TSU Breakground on the New Stadium

On a perfect day for football, the weather was gorgeous and the sun was shining on Texas Southern Athletics and the Houston Dynamo as they broke ground to their new home in grand-fashion on Saturday. Texas Southern President Dr. John M. Rudely and Athletic Director Dr. Charles McClelland were joined by Mayor Annise Parker, County Judge Ed Emmett and a multitude of VIPs from the Dynamos and Houston Sports Authority were on hand to break ground. “It is probably one of the most exhilarating days as [an] athletics director to be able to take part of a project this monumental, not only for the City of Houston but Texas Southern University…it is overwhelming,” said McClelland.  “We still have a lot of work to do. We are not out the woods yet.  But, where we were and where we are now is truly remarkable.” 

Texas Southern contributed $1.5 million dollars for the right to the new stadium home for the Tigers football team for next thirty years. The Dynamo is footing majority of the bill, contributing $60 million of the $90 million dollar stadium. The stadium will be located in the East End district across from the George R. Brown Convention Center. It will hold 22,000 fans. Five locker rooms will be built, one for the Dynamo, one for TSU football, and the others for the visiting teams. It will host MLS soccer matches, TSU football, and if Oscar De La Hoya haves it his way, boxing matches as well. “This is a perfect example of when you come together and unified over the needs of the community good things happen,” said City of Houston Mayor Annise Parker.  “We were able to partnership with an institution as historic and iconic as Texas Southern University, what better way to translate what America is about.”

The Dynamo stadium is expected to be completed in April of 2012.

To view the stadium LIVE via web go to: http://www.houstondynamo.com/stadium/webcam

25999702_640X360.jpeg

DSC01853.jpg

dynamo-stadium-houston-580x350.jpg

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Congrats TxSU!
  • It's a great day for Texas Southern and the Black community, Let's Go Tigers!!!!
  • congrats we broke ground feb 4th.
  • If Oscar De la hoya brings boxing to the stadium, I wonder would TxSU students get in free...LOL
  • prolly not lol

DrumMasterFDT said:
    If Oscar De la hoya brings boxing to the stadium, I wonder would TxSU students get in free...LOL
    TSU Breakground on the New Stadium
             On a perfect day for football, the weather was gorgeous and the sun was shining on Texas Southern Athletics and the Houston Dynamo as they b…
  • *thumbs up*
  • GLAD TO SEE TXSU PROGRESSING.....
  • Congrats TxSU! I see your student enrollment is increasing as well......keep up the good work!
  • 1.5 Million for the next 30 years??? Theyll be lucky to get a press pass.

DrumMasterFDT said:
    If Oscar De la hoya brings boxing to the stadium, I wonder would TxSU students get in free...LOL
  • DAT! Will sip syrup for my favorite home state HBCU.
This reply was deleted.