tuba mouthpieces for a good fat tone and excellent lows

hey everybody im new to to band head and i need everyones help im in search of a tuba mouthpieces for a good  tone and excellent lows and i need your help on that situation im a tuba player at my high school im a sophmore and and the only tuba player so if anyone can shed any light on wat kind of mouthpiece i would be grateful

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well choosing a mouthpiece starts with your ability level. Is your apeture strong? How long have you been playing and how frequently do you practice? Next is What is your price range, we can go from Hellebergs which are like $69.95 to Mike Finns which are $145.00 to Monette which are $360. All of these are good Mouthpieces but it depends on your ability level and price range. And remember, every mouthpiece isnt for everybody. Some people can get by with a $70 Schilke, which i do not recommend that you buy, and some can play with a $35 dollar Kellyberg. Really what your going to have to do is find what works for you by testing mouthpieces out. Start off with a Helleberg though. You'll more than likely stick with that one. Also, work on volume if necessary simple ab excercises and running can get you sounding nice. Also rememebr to keep the tone. Good Luck man.
  • thanks man i have a helleberg right now tho i have been playing tuba for three years now and i have been lookin at the perantucci pt 50 and pt 88 also i have been lookin at the mike finn mf3h they all are goo mouthpieces but what kind of ab excercises do you recomend for me and how much running will i hvae to do
  • Six Inches, Bi-cycles, Crunches, Sit-Ups etc. Anything that you would see the track team working on lol. Hell, join the track team if you want.

Rodd Gerald said:
    thanks man i have a helleberg right now tho i have been playing tuba for three years now and i have been lookin at the perantucci pt 50 and pt 88 also i have been lookin at the mike finn mf3h they all are goo mouthpieces but what kind of ab excercises do you recomend for me and how much running will i hvae to do
    hey everybody im new to to band head and i need everyones help im in search of a tuba mouthpieces for a good  tone and excellent lows and i need your…
  • o ok then thats wazup and um what college do you play for

I Bleed Purple and Gold said:
    Six Inches, Bi-cycles, Crunches, Sit-Ups etc. Anything that you would see the track team working on lol. Hell, join the track team if you want.

Rodd Gerald said:
    thanks man i have a helleberg right now tho i have been playing tuba for three years now and i have been lookin at the perantucci pt 50 and pt 88 also i have been lookin at the mike finn mf3h they all are goo mouthpieces but what kind of ab excercises do you recomend for me and how much running will i hvae to do
    hey everybody im new to to band head and i need everyones help im in search of a tuba mouthpieces for a good  tone and excellent lows and i need your…
  • Lutcher High School.

Rodd Gerald said:
    o ok then thats wazup and um what college do you play for

I Bleed Purple and Gold said:
    Six Inches, Bi-cycles, Crunches, Sit-Ups etc. Anything that you would see the track team working on lol. Hell, join the track team if you want.

Rodd Gerald said:
  • The MF3 is a MONSTER. For the ab excercises check out this article. As for the runing you dont want to start off runing for long periods of time. You want to build up for true progress. You'll be fine after you get your core strong and you learn how to use the air.
    Rodd Gerald said:
  • but is the mf3h a good mouthpiece

I Bleed Orange And Green said:
    The MF3 is a MONSTER. For the ab excercises check out this article. As for the runing you dont want to start off runing for long periods of time. You want to build up for true progress. You'll be fine after you get your core strong and you learn how to use the air.
    Rodd Gerald said:
  • Yeah Mike Finns are good mouthpieces. A lot of collegiate Sousaphone players use it. That includes non-HBCUs. I've seen pics of tuba players from BCU,FAMU, University Of Alabama, LSU and a whole bunch of other schools using Mike Finns. I've played on a MF3, takes some getting use to but that tone will be sweet and the pedal tones on that mouthpiece.......I've never had my pedal F fly off louder.

Rodd Gerald said:
    but is the mf3h a good mouthpiece

I Bleed Orange And Green said:
    The MF3 is a MONSTER. For the ab excercises check out this article. As for the runing you dont want to start off runing for long periods of time. You want to build up for true progress. You'll be fine after you get your core strong and you learn how to use the air.
    Rodd Gerald said:
  • Honestly, I think bigger is better. Larger mouthpieces seem to give a darker sound. Though, I think something with a thinner rim might do well. Something like a Denis Wick 1L or 1XL might do really well if your willing to do the work for it. The 1XL is HUGE. The statistics I saw showed it being bigger than the MF3. But I play on a Schilke Helleburg and I'm doing fine. Really though, that was what was in my price range, and I thought it was a 69c4. But for a slightly smaller, funnel shaped mouthpiece, I'm actally getting a suprisingly dark sound from it.

In the end, I don't think the problem is ever going to be the mouthpiece. When I lost my old mouthpiece right before my All County audition on my freshman year, my director let me use his PT-48 (amazing mouthpiece). And then I went back to the 24AW when I got into the ensemble.

Thing is, I still had one of the better sounding tones there. Just go for a good dark tone. Don't HIT the not. Play the note, watch your attack. If you can do that, you don't need a new mouthpiece.

Also, I can crank Pedal F on any mouthpiece.
  • o ok den mane dats wazup but do you really think a denis wick 1xl wud work

Rob said:
    Honestly, I think bigger is better. Larger mouthpieces seem to give a darker sound. Though, I think something with a thinner rim might do well. Something like a Denis Wick 1L or 1XL might do really well if your willing to do the work for it. The 1XL is HUGE. The statistics I saw showed it being bigger than the MF3. But I play on a Schilke Helleburg and I'm doing fine. Really though, that was what was in my price range, and I thought it was a 69c4. But for a slightly smaller, funnel shaped mouthpiece, I'm actally getting a suprisingly dark sound from it.

In the end, I don't think the problem is ever going to be the mouthpiece. When I lost my old mouthpiece right before my All County audition on my freshman year, my director let me use his PT-48 (amazing mouthpiece). And then I went back to the 24AW when I got into the ensemble.

Thing is, I still had one of the better sounding tones there. Just go for a good dark tone. Don't HIT the not. Play the note, watch your attack. If you can do that, you don't need a new mouthpiece.

Also, I can crank Pedal F on any mouthpiece.
This reply was deleted.