Replies

• Taking a page from what JSU did during the 2012-2013 season, I would say that the band is going to get smaller. Here are a few reasons why.

1. New Leadership.

• Lots of changes will occur. Not everyone is going to like this guy on a personal level starting off. Some individuals would be willing to see if things will pan out before making a decision to march, how he will lead the band. After that first year is when they'll start raising hell in the SWAC again. 

2. Reputation.

• Last year's fiasco about the scholarship money was one that significantly altered Valley's year. Since the last BD, I've seen their growth stagnate to a screeching halt. It lasted up until JSU, but after that, their sense of expectancy declined. 

3. BD's Discretion. 

• The band director will be trying to milk the best from the others. Not only will he be looking for the ability to play scales, but the ability to articulate, the ability to shorten and extend phrases when needed to capture the rich tones his arrangements call for. He will be looking for percussionists who can read and play all of their rudiments. I'm not saying that there's none of that at Valley, but he's going to want more, especially given his reputation.

Now I am going to say that there are a few things that could alter this result, though some reasons are more unlikely than others. 

1. BD's Credentials.

• Wrote for Morris Brown, lead Morehouse to the Honda, worked on the pregame show for Superbowl XXI, etc. His arrangement style is far different from many others who had came and left Valley. 

2. Band's Reputation From the Previous Year.

• Students who were still interested due to the last year's performance, especially against FAMU, Alcorn and even holding down against JSU. I wouldn't be surprised if those performances were key factors for some deciding students. 

3. Defectors.

• Some band directors have so much of a charm and skill that they would even have band members from a previous school follow them into another school. Though that is highly unlikely due to the vast courses Morehouse has to offer in comparison to MVSU, the possibility still stands (albeit a small chance).

Other than that. I know that things are going to be rather humble at the start of the year. By the end of the mid season is when Valley will start cranking out songs with clarity and technicality. But that's only what I'm expecting. Other's expectations may vary, but I tend to look to a positive outcome. 

With that size deduction, there will be an increase of quality. Then the band will grow from there.

• Pretty Good Synopsis

Dexter Acacio Lee said:

Taking a page from what JSU did during the 2012-2013 season, I would say that the band is going to get smaller. Here are a few reasons why.

1. New Leadership.

• Lots of changes will occur. Not everyone is going to like this guy on a personal level starting off. Some individuals would be willing to see if things will pan out before making a decision to march, how he will lead the band. After that first year is when they'll start raising hell in the SWAC again. 

2. Reputation.

• Last year's fiasco about the scholarship money was one that significantly altered Valley's year. Since the last BD, I've seen their growth stagnate to a screeching halt. It lasted up until JSU, but after that, their sense of expectancy declined. 

3. BD's Discretion. 

• The band director will be trying to milk the best from the others. Not only will he be looking for the ability to play scales, but the ability to articulate, the ability to shorten and extend phrases when needed to capture the rich tones his arrangements call for. He will be looking for percussionists who can read and play all of their rudiments. I'm not saying that there's none of that at Valley, but he's going to want more, especially given his reputation.

Now I am going to say that there are a few things that could alter this result, though some reasons are more unlikely than others. 

1. BD's Credentials.

• Wrote for Morris Brown, lead Morehouse to the Honda, worked on the pregame show for Superbowl XXI, etc. His arrangement style is far different from many others who had came and left Valley. 

2. Band's Reputation From the Previous Year.

• Students who were still interested due to the last year's performance, especially against FAMU, Alcorn and even holding down against JSU. I wouldn't be surprised if those performances were key factors for some deciding students. 

3. Defectors.

• Some band directors have so much of a charm and skill that they would even have band members from a previous school follow them into another school. Though that is highly unlikely due to the vast courses Morehouse has to offer in comparison to MVSU, the possibility still stands (albeit a small chance).

Other than that. I know that things are going to be rather humble at the start of the year. By the end of the mid season is when Valley will start cranking out songs with clarity and technicality. But that's only what I'm expecting. Other's expectations may vary, but I tend to look to a positive outcome. 

With that size deduction, there will be an increase of quality. Then the band will grow from there.

Mississippi Valley State Band Big or Small 2014?
    How Big Do You Think The Band Will Be This Year? Rumor is everyone had to audition (even returning members).
  • You must not know about Blake Gains? He will take 40 and make them sound like 160. Big or small, MVSU will  be BLOWIN this year! And expect their drills to improving significantly.

• Looking forward to seeing how Valley improves this year

• I know Blake and I do expect them to come up

• Maybe im wrong but it seems like they have a new director every couple years. You can never have a strong program like that.
  • Well, big or small, it really don't matter. MVSU will be puttin out some serious watts. Blake has turned bands around within the first year of him being there numerous amount of times, high school and college bands. Ppl really sleep on Blake Gaines, and Idk why ppl think that MVSU ain't got no talented players. Blake knows how to TEACH. I've seen him turn a bass drum player into a sax player, a sax player into a mellophone player, a flute player to a tuba player and a non bandsman into great instrumentalist. I'll give him about 3 years to turn MVSU into a 256 piece powerhouse band
  • I hope there is more emphasis on musicianship than being loud. Size really doesn't matter at this point. 

• It really depends on how much money the staff/administration is willing to spend.

• I'm going to be fair. There are a lot of options in Atlanta, especially when it comes to a higher education. Not only that, but you have so many other schools locally who march. Atlanta is divided, so there aren't that many in a band there. Look at Morehouse/Spellman, Clark Atlanta, Georgia Tech, even Morris Brown trying to restart their program from the first brick.

Now add in the other schools in the state. Way too many decisions in one area and even more (and more notable) choices in the state. Go to Mississippi and you'll have a lot less choices when it comes to being a black student. One school is blatantly racist (Ole Miss), the other's band is boring (Miss State), school is barely notable, too small for notoriety in terms of band, marching style, etc. Thus leaving three options in the ENTIRE STATE (JSU, Alcorn, Valley) if you want to travel and crank on another band. And those three schools (especially JSU) tend to recruit out of state as much as the football teams would. 

TL;DR: Valley won't be marching with +250 in the first few years, but it will get there eventually. Valley was once like that. It's possible to get back to it.

altosax said:

question did he turn morehouse into a 256 marching powerhouse lol... I thought Valley will either..... 

Bradley♬♬♬Bland said:

Well, big or small, it really don't matter. MVSU will be puttin out some serious watts. Blake has turned bands around within the first year of him being there numerous amount of times, high school and college bands. Ppl really sleep on Blake Gaines, and Idk why ppl think that MVSU ain't got no talented players. Blake knows how to TEACH. I've seen him turn a bass drum player into a sax player, a sax player into a mellophone player, a flute player to a tuba player and a non bandsman into great instrumentalist. I'll give him about 3 years to turn MVSU into a 256 piece powerhouse band
    Mississippi Valley State Band Big or Small 2014?
    How Big Do You Think The Band Will Be This Year? Rumor is everyone had to audition (even returning members).
This reply was deleted.