Sup band fam?

Just wondering what you all thoughts are on the sudden rise and popularity of All Star bands throughout the South and MidWest? Why now? I am not against them, just wondering?

Views: 919

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually The New Orleans Public School's All Star Band Started in 1999, It was also called the Orleans Parish All Star Band   This band was only open to Students in public schools. and it was for Select Students, not a community band voluntary band like the others...   the Last year for that band was 2004-05 school year.

Between 2000 and 04  many all star  bands arose .. like Baton Rouge All Star Band came About.  That Morphed into LLI when Cleo Fields Stepped.in like 03-04.  Houston All Star Band became Greater Houston All Star Band. Memphis All Stars and Memphis Alumni had all star bands. Collegiality there were the HBCU all Star Bands .as well., Nearly everywhere there was a good band, There was an All star Band in Existance ..lol.. 

More Recently though

in 2008 New Orleans has an All Star Band which Included St Aug Students .. this was mainly for a specific event and was Basically overlooked, it was more like a mass band of the Schools that existed in its time.. it wasn't that great a deal.  

in 2009,  New Orleans Alumni All Stars attempted to Form. but it failed because we tried to only include alumni ..and nobody showed up.
2010  .. NOAASB was formed ..but Ironically the Brandon Frankin Mass band Overshadowed its existence for a while .. it was 2 separate bands.  BF band was a mass band specifically for a funeral.   .. what we at the NOAASB Learned from that was to include everybody into what WE were doing.. and we spread the word to get  more membership.

NOAASB showed up at the 2010 GHASB battle as a guest band.  which sparked a ripple effect... HUMB was born.. Nemphis HS and Alumni bands Merged to become 1 band .. Mississippi, ATL and  Arkansas got involved and there was a League of "Mass Bands" from then on..

NOAASB is now called the NOASB because its a Mass Band and not an Alumni Only band.

It's would all be a great thing if there was a governing body and 1 mass event  to showcase these bands .. but Then again.. EXTREME BOTB has made this happen LOL!

I guess my point was it seems like all of the bandhead action has shifted to the summer i.e. high schools bands. I understand it gives students " something to be involved in " (you preaching to the choir with that statement)..i just would enjoy if that same energy would be alive every friday night in houston with thebands vs. Waiting til the summer. As for the mass bands i agree that its a good idea for each city to have one but i'd rather it be jus for the adults so the kids could have college band to look forward to instead of skipping hbcu bands and jus marching for a mass band....i like to see Humb go against other mass bands...jus would 'prefer' it be adults so nothing has to be watered down...leave that to the high school all star bands...i expect mass bands to be like hbcu'sbands on steroids!

I'm against them...simply because of the adults in them, they need to go sit down somewhere and let these kids have their shine. We've marched already. If you want to come back and play for Homecoming or something that's different but these AllStar bands need to sit down...leave it to the kids

I agree with Bandman....I think it's an interesting concept and I do agree with the original principle of the idea that it keeps the high school kids playing throughout the summer...But I equate it to middle school kids having lettermen jackets, class rings, elementary school graduations, etc....what do these kids have to look forward too??? Kids now a days don't know the rewards of long term goals being reached!!! If you play in a so called "All-star" group during the summer with college kids, then why even play in a college band??? Been there done that!!! The experience is almost the same. And for kids these days, that experience is more than enough!!! So why spend time in my high school band if I'm a trumpet player with my other 4 or 5 trumpet players when I can just play in HUMB or NOASB or MASB or ATDAAMASB and play with 25 trumpet players....and I'm an incoming freshman???? You think that kid will take anything he learned back to his high school band??? He/she sure will, but I know for a fact it's not always positive!!! jmo....

The Alumni Mass Bands are cool because the older folks still want to be involved with music. Nothing is wrong with that.

The high school all-star bands can be a sort of double-edged sword. On one hand, it keeps the students playing over the summer when we all know they wouldn't touch a horn without the all-star bands, and it allows them to learn new things and possibly take it back to their respective high school bands. The downside is that the students may choose to withdraw from their own school band and just wait until all-star season to play, or they bring unnecessary drama back to their school with the "We did it this way at all-star band", or "Mr. so and so said we should play this way", or "We suck, the all-star band is so much better". That is something the all-star band doesn't intend to happen, but we all know how students can be. 

Despite all of that, I think all-star bands can do more good than harm.

I feel where you are coming from number 1. Good points...my only thing is, alumni allstar bands need to be just that but keep the kids out of them unless they are alumni...i can understand how some old heads want to be involved with music and utilize these venues to sooth that itch ya know? Since i've always taught after graduation...i never got that Al Bundy itch lol...because I was around it everyday so no need...plus the only itch I had was going back for homecoming at Txsu and jamming with my old heads showing the youngstas the real tradition and not this made up bs they're doing... for me, once I stopped marching I left it at that because my time was up...let the little ones have their shine time..

number1 said:

The Alumni Mass Bands are cool because the older folks still want to be involved with music. Nothing is wrong with that.

The high school all-star bands can be a sort of double-edged sword. On one hand, it keeps the students playing over the summer when we all know they wouldn't touch a horn without the all-star bands, and it allows them to learn new things and possibly take it back to their respective high school bands. The downside is that the students may choose to withdraw from their own school band and just wait until all-star season to play, or they bring unnecessary drama back to their school with the "We did it this way at all-star band", or "Mr. so and so said we should play this way", or "We suck, the all-star band is so much better". That is something the all-star band doesn't intend to happen, but we all know how students can be. 

I definitely agree. Let the alumni do their own thing, and let the high schoolers do their own thing.

Bandman said:

I feel where you are coming from number 1. Good points...my only thing is, alumni allstar bands need to be just that but keep the kids out of them unless they are alumni...i can understand how some old heads want to be involved with music and utilize these venues to sooth that itch ya know? Since i've always taught after graduation...i never got that Al Bundy itch lol...because I was around it everyday so no need...plus the only itch I had was going back for homecoming at Txsu and jamming with my old heads showing the youngstas the real tradition and not this made up bs they're doing... for me, once I stopped marching I left it at that because my time was up...let the little ones have their shine time..

number1 said:

I totally agree

Bandman said:

number1 said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service