A question for Real Band Directors for 2013!

"How do you define success in your school's music program?" A brief answer or a long answer is fine, because there is a necessity for clarity of what a successful band or music program looks like. It is a serious question posed for those who are Certified Band Directors. 

This question is for collegiate directors, high school directors, and middle school directors.

Use of this site is to gauge responses to this question. Thanks for responses!!

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• From a national standpoint...

National Standards for Music Education

1. Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.

2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.

3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.

4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.

5. Reading and notating music.

6. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.

7. Evaluating music and music performances.

8. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.

9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.

http://musiced.nafme.org/resources/national-standards-for-music-edu...

• Putting God first in your program!!

1.Certified Band Directors!!
    2. Teach fundamentals and not blowing!
    3. Good concert band
    4. Recruiting
    5. Rules and procedures
  • I look at the level my students started the school year at, and where they end at the conclusion of the school year. I look for improvement in their skills and knowledge year to year for my program.

• Thank you and you can never go wrong with National Standards in the classroom, no matter where you teach.
     Underage Thinker said:

From a national standpoint...

National Standards for Music Education

1. Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.

2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.

3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.

4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.

5. Reading and notating music.

6. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.

7. Evaluating music and music performances.

8. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.

9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.

http://musiced.nafme.org/resources/national-standards-for-music-edu...

How do you define success in your school's music program? A brief answer or a long answer is fine, because there is a necessity for clarity of what…
  • Great advice. If you don't mind my asking, What city and state are you a band director?

number1 said:

I look at the level my students started the school year at, and where they end at the conclusion of the school year. I look for improvement in their skills and knowledge year to year for my program.

How do you define success in your school's music program? A brief answer or a long answer is fine, because there is a necessity for clarity of what…

• Exactly! What university or high school are you the instructor?
     Professor Snipes said:

Putting God first in your program!!

1.Certified Band Directors!!
    2. Teach fundamentals and not blowing!
    3. Good concert band
    4. Recruiting
    5. Rules and procedures
  • Baker, Louisiana

DaCapo said:

Great advice. If you don't mind my asking, What city and state are you a band director?

number1 said:

I look at the level my students started the school year at, and where they end at the conclusion of the school year. I look for improvement in their skills and knowledge year to year for my program.

• consistency.
    improvement.
    growth.
  • Miles college

• i always look at success through a growth mindset as well as how many of my goals did i reach.like number1 i base it off where my students start at beginning school year and where they end.i set goals individually and as a group and set my goals based on the level of skill/knowledge we began with.if the percentage of the goals reached as well as the level of the goals keeps increasing every year,eventually the program will
    reach a level that is successful /excellent.
This reply was deleted.