Critique: 2016 - 2017 MEAC Season

2016 - 2017 season has gone and passed.

It's approaching the summertime and I am very sure we have reviewed some of this past season. With that said let's talk about EVERYTHING and any type of critique on our MEAC Bands this could be anything Band, Arrangements, Auxiliaries, stands, halftime performances anything you can think of (Open Dialog).

Hopefully those who are viewing can give constructive criticism for those with the power that be can take notes on what others are saying.

Delaware State University

Howard

Morgan State

Norfolk State

FAMU

BCU

NCAT

NCCU

Savannah State

SCSU

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• wow! Who is doing the SWAC / MEAC challenge this year?

crimsonseeker said:

I need an Alcorn v BCU rematch.  I want pre-game all the way through fifth-quarter.  Maybe for 2018??  

The 2016 game rain-out was a travesty for the entire marching season.  lol.

2016 - 2017 season has gone and passed. It's approaching the summertime and I am very sure we have reviewed some of this past season. With that said…
  • O' that's an interesting match up.

crimsonseeker said:

The 2017 SWAC/MEAC Challenge match-up is South Carolina State U. vs. Southern on September 3, 2017.

J_AAMU said:

wow! Who is doing the SWAC / MEAC challenge this year?

crimsonseeker said:

I need an Alcorn v BCU rematch.  I want pre-game all the way through fifth-quarter.  Maybe for 2018??  

2016 - 2017 season has gone and passed. It's approaching the summertime and I am very sure we have reviewed some of this past season. With that said…
  • TXSU vs FAMU August 27th and we're coming! First time ever seeing each other, from my knowledge.

• Now you know we SWAC folks only lol.  I got love for the MEAC but the SWAC runs the HBCU band world bottom line.  The SWAC bands are way more interesting to watch and talk about.

With that said, the only MEAC bands I CASUALLY pay attention to are NCAT AND BCU.  I used to follow FAMU band but I don't any longer even though I know most people consider them to be a top tier HBCU band which they are better than most but I don't like to watch bands without dancers.  To me dancers complete the band, they're the beautiful eye candy and make watching bands that much more entertaining.

NCAT

I really like their band.  The only critique I have is to play more current songs.  Sometimes they get too caught in the classics which I love but again BALANCE is everything. Also I would like to see them be a bigger band, after all they are the largest HBCU in the nation.

BCU

I really like their band as well.  I have no real critique.  To me they're an all around solid and entertaining band.  

• I'll give SU the win for the band and football game.  SCSU has fallen off in both respects.  I hope they can rebound sooner than later.

crimsonseeker said:

The 2017 SWAC/MEAC Challenge match-up is South Carolina State U. vs. Southern on September 3, 2017.

J_AAMU said:

wow! Who is doing the SWAC / MEAC challenge this year?

crimsonseeker said:

• That'll be an interesting match up between the 2 bands.

KapellMaster said:

TXSU vs FAMU August 27th and we're coming! First time ever seeing each other, from my knowledge.

• I only pay attention to Norfolk, A&T, and BCU.

Norfolk: Great band. Numbers have fallen off, but very unique and disciplined. Hopefully they can get back on track and produce crazy trumpets.

A&T: Great field show band. Nice concepts and drumline. The dancers are very talented, but they seem to take over the band in the stands. Stand wise, they need more consistency. Not a fan of their song selections, but I like the east coast sound that they have, along with Norfolk.

BCU: We all know their pros and cons. Great sound and consistent field shows. Their book is terrible. 

• BCU is a great band with superb sound, however, as you've stated their book needs to be seriously updated.  And I'm not a huge fan of their arrangements.  At times, I don't know what they're playing.  Who's their arranger?

hrocket said:

I only pay attention to Norfolk, A&T, and BCU.

Norfolk: Great band. Numbers have fallen off, but very unique and disciplined. Hopefully they can get back on track and produce crazy trumpets.

A&T: Great field show band. Nice concepts and drumline. The dancers are very talented, but they seem to take over the band in the stands. Stand wise, they need more consistency. Not a fan of their song selections, but I like the east coast sound that they have, along with Norfolk.

BCU: We all know their pros and cons. Great sound and consistent field shows. Their book is terrible. 

This reply was deleted.