Replies

• itz ironic that the 99 senior class crab year was 96 and 08 senior class crab year was 05, in my opinion this is y those years u named mirrored each other especially 96 and 99, 05 and 08 were similar but not as much do to the bd change.....

1. 08- a damn good year, outstanding balance and song selection
    2. 99- 96 and 99 were very similar but other than trumpets 99 had a lil more muscle
    3. 96- a beast, all i gotta say is trumpets !!!! every other sec. held it down too tho
    4. 05- another damn good year but balance was a lil off, it think they had like 18 bones, 16 btones, and 9 or 10 mellos
  • 1. 96- Trumpets were crazy and the year of Where Do We Go From Here, and the birth of Twisted, they had raw power and finess!
    2. 05- SU was unstoppable, And Then What is all i have to say! I felt them in Reliant and the Classic! Very Intense!
    3. 99- Good Band, Swac Championship, Sunshine by KoKo was a beast Can You Feel It was destructive, i think that was the birth of that song for them!
    4. 08- Clean Sound, though SU sounds better they are not as intense as the 05 and 90's editions but that's not a bad thing. Sounding good is the most important thing and they have upgraded in that area. 08's book was very good this year, i put them 4th because of the intensity factor and trumpets!

Just opinions peeps so don't get your panties all in a bunch! LOL!
  • So far I think the above assessments are pretty accurate. At least in my opinion.

My rankings would be
    96= fineese and power
    99= powerful, raw, smashmouth, in your face loose sound
    08= smooth fineese clean, with a nice book, but could have used a little more power
    05= powerful aggressive band with a nice book also!

From 1990 to 2008 these four bands would be in my top 5 bands. I would add 93 to that list!
  • 1. 2008
    2. 2005
    3. 1996
    4. 1999

I will always say that the 2000's had better sounding bands.
  • Permalink Reply by number1 2 hours ago
    1. 2008
    2. 2005
    3. 1996
    4. 1999

I will always say that the 2000's had better sounding bands.

This is a generalized statement and is your opinion, which you are entitled to. But lets really analize this. Was 03 really cleaner than 93? Was 04 really cleaner than 94? Was 05 really cleaner than 95? Was 06 really cleaner than 96? You get my point. The fact of the matter is you have some bands in the 2000 era that was cleaner than the 90's editions and some of the 90's bands were cleaner than some of the 2000's edition bands. But all in all I think you miss the whole point of why most people love SU. It is a good sounding clean band but also you look for that dirty, grimy, raw slap you in your face sound. And when the mixture of the two come together you get a sound that you just don't get anywhere else.
  • SU will always be known for having that edgy, heavy brass sound. 2008 and 2005 just stood out more than the other two bands on the list.

I gave 2008 the edge because of the overall field show performance, diversity of repertoire, and overall sound.
  • the 96 band shouldn't even be in the same sentence with hem 2000's bands, and to be honest 08' & 05' was nowhere near the level of 95, 96, 97. let's not forget people we're talking about the years that made SU the force we know today.
  • what abt those 80's band 85, 86, 88

petey shy said:
    the 96 band shouldn't even be in the same sentence with hem 2000's bands, and to be honest 08' & 05' was nowhere near the level of 95, 96, 97. let's not forget people we're talking about the years that made SU the force we know today.
    Rank SU 96,99,05,08
    Which is better in what order and why?
  • Due to age, I was unable to personally see any of the 80's editions of Southern, but the clips show that those bands were awesome.
  • It is all about preference.

petey shy said:
    the 96 band shouldn't even be in the same sentence with hem 2000's bands, and to be honest 08' & 05' was nowhere near the level of 95, 96, 97. let's not forget people we're talking about the years that made SU the force we know today.
    Rank SU 96,99,05,08
    Which is better in what order and why?
This reply was deleted.