dawn needed DT (though I thought Dawn balanced the styles as well)

DT damn sure needed Jessica

DT needed April (she came in as tail and balanced everything hard that DT threw that year)

kayla needed Sea (from creation standpoint and being directly behind her)

Sea NEEDED Casey

KP needed Danny

Dani needed Maya (regardless to how folks felt about her... she held down that tail spot for those who preferred “milk” and she definitely held her own leading!

And so forth... it’s been this way forever. 

as for “KP modeled”... I strongly believe Jada, Kaylon, Taylor, and Gabby all have dance preferences of KP/April milk style. Stamper is a great example of someone who can balance between the two (hard hitting and milk) style preferences. I believe both styles co-existing is what makes the Dolls. One doesn’t exist without the other. I saw the best balance of those in 2000, 05, 06, 08, 10, 12, 13(only because of those behind April who were straight hard hitters like KV, Josie, Jeanne, and, Angelica, Danny) 14, 15, 16, and 18. Though I’m not a Gabby fan, I can’t take away the fact that she balanced the doll style of preferences well... that and her count selection are phenomenal!  

What's happening? said:

I really was going to keep my comment to myself but let me just say this I said it was ghetto if she had "stuntin like your daddy" on her stomach. That is as ghetto as it comes. Now if it was hello kitty then I don't consider it ghetto then. From my understanding of what you're saying I'm guessing that you don't think 16 and 17 stayed true to "DOLL" right? What is true to "DOLL?" Which dolls on this line are "KP model of dolls?" 

masemarcher said:

I believe it was actually hello kitty. And Stunt is right... Everyone makes a big deal out of it for no reason. It doesn’t make her ghetto. She was young and made dumb decisions like the rest of us. Joy from the settes has an entire leg of tattoos. She may be cultured but that doesn’t mean she’s ghetto. Most of the dolls have them too. Y’all just don’t see them because they’re covered. 

Lastly, I’ll have to respectfully disagree about Kayla and 15. They year, regardless of the suspension and tension that resided with the administration, was a very memorable year. KP’s reign showed us what it looked like to have unity on a squad and for that to translate in strength when needed most. EVERY new count that year was DOLL. IMO, they stayed true to what doll was (in that season) without compromising. KP’s reign showed us much of what we see today... CLEAN AND UNITY. In fact, I’d say many of our favorites on the line are reflections of KPs model of doll. Gabby had moments that literally resembled KP... even with the new counts.

I think we have to understand the band from a financial side too. Much of 13 and 14 was new uniforms, I suspected we wouldn’t really get much more until the 50th after that. I believe this year we will see many new uniforms. It makes sense after the financial fiasco they’ve had and even KP making uniforms without permission. 

Stuntboi06 said:

I don't know what it said or was of but I just remember the cover make up was rubbing off once or something like that. But most college students get tattoos yall don't be so hard on her lol

What's happening? said:

Wait a damn minute!!! She had something like "Stuntin like your daddy" on her damn stomach? Chillleeee the GHETTTOOOO.

Mike said:

OMG! Lol. That is so ratchet! I believe they said it was something like, "Stuntin like your daddy..." I can't remember what.

Stuntboi06 said:

She did lol

Mike said:

Is it true that she had a big tattoo on her stomach? I read that on here a long time ago. Lol.

buckingANONYMOUS said:

honrae rokermore said:

Hopefully the kid's HAVE gone back to school with the FAKE FONTS!

yeah i feel like if somebody wants to define milk...just watch just right for me lol

buckingANONYMOUS said:

Just right for me is one of my favorites as well ! 

Be Objective said:

I thought most people felt KP could do no wrong...I'm surprised to see people say '15 (the season) and KP are overrated, but to each his own...I thought there were some great moments during that season, here's a couple of my favorite moments that are rarely discussed:

I thought Gush was some of their best fieldwork of 15 minus the shako in the middle of the field :(

I see what you're saying. To me, KP has an "it" factor that can't be denied, however looking back 14 and 15 took steps backward with field work after a phenomenal 13. 14 and 15 had their moments, but there wasn't much consistency in the field. That "it" factor goes a long way though because KPs time as captain undeniably "re-popularized" the Dolls' stand work which I think was previously mentioned. 

Do I think KP is overrated? Not really, but I don't think that she necessarily left anything behind hat we can say ooooh this is KP's doll legacy that we can still see today. On the flip side, we can see very clearly Stamper's legacy all over the dolls. Not trying to compare, but its obvious. 

What's happening? said:

I think some people can be objective. For example, I can like someone but I can admit, somethings about that person. Some people are lost in the sauce of KP that they can't look at her season objectively, especially when it comes in regards to other seasons. Like I like KP but I'm a just call it what it is. I liked the Gush, it was a good field show even with that damn hat being in the dolls way.

Be Objective said:

Aaahhh okay so it was the counts themselves that didn't scream doll to you? So the counts were exaggerated and too dramatic for you? I'm not saying KP was boring. I appreciated her reign in 14 but 15 was just overrated to me. 14 was better than 15 personally for me.

masemarcher said:

I don’t think they were too hard hitting because I think Stamper is a great balance by herself BUT I do think that some of the counts made them more burlesque or hard hitting which is not the “true doll” I prefer. I love most of the counts but I think some of them could be done by another squad and folks would never notice it as a doll count. If you do any classic doll count, people will know it’s a doll count. 17 had a few counts that if you did it people wouldn’t know it was doll. That’s why Stamper was the perfect person to bring in this new era. She understood balance. Every year she was on the squad, we saw her give a different staple of doll. She understood and did it well. 

As for Kayla, what you see is what you get, she had one style down pack and didn’t better than everyone! You can’t take that from her reign. I also think people forget what she brought to the table. Her reign is what gave us transitions in field shows. We raved about it for weeks in 14. That alone was enough to win us over. Now, people have forgotten and think looking back it was boring but the reality is, back then, it was mesmerizing because she did things no one had done before.

What's happening? said:

Okay I understand that. So you think that for 17 they didn't have good balance? Like you think they were too hard hitting even though they had Gabby, Mel, Taylor, Kaylon and Jada on that same team?

masemarcher said:

No need to keep your comment to yourself, I think what you’re saying makes perfect sense.

as for true Doll... I was referring to the counts. Yes! I do think some of the 17 counts were compromising. I never said it was wrong, though. I made my statement and stand by it as some of the counts that came after 15 in my opinion more burlesque (which emerged from 15 actually) than traditional doll.

my next point:

The twins needed Akai 

Beal needed Airee 

Dawn needed DT (though I thought Dawn balanced the styles as well)

DT damn sure needed Jessica

DT needed April (she came in as tail and balanced everything hard that DT threw that year)

kayla needed Sea (from creation standpoint and being directly behind her)

Sea NEEDED Casey

KP needed Danny

Dani needed Maya (regardless to how folks felt about her... she held down that tail spot for those who preferred “milk” and she definitely held her own leading!

And so forth... it’s been this way forever. 

as for “KP modeled”... I strongly believe Jada, Kaylon, Taylor, and Gabby all have dance preferences of KP/April milk style. Stamper is a great example of someone who can balance between the two (hard hitting and milk) style preferences. I believe both styles co-existing is what makes the Dolls. One doesn’t exist without the other. I saw the best balance of those in 2000, 05, 06, 08, 10, 12, 13(only because of those behind April who were straight hard hitters like KV, Josie, Jeanne, and, Angelica, Danny) 14, 15, 16, and 18. Though I’m not a Gabby fan, I can’t take away the fact that she balanced the doll style of preferences well... that and her count selection are phenomenal!  

What's happening? said:

I really was going to keep my comment to myself but let me just say this I said it was ghetto if she had "stuntin like your daddy" on her stomach. That is as ghetto as it comes. Now if it was hello kitty then I don't consider it ghetto then. From my understanding of what you're saying I'm guessing that you don't think 16 and 17 stayed true to "DOLL" right? What is true to "DOLL?" Which dolls on this line are "KP model of dolls?" 

masemarcher said:

I believe it was actually hello kitty. And Stunt is right... Everyone makes a big deal out of it for no reason. It doesn’t make her ghetto. She was young and made dumb decisions like the rest of us. Joy from the settes has an entire leg of tattoos. She may be cultured but that doesn’t mean she’s ghetto. Most of the dolls have them too. Y’all just don’t see them because they’re covered. 

Lastly, I’ll have to respectfully disagree about Kayla and 15. They year, regardless of the suspension and tension that resided with the administration, was a very memorable year. KP’s reign showed us what it looked like to have unity on a squad and for that to translate in strength when needed most. EVERY new count that year was DOLL. IMO, they stayed true to what doll was (in that season) without compromising. KP’s reign showed us much of what we see today... CLEAN AND UNITY. In fact, I’d say many of our favorites on the line are reflections of KPs model of doll. Gabby had moments that literally resembled KP... even with the new counts.

I think we have to understand the band from a financial side too. Much of 13 and 14 was new uniforms, I suspected we wouldn’t really get much more until the 50th after that. I believe this year we will see many new uniforms. It makes sense after the financial fiasco they’ve had and even KP making uniforms without permission. 

Stuntboi06 said:

I don't know what it said or was of but I just remember the cover make up was rubbing off once or something like that. But most college students get tattoos yall don't be so hard on her lol

What's happening? said:

Wait a damn minute!!! She had something like "Stuntin like your daddy" on her damn stomach? Chillleeee the GHETTTOOOO.

Mike said:

OMG! Lol. That is so ratchet! I believe they said it was something like, "Stuntin like your daddy..." I can't remember what.

Stuntboi06 said:

She did lol

Mike said:

Is it true that she had a big tattoo on her stomach? I read that on here a long time ago. Lol.

buckingANONYMOUS said:

honrae rokermore said:

Hopefully the kid's HAVE gone back to school with the FAKE FONTS!

I dont think KP was overrated but to sum it up...KP reign was the height of and most mesmerizing of the old way yet the foreshadowing of something New to Come(Stamper). I appreciate what they both contributed.

Yep KP  has the "it" factor and that's why I can't consider her overrated.

Be Objective said:

I see what you're saying. To me, KP has an "it" factor that can't be denied, however looking back 14 and 15 took steps backward with field work after a phenomenal 13. 14 and 15 had their moments, but there wasn't much consistency in the field. That "it" factor goes a long way though because KPs time as captain undeniably "re-popularized" the Dolls' stand work which I think was previously mentioned. 

Do I think KP is overrated? Not really, but I don't think that she necessarily left anything behind hat we can say ooooh this is KP's doll legacy that we can still see today. On the flip side, we can see very clearly Stamper's legacy all over the dolls. Not trying to compare, but its obvious. 

What's happening? said:

I think some people can be objective. For example, I can like someone but I can admit, somethings about that person. Some people are lost in the sauce of KP that they can't look at her season objectively, especially when it comes in regards to other seasons. Like I like KP but I'm a just call it what it is. I liked the Gush, it was a good field show even with that damn hat being in the dolls way.

Be Objective said:

Stunt , I think it's time for a new one.

well said. We might be able to call KP's years the transitional years then 

SUAlum11 said:

I dont think KP was overrated but to sum it up...KP reign was the height of and most mesmerizing of the old way yet the foreshadowing of something New to Come(Stamper). I appreciate what they both contributed.

Perfectly stated!!! I couldn’t agree more. And to be honest, I wasn’t a fan of either of them becoming captain! I was on here voting for Dani L in 13 but what I saw KP do shut me up! And same with Stamper. I prefer 17 over 16 simply because she owned her lane and did it well. We needed both of them and regardless of my preference, I’ll always be honest.

SUAlum11 said:

You Again, mimicking what other old school Doll fans have said, 2017 was more traditional than what people give credit to. People always bring up the Stingettish counts, in which I feel bamboozled about because the Stingettes is a hybrid of the Dolls and the Settes. However, the Stingettes was much more of a stand squad than the Dolls, and it showed until KP’s CYSTR video and until Dannie’s evolution. I think it goes against history (circa Traci Prince) to say that KP was a Doll but Dannie wasn’t. Evolution required change and something different. Dannie elevated the Dolls, but she took them back to high energy. KP was mesmerizing like an early 2000s Doc era Doll. We can’t call Traci Prince the GOAT but say KP is a Doll through and through, while calling Dannie, today’s actual Traci Prince, Stingettish; KP’s came up with several of 2017 counts. Where’s the logic?

RSS

© 2019   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service