Replies

• ?
  • I liked the 89 version better, but hell I think the 80's and 90's versions of HBCU bands were a lot better.
  • 1989 - MUCH more expressive. However the part for the Whales was better in 02.

SouthernWhiteHorse 

• I think they blended better in 2002, but the sound was more impactful in 1989.
  • I gotta give it to '89. I really felt that one. The vibe is always better when the song is new.
  • I think 2002 had a prettier and cleaner sound...I'm thinking 89 was more expressful and powerful  because this song was out and everyone knew every word to it and what the song meant,.... as with 02, those kids had no idea what the song (lyrics) were about, so they interpreted it as a ballad, just like any other concert selection lol....I love both sounds myself ;-) Hubba Hunnit!!!!
  • I Agree

SouthernWhiteHorse said:

1989 - MUCH more expressive. However the part for the Whales was better in 02.

SouthernWhiteHorse 

• Well put, 89 was hungrier for the tune while 02 basicly played it as if it was any other concert selection I likeed both... But I'm roll out with the 9 on this one.... I wonder how the 02 group would have sounded if they had got a chance to here them play it.

B-ToneExpressFamu98 said:

I think 2002 had a prettier and cleaner sound...I'm thinking 89 was more expressful and powerful  because this song was out and everyone knew every word to it and what the song meant,.... as with 02, those kids had no idea what the song (lyrics) were about, so they interpreted it as a ballad, just like any other concert selection lol....I love both sounds myself ;-) Hubba Hunnit!!!!
  • That's something I wonder about every band from before the youtube era....but then I look at how the new generation(with a few exceptions) doesn't really try any harder even though they do have access to the past and i think it probably wouldn't have made a difference at all. Personally, for me to see how high the older band set the bar, would make me hellbent on matching that sound if not surpassing it. It's easy to say the '02 band didn't know what it meant, but they were definitely around when "Congratulations" came out....it's a 13 year difference between those bands. Look at what SU did in the fall with "Nobody's Supposed To Be Here." That tune turned out to be one of, it not their best song of the season....and that was 12 years after the song came out.

TAPEMASTER said:

Well put, 89 was hungrier for the tune while 02 basicly played it as if it was any other concert selection I likeed both... But I'm roll out with the 9 on this one.... I wonder how the 02 group would have sounded if they had got a chance to here them play it.

B-ToneExpressFamu98 said:

I think 2002 had a prettier and cleaner sound...I'm thinking 89 was more expressful and powerful  because this song was out and everyone knew every word to it and what the song meant,.... as with 02, those kids had no idea what the song (lyrics) were about, so they interpreted it as a ballad, just like any other concert selection lol....I love both sounds myself ;-) Hubba Hunnit!!!!
    FAMU 2002 Vs. FAMU 1989 (Congratulations Battle) What Do You Think ?

This reply was deleted.