Derrick Yates new Director of Bands at Stillman College

Views: 2743

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

So tdc will be a repeat of mcc 12?

This is going to be an interesting marching season- AAMU with a new band director, Professor Yates at Stillman, and the hopeful return of the Marching 100. The suspense! Congratulations to Stillman though! 

Right very interesting season.

Congrats to Mr. Yates!! I know he will do great things. Also, good luck to my M.M.W. Fam...ABOVE and BEYOND!!!

Glad to hear it.  Politiks-wise, I think it sounds like a good move and a good fit. 

double numbers in the french horn, baritone, trombone and sousaphone sections???? HELLLLLL na.... maybe sousaphones... thats about it.   That article has alot of WRONG information in it.  But Congrats to Mr. Yates.

LOL. I was waiting on someone to point that article out. That article is a hot mess, and full of lies. Doubled in trumpets? When? What season? It was always 15-18 when he was interim. But anyway, if you think Stillman program suck now; just wait and see what Yates do to it. I hope he took BLyles with him to write music because Yates can't write isht!

 

Relevant alumni is so glad Yates is gone.

Chris said:

double numbers in the french horn, baritone, trombone and sousaphone sections???? HELLLLLL na.... maybe sousaphones... thats about it.   That article has alot of WRONG information in it.  But Congrats to Mr. Yates.

I wouldnt go that far.... Yates wont let Stillman sound like ish.... he knows what sounds good and what sounds like ish.   He will have to recruit "different".... Stillman is full of those Black Belt students who come from sub par poor high school band programs.  If he can get into Atlanta and get players who can already play.... he will be ok... but he definitely isnt teaching them "bad" players how to play better.  Thats the difference between him and Mr. Wesley... Wesley could take a poor player and make him better... Yates isnt a great "teacher".... he has to be given a talented player.

I've been hearing that B. Lyles will be arranging for Stillman College now.if so their sound is about to get a much needed overhaul!

Atlanta High School students is not trying to go to a school like Stillman with no "band name" recognition. He can forget that.  Yates isn't a great teacher because he didn't master the craft of playing a trumpet. That's sad. And sad for the students who will have a Band Director who they will never hear play his instrument.

Chris said:

I wouldnt go that far.... Yates wont let Stillman sound like ish.... he knows what sounds good and what sounds like ish.   He will have to recruit "different".... Stillman is full of those Black Belt students who come from sub par poor high school band programs.  If he can get into Atlanta and get players who can already play.... he will be ok... but he definitely isnt teaching them "bad" players how to play better.  Thats the difference between him and Mr. Wesley... Wesley could take a poor player and make him better... Yates isnt a great "teacher".... he has to be given a talented player.

Got disagree with you on that. If he builds a good product people will come. Regardless of band name. A lot of People like to be apart of something new. And if the band produces something great than the band name will shine brighter. Talladega college doesn't even have a football team, been in existence for less than 3 years and they already turning heads. It's very possible.

He didn't build one at A&M; so what makes you think he gone build one at Stillman? Why you thank he lost his job? Folks lose their job because they wasn't doing a good one.  Talladega College is foul; their leader foul. They doing the FAMU. Talladega aint nothing but an Allstar Band. Its folks marching in that band old. high school, not in school, etc. But back to the topic. Stillman College is on Yates level; it might work lol

Jonathan Parks said:

Got disagree with you on that. If he builds a good product people will come. Regardless of band name. A lot of People like to be apart of something new. And if the band produces something great than the band name will shine brighter. Talladega college doesn't even have a football team, been in existence for less than 3 years and they already turning heads. It's very possible.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Marchingsport.com.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service