After 43 years, the HBCU Dance Team trendsetter and innovator has retired and has been inducted into the JSU Sports Hall of Fame!

Every HBCU Dance Team has copied something from the Prancing J-Settes. After 43 years at JSU, The Prancing J-Settes sponsor from 1975 to 1997, Nara Dean Oatis has retired. The thing I remember the most about the Narah Dean Oatis era, were the false eyelashes, fishnet stockings, pony tails and class, poise, charm and beauty. Oh, and the awesome dance routines. I have to give the late Hollis Pippin, J-Settes choreographer, ex-twirler and the believed creator of J-Setting, some credit for those awesome routines.

He started out as drum major. When Helen Ford, who later became Miss Black America, came to J State, the two of them were twirlers who performed with The Boom as The Ebony Twins. At the same time, he was a stern task master as choreographer for the J-Settes. After he graduated and went to Hollywood, Helen became a J-Sette.

Narah Dean Oatis   Image result for hollis pippin images

Narah Dean Oatis                           Hollis Pippin

http://www.jsumsnews.com/?p=35710&utm_source=rss&utm_medium...

Views: 4721

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now, I do wish we could get the glam and elegance of the J-settes back that they had under Oatis.

lol that glam wouldn't last throughout the game as they would dance out of it. They dance much harder than what they used too, and I remember seeing a few uniforms with stuff hanging back then when they would dance out of it lol Feathers/trim everywhere lol

Christopher said:

Now, I do wish we could get the glam and elegance of the J-settes back that they had under Oatis.

Which means the style and intensity has changed over the years.  There were very few if any front pelvic thrusts back then (70s early to mid 80s).  Feathers flying everywhere, straps on character busted from bucking.

Stuntboi06 said:

lol that glam wouldn't last throughout the game as they would dance out of it. They dance much harder than what they used too, and I remember seeing a few uniforms with stuff hanging back then when they would dance out of it lol Feathers/trim everywhere lol

Christopher said:

Oh the pelvic thrusts were there they have just become more athletic since. And I wouldn't call the Settes version so much as pelvic thrusts, it's more in the chest and back which gives the illusion of a thrust. 

Christopher said:

Which means the style and intensity has changed over the years.  There were very few if any front pelvic thrusts back then (70s early to mid 80s).  Feathers flying everywhere, straps on character busted from bucking.

Stuntboi06 said:

Christopher said:

The pelvic thrusts is called bucking now!

I think when Mrs. Worthy took over as J-Settes sponsor, the J-Settes lost the class they had under Mrs. Oatis. Mrs. Worthy also brought in some awful uniforms, Car Wash, for one. Mrs. Worthy per say, dropped the ball on the legacy crated by Mrs. Oatis. :(

Stuntboi06 said:

Oh the pelvic thrusts were there they have just become more athletic since. And I wouldn't call the Settes version so much as pelvic thrusts, it's more in the chest and back which gives the illusion of a thrust. 

Christopher said:

Stuntboi06 said:

Christopher said:

Really sir? Bucking is way more than pelvic thrusts lol learn what your talking about before you speak and Mrs. Worthy was no Oatis, but she still brought some good things to the table. And least they have a legacy............

Joe Moore said:

I think when Mrs. Worthy took over as J-Settes sponsor, the J-Settes lost the class they had under Mrs. Oatis. Mrs. Worthy also brought in some awful uniforms, Car Wash, for one. Mrs. Worthy per say, dropped the ball on the legacy crated by Mrs. Oatis. :(

Stuntboi06 said:

Christopher said:

Stuntboi06 said:

Christopher said:

wow

Why DON'T you guy's JUST put in THE Mississippi civil rights museum???? I'm saying JUST saying.....YOU do seem to HAVE a patent ON bucking!!!!

if you aren't celebrating your 50th you aren't an originator, that term belongs to the GGs

trendsetters? I'd give that to the Jackson State Drum majors 

Why don't you ask your God to do it. Shandilyamai Shunai! Thank you Jesus!

honrae rokermore said:

Why DON'T you guy's JUST put in THE Mississippi civil rights museum???? I'm saying JUST saying.....YOU do seem to HAVE a patent ON bucking!!!!

Yeah let's not bring Mrs. Worthy into this. Both sponsors worked very hard during their time with the J-settes and they don't deserve to be compared to one another. 
Stuntboi06 said:

Really sir? Bucking is way more than pelvic thrusts lol learn what your talking about before you speak and Mrs. Worthy was no Oatis, but she still brought some good things to the table. And least they have a legacy............

Joe Moore said:

Stuntboi06 said:

Christopher said:

Stuntboi06 said:

Christopher said:

SATAN, GOD SEES YOU !!!!! #DANCINGBEAR ,BANDMUSIC AND YOUR POSSEE, ERIC TOO!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Marchingsport.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service