2015 BAND preseason expectations and outlooks.

Extremely hyped for the new band season but with band camp coming up I want to know; what your expectations are as well as old and new songs You want to here I'll put my explanations below:AAMU: upper brass power; lower brass size; swagger from the divas; and the main thing I want to here them bring back is rock steadyJSU: maintaining size and consistency; featuring those great ass mellos even more; please bring back I got 5 on it only jsu plays it right.SU: Better mello musicality and power; More old school soul songs and bringing back stunting like my daddyALST: musicality and bringing back hate me nowALCORN: consistency and musical stamina sometimes they lost it. And keep playing hoe checkTXSU/GSU: getting back to their old 2005/2006 selves and bringing better songs to the tableFAMU: Reestablishing your legacy and putting yourself back on the mapBCU: not to much to say other than utilizing that constant size and putting power with it.NCAT: first better tuba play and trumpet power; and I know who you guys are but maybe just better up to date songs that the listener can distinguish.DEGA: CLEANLINESS AND LESS IS BETTER; while featuring that powerful baritone horn sound even moreTNST: better upper brass sound and keeping up the consistent lower brass musicality while maybe bringing back party don't stop and hustlin.All people chime in on this; feel free to include dance lines too; "this is all things considered".

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree with this
  • And I wish in general 4th quarters would be longer. Seems like it's more emphasis during the game than the 4th. But I wanna see what SWAC school steps us this year and gets that "2nd place crown" behind 1a JSU and 1b SU.
  • Pretty much on point!!!!
  • Thanks; I'm hoping this turns into a great discussion;feel free to give insight on any thing you think I missed. Super hyped for this year!!! Size always intrigues me as well typically there is always one band in the Swac who's size is bigger than normal; guess we'll see.

boomsop said:
    Pretty much on point!!!!
    Extremely hyped for the new band season but with band camp coming up I want to know; what your expectations are as well as old and new songs You want…
  • I would add something to this for jsu, powering those trumpets and bringing some blasting songs

XLMbeatzzz said:
    Thanks; I'm hoping this turns into a great discussion;feel free to give insight on any thing you think I missed. Super hyped for this year!!! Size always intrigues me as well typically there is always one band in the Swac who's size is bigger than normal; guess we'll see.

boomsop said:
    Pretty much on point!!!!
    Extremely hyped for the new band season but with band camp coming up I want to know; what your expectations are as well as old and new songs You want…
  • SOUTHERN:
    I want to see Southern at around 2007 size, somewhere between 250-280.
    More uptempo songs, bring back the classics like I Remember, Amazing, Chase, and Blood on the Dancefloor
    Stronger/Larger trumpet line. I miss that 05 sound, even though 2011 came real close lol
    Faster transitions on the field. Nobody can top Southern drill wise, but I felt like I saw way too many moving yardlines. Throw that conversion back in there lol (they usually do it marching downfield right before splitting ranks 20 yards)

I got nothing for everybody else. It's all about Southern. Lmao
  • And I guess something else I've noticed to with alot of bands; is plain just doing to much with an arrangement of a song. There's a difference between featuring an instrument and just plain creating a whole new musical interpretation of the song.

Seems like the common theme with alot of bands is to make trumpet instrumentation better.
  • I honestly I think southern do to much with their arrangements. Like Holy Grail was ridiculous and power was almost just as ridiculous. Both arrangements were over did and lost the musicality. I feel SU need to focus less on being just a new orleans second line band blasting every where and pit fillers in places it don't need to be. Also SU need to work on the percussion feat. in their songs because we can barely hear them. Also the tubas need to work on versatility

XLMbeatzzz said:
    And I guess something else I've noticed to with alot of bands; is plain just doing to much with an arrangement of a song. There's a difference between featuring an instrument and just plain creating a whole new musical interpretation of the song.

Seems like the common theme with alot of bands is to make trumpet instrumentation better.
  • It's interesting you said that because that's reason why any time I hear a discussion about southern and jackson state I always roll with jsu because to me southern is a brass band and that's great because there sound is unmatched when a song needs to be powered up but to me sometimes it is to much. Jsu they just gota clean up somethings. But I'm curious to see "the second tier hbcu bands": AAMU ALST TNST NCAT & BCU. (first tier to me is JSU AND SU; BCU is a close first tier tho.)

altosax said:
    I honestly I think southern do to much with their arrangements. Like Holy Grail was ridiculous and power was almost just as ridiculous. Both arrangements were over did and lost the musicality. I feel SU need to focus less on being just a new orleans second line band blasting every where and pit fillers in places it don't need to be. Also SU need to work on the percussion feat. in their songs because we can barely hear them. Also the tubas need to work on versatility

XLMbeatzzz said:
    And I guess something else I've noticed to with alot of bands; is plain just doing to much with an arrangement of a song. There's a difference between featuring an instrument and just plain creating a whole new musical interpretation of the song.

• Also I will rather hear "I Know" vs. "I Got Five On It"

XLMbeatzzz said:
    It's interesting you said that because that's reason why any time I hear a discussion about southern and jackson state I always roll with jsu because to me southern is a brass band and that's great because there sound is unmatched when a song needs to be powered up but to me sometimes it is to much. Jsu they just gota clean up somethings. But I'm curious to see "the second tier hbcu bands": AAMU ALST TNST NCAT & BCU. (first tier to me is JSU AND SU; BCU is a close first tier tho.)

altosax said:
    I honestly I think southern do to much with their arrangements. Like Holy Grail was ridiculous and power was almost just as ridiculous. Both arrangements were over did and lost the musicality. I feel SU need to focus less on being just a new orleans second line band blasting every where and pit fillers in places it don't need to be. Also SU need to work on the percussion feat. in their songs because we can barely hear them. Also the tubas need to work on versatility

XLMbeatzzz said:

This reply was deleted.