Which SWAC band has your favorite arrangements?

I'll give it to them, even though i'm not a big fan of them in general, Bama state has a lot of my favorite arrangements. I wish they'd pull them off a little better sometimes, but they have some serious sounding arrangements.

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• LOL, I already see where this will go...let me predict..(clears throat) somebody gonna come in hating on you for saying you like ASU arrangments, then southern is gonna get thrown into the mix. After a couple replies JSU will get brought up, su will start hating and this topic will turn into 20+ pages of Jackson State and Southern arguing. LMFAO. it never fails...just wait for it..
  • SU is my sworn enemy but i have to give it up, they have the best arrangements in the SWAC.
  • I like UAPB's arrangements personally. Their arrangement of "After the Love Has Gone" was simply beautiful...
  • SU, hands down. At SU, they actually write to acheive a certain sound. Mr. J and Knighten are two outstanding arrangers. I didnt know Knighten composed original concert pieces. Hamer is a damn good arranger and teacher as well. I was diggin his music back when he was at Washington Marion.

Most people think SU just write songs to be loud, but there is more to it than meets the eye. SU writes their melodies, tenor chords, and countermelodies to get a certain brass band, AM radio effect, that winds up imitating a jukebox-type sound.

PV comes in at a close second. George Edwards was a great arranger (hubba FAMU alumnus....RIP) We play one of his arrangments in the Marching100. (O' Happy Day and Mighty Rattlers.) You can tell PV has some influences from FAMU's older Foster days.

TxSU also has some good pieces like Hot Boyz, and a few others from recent years.

There is also that Boys (britney spears) and Like I Love You by AA&M Univ. from fall 2002. Loved it. good year for the alabama schools.

Everyone else (minus JSU on a good day) pretty much suck arse at writing. Im SO serious. As an arranger myself, I am appalled at the mess I hear some SWAC bands playing and how the BD could let em go out the band hall playin like that. Bad key signatures, terrible countermelodies, wack arse bass lines, TOO MANY counter melodies (when a song has like 5 different countermelodies thats TOO much. The main idea become muddled)

Personally, I feel like such sorry SWAC arrangers should go to a clinic hosted by Lindsey B. Searjent......the BEST arranger for any college. PERIOD. Or maybe they should ask me to front em some music. I learned from the best lol! Hubba Sarj!
  • Yeah i love Sargeant's chord structure and modulations, he's a BEAST.

J. Da Great said:
    SU, hands down. At SU, they actually write to acheive a certain sound. Mr. J and Knighten are two outstanding arrangers. I didnt know Knighten composed original concert pieces. Hamer is a !&%@# good arranger and teacher as well. I was diggin his music back when he was at Washington Marion.

Most people think SU just write songs to be loud, but there is more to it than meets the eye. SU writes their melodies, tenor chords, and countermelodies to get a certain brass band, AM radio effect, that winds up imitating a jukebox-type sound.

PV comes in at a close second. George Edwards was a great arranger (hubba FAMU alumnus....RIP) We play one of his arrangments in the Marching100. (O' Happy Day and Mighty Rattlers.) You can tell PV has some influences from FAMU's older Foster days.

TxSU also has some good pieces like Hot Boyz, and a few others from recent years.

There is also that Boys (britney spears) and Like I Love You by AA&M Univ. from fall 2002. Loved it. good year for the alabama schools.

Everyone else (minus JSU on a good day) pretty much suck !&%@# at writing. Im SO serious. As an arranger myself, I am appalled at the mess I hear some SWAC bands playing and how the BD could let em go out the band hall playin like that. Bad key signatures, terrible countermelodies, wack !&%@# bass lines, TOO MANY counter melodies (when a song has like 5 different countermelodies thats TOO much. The main idea become muddled)

Personally, I feel like such sorry SWAC arrangers should go to a clinic hosted by Lindsey B. Searjent......the BEST arranger for any college. PERIOD. Or maybe they should ask me to front em some music. I learned from the best lol! Hubba Sarj!
    I'll give it to them, even though i'm not a big fan of them in general, Bama state has a lot of my favorite arrangements. I wish they'd pull them off…
  • i like the way txsu ends thier songs
  • Nathan Haymer wrote some some of the bes best arrangements I've ever heard or played. SU has played the best arrangements I've ever heard or played.
  • love Su i wanna g to that skool but my 2nd choice is (god forbid) GSU j/k but all jokes aside i like a few of Gram arrangements(i like mellows on neck)

RJ1919 said:
    SU is my sworn enemy but i have to give it up, they have the best arrangements in the SWAC.
    I'll give it to them, even though i'm not a big fan of them in general, Bama state has a lot of my favorite arrangements. I wish they'd pull them off…
This reply was deleted.