Valley Comeback.

In the beginning, Valley used to be +200 strong. Then everything changed when Torregano took over in 2003. Since then up to now, many individuals have come to an unwritten code that whenever they hear about MVSU being a good and/or decent band, the SWAC's response can easily be summarized in a single picture.tumblr_m3o5q4UZlU1rvb870o1_500.jpg

From 2003 to recent many bands once considered Valley to be a bottom, earning them the nickname "Doormat of the SWAC." But as of late the baby sibling, who was once picked on by everyone of it's older siblings, decided that enough was enough. This year has been a sign that those things could possibly change. I say possibly because things do change from year to year and I don't want to be wrong when things are uncertain for the moment. Valley changed directors in 2012 and since then, have made strides to improving the band program. So with that bit of information, I will be posting a video for each year to show how much they have improved from such the fall of 2004.

But first, lets look at some Tramiel era footage, for old-times sake.

Now let's go forward into the new millennium. Years are skipped because of lack of footage.

2010-The year I attended. (I was embarrassed as hell at this game)

2011- (First Game)

2012- The year T left. (First Game)

Notice a change in the sound?

2013-(First Game)

Again, the band world commends MVSU for coming this far from the bottom. But remember, there is a LOT to do and a long way to go. As usual send your opinions and responses below.

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What direction are they going? Will they continue the "junior band" route or will they go back their original identity?
  • Well I actually Mr. T became BD during the summer of 2005. I marched for MVSU from 2006 to 2009 and it had it ups and downs. Just from my experience Mr. T was ok sometimes he was not pleasant to be around. But the thing about Mr. T was that he was more of a musical BD, he cared more about jazz, concert and symphonic bands more than marching band.

I have seen the 2013 mvsu band in person and I like what I see so far. A few things can be changed to help improve the band. For examples the field shows needs more diverse drilling, some of their arrangements are too short. Another thing is that I like the size they are now. But in dew time  Valley will be a strong SWAC heavy hitter.

• And it showed. Every time in marching band rehearsal, he wanted to turn a SWAC band into concert band. So we could never really take our parts up or crank when we wanted to. The tubas were a different story. I remember when we were in Chicago, T made us leave the square as Alcorn commenced to crankin on us. Our section cranked a fanfare right back at them and T walked up to us and said "Play one more time and I'll revoke your scholarships" ...yeah he kept a muzzle on us the very next day. But that's just who he was. But I'll give it to him, the jazz band was eggin.

K_Lowe said:

Well I actually Mr. T became BD during the summer of 2005. I marched for MVSU from 2006 to 2009 and it had it ups and downs. Just from my experience Mr. T was ok sometimes he was not pleasant to be around. But the thing about Mr. T was that he was more of a musical BD, he cared more about jazz, concert and symphonic bands more than marching band.

I have seen the 2013 mvsu band in person and I like what I see so far. A few things can be changed to help improve the band. For examples the field shows needs more diverse drilling, some of their arrangements are too short. Another thing is that I like the size they are now. But in dew time  Valley will be a strong SWAC heavy hitter.

Valley Comeback.
    In the beginning, Valley used to be +200 strong. Then everything changed when Torregano took over in 2003. Since then up to now, many individuals hav…
  • So valley put more focus on other ensembles besides marching band , I guess all those other swac bands (with the exception of those with good ensembles outside of marching band)can't say they were slaw because most of them put so much emphasis on marching band..
  • I read in the Clarion Ledger where MVSU enrollment went down from 2, 442 to 2, 212 in one year and this decrease happened after the eliminated all out of state fees for all who applied.

The band needs to focus on what their tradition was and stop trying to be like SU.

• Enrollment has dropped, but idk about the trying to be SU part u bout only person I've heard that from, on every valley post u ha nothing good to say I think you are now officially a hater if you don't like valley stop looking up their videos and post stick to your band program

• why go back to corps style? that makes no sense
    ChuckTaylor said:
    What direction are they going? Will they continue the "junior band" route or will they go back their original identity?
    Valley Comeback.
    In the beginning, Valley used to be +200 strong. Then everything changed when Torregano took over in 2003. Since then up to now, many individuals hav…
  • Please don't attack me Kennis, Im not a hater of valley, I just don't think they have paid their dues of working hard and being a contender as one of the big 5.  (SU,JSU, BC, Tenn State & FAMU)  Valley is just valley the green and white band. 

kennis said:

Enrollment has dropped, but idk about the trying to be SU part u bout only person I've heard that from, on every valley post u ha nothing good to say I think you are now officially a hater if you don't like valley stop looking up their videos and post stick to your band program
    Valley Comeback.
  • Tiff I understand where you coming from Valley has been down for years and every time they progress no one wants to see them make it, as for the top 5 it does take time, I'm not even gone vote them that, its a lot needed to be worked on mainly field show drilling dance routines and sound is on point , lines be straight but the execution is poor, faster and more exciting drills need to come in place , but give them time.

Tiffani said:

Please don't attack me Kennis, Im not a hater of valley, I just don't think they have paid their dues of working hard and being a contender as one of the big 5.  (SU,JSU, BC, Tenn State & FAMU)  Valley is just valley the green and white band. 

kennis said:

Enrollment has dropped, but idk about the trying to be SU part u bout only person I've heard that from, on every valley post u ha nothing good to say I think you are now officially a hater if you don't like valley stop looking up their videos and post stick to your band program
    Valley Comeback.
  • Hey tiffiani you are right because Valley does not have the right people behind the scenes. When I came in 2006 Dr. Newman was president then after him was interim president Dr. Hudson and the Dr. Oliver. Now out of the three Dr. Hudson would have been the best choice because one he graduated from mvsu and was a professor. Even when he was the president he still taught classes. He had pride and tradition about the Valley. (OLE SCHOOL but with new school elements).

Tiffani said:

I read in the Clarion Ledger where MVSU enrollment went down from 2, 442 to 2, 212 in one year and this decrease happened after the eliminated all out of state fees for all who applied.

The band needs to focus on what their tradition was and stop trying to be like SU.

Valley Comeback.
This reply was deleted.