Why are louisiana band directors taking over Texas High school bands?

Why are lousiana band directors taking over texas high school bands Like Memorial pa... Northforest... and Worthing just too name a few why is that?

Views: 1660

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ummm, maybe it's because we graduate, with a degree comparable to our field....and also as far as SU is concerned, it's a proven brand. For example if you are looking for afootball coach, and you have an opportuninty to get a coach who played and studied at a well known, consistent, and dominant program like USC,a program used to big games, high pressure situations and a record of success you'd probably pick him over someone from a lesser known program, is it to say that the coach from a small program can't have success, no, and is it to say that the coach from the program with all the pedigree will be more successful, maybe not, but when you're looking for the candidate you'll probably pick the one with more pedigree.

As for Memorial P.A.
I graduated from mhs and was in that band from it's first year until 2005, so there is nobody who can debunk what I personally experienced. Were the arrangements better, no, now were the musicians in high school bands across TX as a WHOLE better, most definitely. The problem with high schools playing SU arrangements is that they were never intended for high school, whether it be range, rhythmic difficulty, or instrumentation, most high schools will never be able to execute that music the way it's meant to sound.

Plus you need to specify when you say Louisiana band directors, for instance I'm from Texas and I got my degree in music Ed. from SU, the same is true of many SU directors...but I still say the biggest factor is Graduates who are fully qualified and CERTIFIED!

IDK about SU directors taking over.  Theres a nice mix of them and they do make their presence felt.  Houston is broken down like:

Austin- PV/TSU

Milby-PV/Iowa

Royal- PV

North Forest-SU/PV

Lamarque-SU

Yates-PV

Madison-Grambling/JSU

Willowridge-TSU

Jones-TSU

Worthing-TSU

Sam Houston-Alcorn/TSU

So its a good mix and the fun thing is when you cant tell where the director is from. 

Texas pays more.

yep, and their Expectations are way higher.. yet they have strict limitations depending on state & School district codes...

Virgil C. Tiller said:

Texas pays more.
im trying to see where the man said SU,n wherer yall got that from? o_O But to answer the question, why not?

FROM WHAT I SEE THERE ARE MORE TXSU AND PV FOLKS THAN SOUTHERN SO WERE ARE YOU GETTING THIS WRONG INFORMATION FROM (J.GREEN)????...

AND THIS LIST IS JUST ADDING ON TO WHAT GOLDY SAID...

STERLING -TXSU/TXSU

SCARBROUGH -TXSU

HIGHTOWER-TXSU

WALTRIP-TXSU

JEFF DAVIS- TXSU/TXSU

OZEN - ALCORN

WHEATLEY-TXSU

westbury is 100% southern style

Mr. Jackson from Hightower, graduated from SU.

MAN I REMEBER WHEN WESTBURY USE TO BE JUST LIKE UAPB... WOW HOW THINGS CHANGE

Jordan Babineaux said:

westbury is 100% southern style
@ big al
Actually, I think mrs mitchell graduated from UH
I KNOW IT HURTS BUT THATS THE WAY IT IS....I JUST TRY TO DO MY PART HERE IN DALLAS...BY THE WAY NO ONE HAS SAID ANYTHING BOUT DALLAS SCHOOLS. WE HAVE NO ONE TO LOOK AT HERE THATS WHY THE STYLES ARE DIVERSE IN THE D. BUT I MEAN SPEAKING BAND WISE ITS A GOOD MIXTURE OF BANDS IN THE D. BUT I MEAN THE DRUMLINE SCENE ITS EITHER ALCORN LU PVAMU GSU SU UAPB TC SO THE BAND DIRECTORS ARE MOSTLY FROM SWAC TEXAS AND LOUISIANA HBCU'S. I THINK THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION IS THE MONEY AND MOST OF THEM LIVE HERE NOW SOME ARE FROM HERE. EVERYBODY IN DALLAS DONT GO TO PV LIKE THEY USE TO OR TXSU....I WILL SAY THIS THO IF PAUL QUINN COLLEGE HAD A BAND ON A LEVEL LIKE PRAIRIE VIEW OR TXSU THEN I MITE JUST HAVE WENT THERE...WHO KNOWS IM JUS SAYING. DALLAS IS A FEEDING GROUND FOR THE DIFFERENT STYLES AND WE HAVE A LOT OF SCHOOLS. ALL I KNOW IS AS ALUMNI WE SHOULD COME BACK TO YOUR HOME SCHOOL REGARDLESS WHAT COLLEGE BAND YOU MARCHED IN COME BACK AND HELP SOMEBODY...INFLUENCE THEM WITH THE KNOWLEDGE THYE NEED TO GET TO THE NEXT LEVEL. GIVE BACK WHAT WAS GIVIN TO YOU. THATS ALL BUT IT DNT MATTER WHERE THEY COME FROM ASA LONG AS THEY DOIN WHAT THEY LOVE AND GET THE MONEY WHILE DO IT.
damn this thread is like a year old lol and its just got some attention... lol just though i would say that

RSS

© 2017   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service