Replies

• Happy 50th Anniversary! I loved those Greggs era Dancing Dolls!

How do I say goodbye to what we had?

I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever has blown away.

And I'll take with me the memories to be my sunshine after the rain.
    It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.

Related image

• Enjoyed Ms. Gracie Perkins interview. Was happy to hear her address the "Elephant in the Room", the color issue.

• where did the light skin dark skin color issue start? i know there was a preference in terms of beauty!

• THANK GOD! Loved them to death, but so happy it’s a new era! Not just about looks but TALENT now! The Dolls now are killing it just like they did in the past. They just evolved with time just like technology and everything else. I’m sure you will be able to get your ole school fix at this years homecoming. 

Eric said:

Happy 50th Anniversary! I loved those Greggs era Dancing Dolls!

How do I say goodbye to what we had?

I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever has blown away.

And I'll take with me the memories to be my sunshine after the rain.
    It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.

Related image

Southern University Dancing Dolls History: 50th Anniversary: The Legacy Continues!
  • During slavery

Jarrett Goer said:

where did the light skin dark skin color issue start? i know there was a preference in terms of beauty!

Southern University Dancing Dolls History: 50th Anniversary: The Legacy Continues!
  • I must say... I hate the whole lightskin only lie that people have started to run with for years. If you have followed the dolls, then you know there have always been darkskin girls!! They weren’t the majority, but there have been quite a few and they have always been top notch in talent. Since I have been attending Southern, I realize a lot of girls use that as a go-to excuse as to why they don't make it. They could have mediocre technique, be lacking in PHYSICAL body condition, and have a bad attitude... but they will always say “ They didn’t pick me because I was too black.”. Even when you tell them about girls like Arielle, Brittany Brown, Dt, Jaqueline, Aysha, etc... they still say “They’re not dark dark!”. Like wtf.

• Colorism is a pretty big issue in the dance world as a whole. I can’t speak on Southern because I’ve never participated in their program. But I do know that it’s a lot more difficult to make teams as a darker woman. Professional teams are based mainly upon what their audience would like to see. Eye candy. And for what ever reason darker skinned women were not seen as desirable (in comparison to other complexions). So their were only a few spots reserved for darker girls regardless of how many of them dance circles around their competition. I’ve see it more times than I can count and it still bothers my soul. 

• I agree, while i have had success in the field, I've been passed up on in auditions because i am darker skinned and i have locs.. no matter how dolled up i am. It is what it is though, go where you're celebrated not tolerated. I commend southern for placing young women of all shades on the team. The past years lines have had the rainbow of blackness well represented

Glammy08 said:

Colorism is a pretty big issue in the dance world as a whole. I can’t speak on Southern because I’ve never participated in their program. But I do know that it’s a lot more difficult to make teams as a darker woman. Professional teams are based mainly upon what their audience would like to see. Eye candy. And for what ever reason darker skinned women were not seen as desirable (in comparison to other complexions). So their were only a few spots reserved for darker girls regardless of how many of them dance circles around their competition. I’ve see it more times than I can count and it still bothers my soul. 

• So Doc wouldn’t let them dance against the GGs and Jsettes??? Wow.

• Back in the late 70s early 80s, I don’t think it was the jsettes it was the GG’s. Diff time period and of course they were raunchy back then.

Sugamama said:

So Doc wouldn’t let them dance against the GGs and Jsettes??? Wow.

This reply was deleted.