Replies are closed for this discussion.
1. Hurricane Katrina causes us to miss our opening game against McNeese State and forces the Bayou Classic to be moved to Houston. Also we missed close to 2 weeks of school.
2. Hurricane Rita causes us to miss the game against Albany State, and puts the date and location of the game against TXSU in question.
3. The Boom gets mopped in Mumford.
4. GSU gets it bad up close and personal at Reliant.
5. Atlanta trip provides me my first chance to see the Atlanta bands in action.
6. Doc falling out of his chair on the practice field, and trying not to laugh at it.
7. Season of the Tiger fiasco
8. All the arguments with the CBs about whose high school band and state was superior.
9. The many famous sayings of the BDs.
10. The transition from the Doc regime to Mr. Jackson.
2005 produced classics such as:
1. I'm Dreamin'
2. And Then What
3. Fly Like A Bird
My crab year at Texas Southern:
As far as Big Events goes:
1. 2005 Crab class was huge for the OCEAN...it was 75% Freshmen in the band...We knew we were the new era for the OCEAN. because all of us were recruited to come to TSU...I still remember the crab numbers in each section (brass)...
We had 25-tpets, 10-mellos, 19-btones, 6-tbones(lol), 8-tubas...Those were just the crab numbers...we all could play & produce...A lot of my crab bros & sis were from Memphis, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Atlanta, Jackson, & Shreveport.
Prof Gibson knew what he was doing when he was recruiting.
Our 1st game against PV was postpone due to Hurricane Katrina & Rita...PV was about to get the business once again as usual...Our real 1st game was against the boom...that's why they got smashed so hard in 2005...We had to wait all the wait until late sept to see a band...JSU was my 1st SWAC hour, and we smashed them with ease!!!
We held down all our peeps from NOLA in the band, because they were really going thur hard times, so we as band was there for them, That hurricane was to real...
We were suppose to see SU, but due to the hurricane we didn't because they kept changing the game location...and we ended up playing PV for the last game...the same day as the bayou classic...the games were actually back 2 back, in reliant.
SONGS: Slow Down, She's Fresh, Off the wall, Don't Cha, And then what....-real talk...the book was to deep...2005 was the beginning of the New TxSU Band...The Gibson Era!!!... I will tell more later